Tom Hoge pro golfer from Fargo

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a 3 way tie for the lead at the pebble beach pro am tournament . Watched on tv today and they didn't show him at all. Wonder whats up with that ? Go Tommy.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was given tickets back in 2008 or 2009. You park 20 miles away at Ft. Ord and ride a bus to whichever course you want to watch. We went to Spyglass. It had rained, my tennies got soaked and I wouldn't go again if free tickets were offered - they haven't been. We saw Phil Mickelson, Josh Duhamel and Bill Murray among lots of others.

Did see Clint Eastwood one time when we were in Carmel tho.

I was a SCUBA diver for 25 years and we used to dive in Carmel Bay. Should have anchored up off the 18th green on Pebble Beach, done our dives and came up with some rockfish we speared and then striped down and took our warm water shower from our 5 gallon insulated buckets and gotten dressed. Would have surely gotten on tv doing that.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bill Murray is actually a decent golfer and always quite the character. This was one of his putts today.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a 3 way tie for the lead at the pebble beach pro am tournament . Watched on tv today and they didn't show him at all. Wonder whats up with that ? Go Tommy.

Not sure as i tuned in late to see Spieth finish but i assume not much coverage of Hoge as perhaps he finished earlier..no clue..but if he is on the top rung of the leaderboard today..ie final couple of groups..he should get plenty of TV time..esp if he holds,gains his postion. I think he finished like 3rd in a tourney a week or so ago so hopefully his success continues!

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got paired up with Tom once in a high school meet. I was a senior and I thought he was too by how serious and focused he was on his game. He smoked me, think he shot in the mid 70’s that day and I shot in mid 80’s… asked him what grade he was in towards the end of the day and he said freshman… ha, didn’t feel so bad years later when I heard he made the pro’s…

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
He currently has a 2 shot lead with one hole to play. Has played a very nice back 9. Keep it up.

And he wins. Nice tournament.

Last edited:

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked up the purse. From what I can tell it's a $1,566,000 payout for 1st place. Definetaly not a Walleye Tournament payout! ;:;rofl

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice to see him win. He was in a competitive trance, I didn't see him crack a smile even after he won. Hope he can keep finding that groove.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spieth melted down at the end - Hoge was in a zone like you said Davey.....awesome win!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched it from start to finish. I'm sure that Hoge was in the last 3 some that tee'd off at 10 am our Pacific time. It was on the golf channel until CBS picked it up at 1 pm our time. But at the end there were 2 golfers playing 18 after the 3 some that Hoge was in. I don't know what happened!!!

Yah, I skipped the Pro Bowl - BFD.

I might have considered watching the super bowl next weekend if the '9ers hadn't folded at the end last weekend.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We decided to camp at Art Link cabin in Cross Ranch State Park for Superbowl Sunday.....we'll miss some parties but will find our own fun!

I watched it from start to finish. I'm sure that Hoge was in the last 3 some that tee'd off at 10 am our Pacific time. It was on the golf channel until CBS picked it up at 1 pm our time. But at the end there were 2 golfers playing 18 after the 3 some that Hoge was in. I don't know what happened!!!

Yah, I skipped the Pro Bowl - BFD.

I might have considered watching the super bowl next weekend if the '9ers hadn't folded at the end last weekend.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't there also some gal from Farhole that was doing well at the professional level? Who would have thunk Fargo is the proving grounds in the golf world... Good for them.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't there also some gal from Farhole that was doing well at the professional level? Who would have thunk Fargo is the proving grounds in the golf world... Good for them.

Yup Amy Anderson .

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked up the purse. From what I can tell it's a $1,566,000 payout for 1st place. Definetaly not a Walleye Tournament payout! ;:;rofl
Yeah unfortunately he won it in CA, so he will get less than half after taxes.;:;banghead

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah unfortunately he won it in CA, so he will get less than half after taxes.;:;banghead

Not true:

California state tax rates and tax brackets
Tax rateTaxable income bracketTax owed
10.3%$312,687 to $375,221.$26,082.09 plus 10.3% of the amount over $312,686.
11.3%$375,222 to $625,369.$32,523.20 plus 11.3% of the amount over $375,221.
12.3%$625,370 or more.$60,789.92 plus 12.3% of the amount over $625,369.

He will owe CA $176,487 + some change.

Of course he can deduct expenses paid to come to Pebble Beach and play the tournament from that. Pebble Beach Lodge is NOT CHEAP!

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

You pay income tax in your state of residence not where it's earned.

- - - Updated - - -

CA state tax is ridiculous BTW. Minnefornia is working toward that malarky as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always said, if everyone had to pay taxes on a quarterly basis instead of having it withheld, tax rates in this country would be a lot lower overall.

Phil Mickelson paid 61% for winning a couple of tournaments in Great Britain. So maybe California's tax rates ain't so bad? :;:huh

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

CA state tax is ridiculous BTW. Minnefornia is working toward that malarky as well.

I didn't think it's that clear cut. I thought for sure some states will tax you for earnings/winnings in their state even though you aren't a resident of that state, as I believe California does for winning an event there (too much gameshow money for them to not do it in their eyes). But you then get to deduct the taxes paid to California from your home state income tax obligations. And I am pretty sure this changes state by state.

At least, that was my understanding from years ago. Maybe it's been stream-lined a little since then.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not true in all cases. I live/have my place of residence in CA, but own farm land in ND that we rent out. We pay ND state income taxes on farm rental and deduct it from CA taxes.

Plus I seem to remember that professional athletes FB, Baseball and BB pay state income taxes on their income from games played in the states that they play in. If we have a pro athlete in the group maybe they could enlighten us.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73