Apache Trout

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To each their own but it's hard to imagine the fun of catching finger size fish. Wonder what size the record fish is? Guess it's no different than us who have to have a 170+ whitetail or mulie to think it's a trophy compared to a 100+ Coues or Sitka Blacktail.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
gotta use a limp dick rod fishin for those minnows other wise your hook sets end up in the tree'sbehind ya.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have scads of fond memories chasing creek chubs with minute hooks and tiny pieces of worm. A 6 incher was a MONSTER and I loved every minute of it. Small fish don't necessarily mean no excitement. From what I can see in the video, it doesn't look like too bad a place to spend some time in natures peace and quiet.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have scads of fond memories chasing creek chubs with minute hooks and tiny pieces of worm. A 6 incher was a MONSTER and I loved every minute of it. Small fish don't necessarily mean no excitement. From what I can see in the video, it doesn't look like too bad a place to spend some time in natures peace and quiet.

My black lab “Duke” and I spent countless hours chasing creek chubs up and down a local drainage. Very fond memories as a kid.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the Hills we have scads of small creeks containing native brook trout. It's not about the size...something intangible and intriguing about such small streams being home to these jewels. We used to have great fun exploring no-name creeks and occasionally scoring an 8-12 incher. We've stumbled on three creeks supporting wild rainbow and brown. Thank God these creeks are considered treasure and there's no movement to poison and re-stock. WV's put and take brooks are a Maine strain therefore correct re-stocking could be quite the process.

I never dreamed of such a place in AZ. Too cool IMHO.

Slightly OT. I love stuff like this:

https://wchstv.com/news/local/wild-trout-stream-elkhorn-creek-cleanup

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree svn,spent many days fly fishing in colorado high country,hiking miles of creeks gold panning and sniffing around old native camp sits/teepee rings we usually collected a few articats,arrowheads etc
and toting a 5wt fly rod,nothin better than a creek side fresh panfried trout lunch,my pack always had a small fry pan and seasoning just for these special occasions

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trout fishing is fun when the walleyes are not biting. Haven’t really fished small streams before for small trout. What I would like to do more of is trying to use my fly rod to catch creek chubs. Anyone use a specific fly to catch creek chubs?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy that owned some land with a small stream running through it in Virginia. He hung a sled on a cable system between two trees and put road kill in it so the maggots and other insects attracted to the meat would fall into the water to feed the trout. He had 10 lb trout in a stream you could jump across in most places. It was a pretty cool idea and it worked to perfection.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my area we have "redtail chubs we trapped for mid season walleyes on lakes loaded with perch so we couldn't use crawlers or leeches,these chubs are very aggressive feeders,I kicked a field mouse into a holding tank full of these chubs,they devoured that little critter in no time.

any type of dry fly #16 on up mid summer works they are aggressive feeders.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trout fishing is fun when the walleyes are not biting. Haven’t really fished small streams before for small trout. What I would like to do more of is trying to use my fly rod to catch creek chubs. Anyone use a specific fly to catch creek chubs?

IME you'd do fine with a cotton ball affixed to a #12 egg hook. For that matter you could also catch wild brooks with that rig. They'll bite damn near anything. The key is make sure your profile or especially shadow doesn't spook them.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red Tails back in the walleye tournament days we paid a buck or two for each was a secret back than.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy that owned some land with a small stream running through it in Virginia. He hung a sled on a cable system between two trees and put road kill in it so the maggots and other insects attracted to the meat would fall into the water to feed the trout. He had 10 lb trout in a stream you could jump across in most places. It was a pretty cool idea and it worked to perfection.
Are you buddies with Lycan?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME you'd do fine with a cotton ball affixed to a #12 egg hook. For that matter you could also catch wild brooks with that rig. They'll bite damn near anything. The key is make sure your profile or especially shadow doesn't spook them.

Or a strip of a white shopping bag. Cotton can clog gills.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This thread has me in memory lane,worked in Alaska for several years up on the slope,when not in camp spent many hours fly fishing as many streams as possible,my best trophy was grayling...

A blast on a 5wt rod dry fly. this guy was incidental fishing silver's with a 8wt fly rod but fun none the less,man do they get acrobatic.

gray.jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish they'd try those in the Tailrace. Gorgeous.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69