Winter is sure wearing on the deer!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fairly deep and HARD PACKED snow here,
Deer are in a bit of trouble now.

That Sucks!!! Hard snow or an ice storm is the WORST!!! April or late March ice storms are what scare me the most. They flat out kill pheasants and lock up what little food is left for the deer when they've used up their fat reserves just getting through February. Mom nature can go full PMS in zero point zero seconds it seems. Hope your herd gets a break here real soon.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
These winds are awful - but they do blow crop fields open. As of two days ago all our snow was half topsoil.

GROSS.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Next week looks better.

Let's hope March doesn't pull any shenanigan's or all the pheasants in my area are toast. Every cattail slough is blown completely full.

Yes, I'm still seeing roosters but very few hens. I think they took the winter hard.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Cross Ranch State Park (NW of Bismarck) a few weeks ago and deer in the Missouri bottoms seemed very healthy. Herds seemed to average 20 and saw plenty of bucks still holding on to their horns....Had a couple REALLY nice whitetail bucks skylined on a ridge, wish I could have gotten a pic (I know, it didn't happen).

Snow was very minimal in the area. Very different than what is between Jamestown and Casselton.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bad thing about this last blizzard is that where I have been feeding phesants on the way to town is now blocked so bad I dont think the township will try to open it back up. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a couple new visitors this morning. I guess I'll have to update my list of attendees to the banquet. LOL!! Though I think the Shrike was here for something other than the corn or hay. For some reason the tweety birds are noticeably absent. (Grin) Enjoy!!

DSC04584.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do they also call them camp-robbers. Kind of looks like the birds that used to show up at elk camp in Colorado. Were not scared of humans at all. Started to toss them tid-bits one afternoon and ended-up with one that would sit on my fingers while I fed him pieces of chips. He would fly off into the pines for about 5 sec. and then be back for more, I think he was staching for a rainy day. After a few more coors light that I was not sharing with him I finally got him to set on my pointy finger and then pinned his toes with my thumb. I learned just how fast a friendship can end. Think I can still see the scar on my thumb where that peckerhead poked me and my buddies got it all on film. Kind of funny, still makes me laugh today. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rough on equipment too. So far today 2 batteries one 6 months old and one 12 years old (will not cry over the last one) and the first one free replacement, AND front pass brake on my 150 locked up and I had to slide it home about a 1/2 mile. Glad the road was solid ice. Pocketbook going to hurt. LB

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Me and the better half went for a drive last weekend through the river valley. Lots of deer in small groups of 4-6 around fort ransom and down 46 which was good to see. Still quite a few pheasants cruising around as well. Hopefully we can avoid any bad spring storms. I've seen more pheasants the last two years than I have in a decade. Hope it stays that way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77