2022 spring season

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
So who's itching to get out turkey hunting? I drew a unit 37 tag this year. I'll be out in the grasslands. Where's everyone hunting this spring?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twice I have purchased a turkey tag, twice I have never hunted them.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No turkeys for me, but heading to an Island in the Bering Sea exactly one month from today to finally hunt musk ox. I'm really looking forward to it, been trying to get this hunt done for 5 years now so hopefully weather cooperates for travel and hunting! It's been a long and cold winter so far, but hopefully the snow and cold can hang on out there until the end of March to get my hunt in!

Spring bear season is cancelled for me this year with a baby due in May so this hunt will be all I got until August.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spring turkey is one of my favorites. I get to take the kids, it breaks up the off-season between all of the fall and winter hunting, and I just like the varying weather conditions you get throughout the spring. I will have a few tags, my daughter will have at least one, and I will be helping a few buddies fill theirs. My goal is to be in on at least 6 notched turkey tags. Over the last 3 spring seasons I have been the shooter, caller, or just along for the enjoyment of the hunt on 28 dead turkeys…but I have basically traded in ALL of my spring fishing time to do it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring snow goose got more decoys and want more work for the dog. Some frustrating bastards though

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No turkeys for me, but heading to an Island in the Bering Sea exactly one month from today to finally hunt musk ox. I'm really looking forward to it, been trying to get this hunt done for 5 years now so hopefully weather cooperates for travel and hunting! It's been a long and cold winter so far, but hopefully the snow and cold can hang on out there until the end of March to get my hunt in!

Spring bear season is cancelled for me this year with a baby due in May so this hunt will be all I got until August.

freaking epic!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wschmaltz, have you eaten Musk Ox? I know 3-4 guys who’ve shot them but I don’t recall any of them talking about eating any of it.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going another route and beating the Farmer's Almanac, Punxatauney Phil, and Mother Nature herself, to pull out the motorcycle and gather some nice temperatures on the highway. Well, that is until the time change on March 13th; when I'll have to put it back in the garage for short days once again. :mad:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ha, it's not all flowers. Have had at least of foot of snow in the yard since October 15th with 24 inches of new stuff over the last week and averaged 20 degrees below normal all of November until Christmas. Paying the price for the outdoor opportunities this year that's for sure, but it was 35 yesterday and I was still grilling with faint sunlight at 7pm so we're almost through it!

I have not ate musk ox before. We have two cow tags and have a local Cup'it Eskimo hunting with us so we will likely only bring the meat of one animal home between the two of us and give the local the meat of the other. I'm more looking forward to having all the Qiviut to make things out of. I am remaining cautiously optimistic about the hunt, there is a good chance weather could move in and not allow a plane in for a week or two and we would have to eat tags. Either way, just getting the tag has already been an adventure. We had to camp out for two nights in early January with an average temp of -10 just to get a tag. Whatever it takes I guess!
thumbnail_IMG_2881.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2891.jpg

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
First spring turkey tag I've ever drawn, unit 27, time to do homework. BUT first gotta get this Mr. arthritis out of my left knee...grrr....cortisone shot?

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking forward to the spring turkey season. I don't even get too excited about hunting till May 1st, weather is so wild before that it can really mess things up. And the toms seem to be tied up pretty tight until a bit later. You can kill one in April for sure, but once you get into May things get really fun.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't spring hunted since getting poison ivy hiding behind a fallen tree. 20+ years ago. I've smelted all night and shot turkeys same morning, fun times. Ah to be young again.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member

Jealous! Hope you can get out there, Musk ox would be a cool experience.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Well folks it's the last week of the season. Been tough hunting in the SE part of the state with the flooding. Found some birds last night in a new area so I'm hoping to tag one this week.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Guess I never gave an end of season update. But i ate tag soup this turkey season. Put a lot of miles on my boots in the sheyenne grasslands and some state land but never got on them. Found sign here and there and got some responses to calling but never got one in. Oh well

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess I never gave an end of season update. But i ate tag soup this turkey season. Put a lot of miles on my boots in the sheyenne grasslands and some state land but never got on them. Found sign here and there and got some responses to calling but never got one in. Oh well
Call me next year I might be able to help if you need it. Make a note. Had 4 good sized tom's run a acoupa hens feather bare... LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74