Ice Conditions February Weather

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are ya'lls thoughts on this weather and the rest of the ice fishing season. Usually February weather is cold, but I'm seeing 40's a lot more than I'd like.

It's my first year with an ice castle, so I'm gunna be bummed if I have to pull out too early. Nobody likes that...

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long time to fish yet, it'll get cold again. I haven't even been out fishing yet, too damn busy pushing snow everyday.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than this blip today, it's going to get subzero again in a hurry and then we're not supposed to get above freezing for the next 10 days.

You'll be fine.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little surface melt, not doing any damage to the strength of it. Fish on . . .

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Down here on oahe the shore is going fast but we were in the 60's and 58 with rain today. One day of cold and then back in mid 40's. I hope for a couple big snows in april or its going to be bad dry. Im not complaining though the nice temps are nice for dog training

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Couldn't be happier about the warmer temps myself and how they've solidified the loose snow. I commute 50+ miles to work and it's been hell since Christmas.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't be happier about the warmer temps myself and how they've solidified the loose snow. I commute 50+ miles to work and it's been hell since Christmas.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than this blip today, it's going to get subzero again in a hurry and then we're not supposed to get above freezing for the next 10 days.

You'll be fine.

Big discrepancy between the eastern half of the state and the western this year. Certainly no worries in the eastern half, west of the MO river (including oahe/sak) it could get a little interesting if this continues much longer. Days are still pretty short so hard to melt much yet.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big discrepancy between the eastern half of the state and the western this year. Certainly no worries in the eastern half, west of the MO river (including oahe/sak) it could get a little interesting if this continues much longer. Days are still pretty short so hard to melt much yet.

Very true, I guess I could verify, I'm on the west end of sak.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could be just what the doctor ordered. Melt the insulation snow off, fill in the slush pockets with water instead of snow, and then refreeze the ice.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
With an ice castle, you get about two months of fishing. Two and a half if lucky. Just the way it is.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice castle fishing begins on January 1 and ends March 15 at best! It's just the way it is. Even in the northeast part of the state. I've rarely gotten 10 weeks out of my permanent.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at McKenzie bay last weekend, the shoreline is about 6 ft below the concrete on the ramp. Likely wont be usable if we dont get some moisture soon.
Don't know about the snow pack, but its rather dire.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just read today the mountain snow pack is 85% of normal. But lots of time for more snow. Hopefully.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76