Winter is sure wearing on the deer!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's only mid January and the deer are hitting the bales in the backyard pretty good. That usually doesn't happen until late February or March when they're scrapping the bottom of the food barrel. The half bushel of corn along with the bales should get them by, but if any more show up, I'll have to put out a full bushel. LOTS of little ones. Which is good and bad. Negative 20 temps just plain hammers on them little peanuts. They still look real good, but I'll be keeping an eye on the whole bunch. This pic was taken today at 2pm. They started coming in about 15 minutes after I dumped the corn at 9am. They are listening for the bucket I'm sure. Oh, well. I sure like to watch'em in the winter and the corn is cheap entertainment. Better than the idiot box as far as I'm concerned. A good drink and deer. Not a bad combo if you ask me. Enjoy!!

DSC04402.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as i dont like moving snow if we dont get any down here its going to be really dry. ground is bare the little bit we had melted a few weeks ago.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are those alfalfa bales KDM?

Deer only come up that close to my house at night...to rub their antlers on my fruit trees...!

Not pure alfalfa. Some grass, some sedges, some alfalfa, some slough grass, some weeds, some of everything really. I get'em from a very gracious fellow NDA ne'er-do-well. The deer don't seem to care too much. They eat what they want and bed down in what they leave. The bales are 22 yards from my deck door. I can identify many of the deer by where they have lost hair on their bodies. It's great to watch the does box. Lots of guys think the bucks get into some frackuses. Them does don't pull any punches and I've seen more than one anterless buck get shown the door by a doe. It's pretty funny really.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This winter is wearing on me too. Me and arther are having a real go round this winter for some reason. Some days I cant even make a fist to shake. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This winter is wearing on me too. Me and arther are having a real go round this winter for some reason. Some days I cant even make a fist to shake. LB

If you can't make a fist, kick'em in the ding ding. All's fair in love and winter. Er' sumptin lik dat.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like women in the "human world"...

Ha!! Aint that the truth..... Just dumped another bucket o corn. Enough fawns comin' in to warrant a bit more. Preggo does could use a boost as well. Damn cold out there!!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep pretty much seeing deer out feeding all day long now.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Continue to feed alfalfa bales along with corn mixed in. A lot of deer and hope most drop horns near the feed or close to it. Some decent bucks and some have lost. One friend has found 80 and another 50 as of last week. Getting kinda expense but cannot stop now and hope to get some nice pairs and have the same deer come up next year.

Last night had 3 coyotes after a fawn on camera. What is left of the fawn is laying about 75 yards from feed. They have come up during the day and son is now out there to claim their fur. Hope it works for him. Also have moose coming up and they just love to lay on the feed for hours on end. Damn rodents but not as bad as the elk. db

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants are taking it pretty hard to around here. Everytime they get scratched down to bare ground the flippin wind buries it a day later. I put out straw bales a few days ago and they're covered with drifts. Push down some more shelterbelts

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Called and son has three so far.
Deer are back up there including the two bigger ones.
Maybe time for coyote call tomorrow next door.
Have a few pleasant around and it seems like a lot of partridge this year. db

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figure2a-4-1024x819.jpg

I am ready for global warming anytime now. Dont forget to plug in your ford lightning

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The coyotes are sure shadowing the deer herds. One day I seen 20 coyotes on about four sections. In the same area I only seen two the next day. I seen most on warm. calm, sunny days. Three pulled down a die and were eating her. The area was so flat and white I couldn't get a range. I had three rangefinders in the vehicle and none wiukd range them. The grass closest to them was 650 yards, but I had no idea if they were 50 or 200 yards beyond the grass. Three days and one coyote. These artificial knees will not get me through the snow and away from the roads. I guess coyotes are worth very little to nothing and hunting them has dropped off. Go kill some for the deer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With what you can get for a yote I just use them for fertilizer. Kind of spotty but what the hell. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM I think that is a great thing you do for the deer. Also the chances that you give young hunters the opportunity to harvest a deer. I don't have any bales or corn available but if it comes to the need to purchase, please PM me as I would like to make a contribution for what you do.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do the same north of Bismarck been feeding animals corn etc.., pheasants hate oats not sure why lots of animals I have about 20" snow and bunch of tree rows. Think next year will dig up and plant some seed can get from Chesak Seed that grows all kinds of plants for year round feeding, hope it does rain. My therapy too, nice hard drink and watch animals. My boy keeps asking why we bust hump hunting for animals when the back 40 is full of nice critters. Getting soft in old age.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM I think that is a great thing you do for the deer. Also the chances that you give young hunters the opportunity to harvest a deer. I don't have any bales or corn available but if it comes to the need to purchase, please PM me as I would like to make a contribution for what you do.

Wow!! Thanks for the offer. I bought some extra bushels (50) of corn to get my herd through this cold azz winter, so I should be good for the critters right around here. I'm set up to carry the deer 'til spring, which is what you MUST do if you start to feed'em. Starting to feed and then stopping after the deer congregate around the food is FAR WORSE than just leaving them alone. corn is $6 a bushel right now and I feed a bushel a day give'er take depending on how many deer I have coming in. The bale helps for filler and browse. Feeding only corn is NOT a good idea. They need some variety, which is why I like these mix of everything kind of bales. If we get more snow, I might take you up on that offer. Thanks Again!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My therapy too, nice hard drink and watch animals. Getting soft in old age.

Yep!! Some folks might be of the mind that doing this doesn't amount to a spit in the river, but I get a warm fuzzy when I see them little fawns and pregnant does come in and enjoy what I put out for'em. If I had a wood burning stove in the living room, my perfect evening would be a good fire, good drink, and watching the deer not starve. I'll take two out of three though. Stay Warm!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74