Spring snows 22

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed Kurt about grounds,don't hear much from him these days or his boy "hunter" who made a big splash years ago in the world goose calling championships,no longer a big deal these days it seems.

I visited with Tim Grounds many times when he toured sport shows,he always hand tuned my calls years ago,my first grounds call was his "
coca-bola" great lesser sound once you figured it out,down side after a couple years the barrel dried out and cracked but Grounds replaced it twice for me n/c.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed Kurt about grounds,don't hear much from him these days or his boy "hunter" who made a big splash years ago in the world goose calling championships,no longer a big deal these days it seems.

I visited with Tim Grounds many times when he toured sport shows,he always hand tuned my calls years ago,my first grounds call was his "
coca-bola" great lesser sound once you figured it out,down side after a couple years the barrel dried out and cracked but Grounds replaced it twice for me n/c.

I have seen Hunter around with the divebomb guys a bit when they were talking goose calling comps seems they are trying to bring them back as there is a new tour they are trying to get going . I know listening to Hunters world championship from Maryland a few years ago made the hair stand on the back of my neck. Most that isnt real world calling but hearing those guys hit those routines is impressive.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have seen Hunter around with the divebomb guys a bit when they were talking goose calling comps seems they are trying to bring them back as there is a new tour they are trying to get going . I know listening to Hunters world championship from Maryland a few years ago made the hair stand on the back of my neck. Most that isnt real world calling but hearing those guys hit those routines is impressive.

Agreed,they have talent...I get a kick outof our young hunter's today,must be the goose calling championship video's they watch? you can hear the championship goose calling routine iffin down wind on any given field the entire calling routine from the high pitched greeting down to the annoying double clucks ....good for them,it's all fun,can't tell ya how many times dozing off in a blind,having birds drop in not making a sound,no calling,a good dog is always alert tho to wake the old man up.

Today after you helped me get rid of my layouts couple years ago,no sleeping sitting up in A-frames....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,they have talent...I get a kick outof our young hunter's today,must be the goose calling championship video's they watch? you can hear the championship goose calling routine iffin down wind on any given field the entire calling routine from the high pitched greeting down to the annoying double clucks ....good for them,it's all fun,can't tell ya how many times dozing off in a blind,having birds drop in not making a sound,no calling,a good dog is always alert tho to wake the old man up.

Today after you helped me get rid of my layouts couple years ago,no sleeping sitting up in A-frames....

Got my self an aframe as well one for my son for christmas but we are together all the time so i will use it haha. Those lay outs killed alot of geese this year me and Cole put the hurt on the honkers. Ya i think less is more when out in the field calling those big boys. A cluck here and there and a moan to get them centered up and bang.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in eastern Nebraska earlier this week for work.

I saw a flock like no other staged on open water on the north side of Wahoo. Birds were flying very high headed north between Wahoo and Hastings. This was Monday and Tuesday.

I can hear this picture

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Its kind of hard to hear from Tim as he's dead.

World Goose Calling Champ Tim Grounds Perishes in Accident

The waterfowling world was stunned to learn that three-time world goose calling champion, short reed goose call making pioneer, and call company owner Tim Grounds passed away following a tragic accident

Sept 30th 2018

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like SD is loading up.

Sand lake refuge has a foot of snow on the lake plus 3 ft of ice. Its not going to open up very fast as temp this week in the low to mid 30's at night and up to 52 of so for the next week.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Oh "NO" didn't know,bums me out,ole Tim was a dedicated waterfowler,his mom helped with mail orders,iffin ya had questions you could call Tim and he would take your phone call,sad news.

World Goose Calling Champ Tim Grounds Perishes in Accident

The waterfowling world was stunned to learn that three-time world goose calling champion, short reed goose call making pioneer, and call company owner Tim Grounds passed away following a tragic accident

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got picks of guys south of 90 killing snows. We have had honkers all year and right now around 5000-8000 on the lake here

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here in central ND the birds are coming in hot and heavy, 62 degrees out they must be happy, time to kill load full.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Report of snows in SE ND. Hey Kurtr let me know when they hit your area, those are the geese im waiting for.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Report of snows in SE ND. Hey Kurtr let me know when they hit your area, those are the geese im waiting for.

I am going down to hartford for a field trial on saturday im going through watertown to help my dad on my way down friday so i will make a good loop and will have a report.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gwad I love this time of year as birds migrate,step out side at midnight on a calm night hear geese migrating under a full moon,already have mourning doves below my feeders,robins galore,still some snow piles tho and 30"s of lake ice,but spring late ice is very rewarding,warm evening's on the ice fishing crappies,no gloves,the best times.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parents made the drive this week from South Padre to Devil's Lake. Geese we're thickest around Aberdeen.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tons of birds East of Bordulac ( SE Carrington)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s my report. Yesterday from Mobridge to Watertown nothing worth talking about Watertown south to De sent not much all water locked up guys still ice fishing. De smet south to Mitchell seen a fair amount no big feeds or anything. This morning Mitchell to Hartford not much right away about noon they started coming in good numbers that made me worried the dog would get distracted during the trial haha . On the way home to Mobridge seen some flocks but no big spins. I got pics from roscoe and there are a bunch but people see a couple thousand and they get all excited. Plus these are all phd birds I see they are still shooting juvies in mwmo in big numbers so I think we have a little bit till the dumber ones get here.

the specs and honkers outnumbered the snows by a bunch all day

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73