Extreme Gen2 Bipod

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a lightweight bipod and was wondering if anyone had any real world feedback on the extreme gen2s?
Thanks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
HATED them!! Actually ended up giving them away.

Not lightweight but there are no replacements for Harris.

Yeah - I borrowed one and had mixed feelings about their features.

GWF verdict: the perfect bipod doesn't yet exist

so much depends on the conditions under which you hunt

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can see where Spartans serve their purpose. If you're not a "bipod guy" and you want that alternative/option they're ok and they work in a pinch.

Just don't expect to dig them in and preload them like you do/can a set of Harris.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Appreciate the feedback. It's nice having options but also makes it hard to make up my mind.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the NeoPod which is like 4 oz with mount and a BackLanz bipod on my lightweight rifles. My son has the Rugged Ridge Outdoor Gear Gen 2 Extreme Bipod not cheap any 3 of them,but work great when lightweight packing in the mountains.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess for me when doing legit 10 day backpack hunts, one of the few options is the Spartan. Anything over 8oz and the weight penalty isn't worth it and I'd just as well shoot off my pack like I did before. As with everything when it comes to backpack hunting, the lightweight version is typically not as good as something that is heavier so we have to play the game on where its worth the penalty and where it isn't. I was shooting off my pack just fine, but for 5 oz, the Spartan is worth the small penalty. Some guys agree, some guys would still rather shoot off their pack, and a very few bring a heavier bipod. Most of the sheep hunters I know use them and the ones that don't typically shoot off their packs. I can't find any other bipod that is worth the weight penalty for that application IMO. And when dealing with alders and willow, something that attaches/detaches in literally less than a second is awesome!

With that said, I can absolutely see why people don't like the Spartan. As advertised, it's features are limited to lightweight and a little bit of stabilization - typically paired with resting the butt of the gun on a pack. But again, if you got a 55lb pack, are looking at a 10 mile pack in, and need a bipod; it's the winner by a long shot. If you have a daypack on and are doing a few miles a day and want something kinda light, then ya, there are better options; especially if you don't have to worry about busting brush. I typically use a harris bipod for anything but sheep and goat hunting. I will be doing a hunt in about a month off snowmobiles, I will use my Harris bipod for that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a coulpa 40 year old Harris bipods with the ajustable legs. Workes well for prairie dogs and elk hunting sets. One year I just left one on my Rem 300 mag when I came back from elk hunting and used that gun one day deer hunting. On the way to my hilltop stand I jumped a nice buck and fired a whole 4 round clip before he died. The legs of the bipod were fully extended after those 4 rounds. Gun did have a recoil that I dont miss nowdays. LB

sheds

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my wife a swagger bipod and really like the movement they have. They are really easy to adjust up and down and u can swing aways side to side without picking up the gun. Kinda bulky but works really good in my opinion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74