How cool is this?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot 2022-01-27 113105.jpg
https://www.accuweather.com/en/leisure-recreation/live-news/weather-permitting-photo-blog/933860

- - - Updated - - -

The scale of it is hard to appreciate until you see the guy skating on it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen smaller examples of this, but never anything so regular, or large. Pretty cool pics.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavenly Father has ALWAYS been the best artist. Awe Inspiring!!!

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty cool. Having a hard time buying "Professor Popsicle's" Canadian explanation on what caused it as I don't see a flake of snow anywhere in the pics, even on the tops of the mountains in the background...

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
me too remm. me too. unless of course it was the very first forming of ice... sub inch kind of stuff with a light snow covering that then was flooded with the water seepage under the weight of the snow. but, that still seems like a funny mechanism for the concentric circles starting in the center and radiating out like ripples from a drop of rain. i was pondering another process myself

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While this should be in my wheelhouse, I will readily admit to also not being fully sold on the cause of it. I would have thought the ice would need to be awfully thin to follow his explanation. And under that hypothesis, I sure would be hesitant to skate on it. Skates are a poor excuse for fins.

Yeah, back in the day a buddy and I would trap rats over Christmas break. We strapped on the skates a couple of years to quickly cover the ground and thin ice over rat runs saw us get wet a couple of times.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76