Spring snows 22

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Temps in the 50s all next week and no snow in the west, wont be long. SD had geese last week but they went south with the weather.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been birdie myself lately,contacts near omaha nebraska said mild winter no snow or snow geese yet,standing water is still froze,canada geese are just starting to show as they signal the start of the migration.

Squaw creek missouri has 200k snows,about every species of ducks,swans and eagles already in /on the frozen refuge lake,birds are watering on the river at night in "desoto" ,we'll be heading to this area soon once the count gets over 1 million if we can afford the fuel costs.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been birdie myself lately,contacts near omaha nebraska said mild winter no snow or snow geese yet,standing water is still froze,canada geese are just starting to show as they signal the start of the migration.

Squaw creek missouri has 200k snows,about every species of ducks,swans and eagles already in /on the frozen refuge lake,birds are watering on the river at night in "desoto" ,we'll be heading to this area soon once the count gets over 1 million if we can afford the fuel costs.

When you said “count gets over 1 million” I thought you WERE talking about fuel costs.

Let’s go Brandon.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squaw creek has over a million snows right now

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Nebraska is going to get pounded with snow sounds like a bunch are heading south already again. With the lack of sheet water we have i am afraid they just all blow through here fast

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nebraska is going to get pounded with snow sounds like a bunch are heading south already again. With the lack of sheet water we have i am afraid they just all blow through here fast

Good call Kurt,just checked the weather map and road conditions in nebraska,central nebraska from grand island and west roads are a shit show,it's dumping good.

still early to get to excited,in my old age I perfer to wait until the juvi's /ross geese show.

Kurt you get huntable numbers passing thru your area in the spring? never hunted that far west,usually hang either side of the james river 50 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be,but a report like this usually means that many birds within 20 square miles of mound city,snow geese roosting on on the refuge lake was guesstimated at 200k two days ago,but we all know this can change hour by hour once it's on,good friend pulled in to setup camp yesterday to start scouting,on a scale 1-10 I'm at def con 5 right now,my shit to travel is ready,ammo n guns,oh and my golden as well

Last edited:

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I was in eastern Nebraska earlier this week for work.

I saw a flock like no other staged on open water on the north side of Wahoo. Birds were flying very high headed north between Wahoo and Hastings. This was Monday and Tuesday.

Attachments

8A635543-3BFE-460C-817F-9EFC8330371A.jpg
Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call Kurt,just checked the weather map and road conditions in nebraska,central nebraska from grand island and west roads are a shit show,it's dumping good.

still early to get to excited,in my old age I perfer to wait until the juvi's /ross geese show.

Kurt you get huntable numbers passing thru your area in the spring? never hunted that far west,usually hang either side of the james river 50 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

No there are no birds over here its way better over east:cool:. I think all those wind towers over east are pushing the migration farther west

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been seeing flocks of migrating Canada geese and ducks the past several days. Gotta imagine with the warm weather expected next week that I'll be seeing lots of birds by end of next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Note, that would be in the Bismarck area.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No there are no birds over here its way better over east:cool:. I think all those wind towers over east are pushing the migration farther west

Stop it....I'm to cheap to travel that far west with todays gas prices,now if snow geese tasted as good as a bone in rib-eye....

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went east last year, will not be doing that again, what a shit show. Blue platers EVERYWHERE. There will be alot of geese over there when they slam into the snow line.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been seeing flocks of migrating Canada geese and ducks the past several days. Gotta imagine with the warm weather expected next week that I'll be seeing lots of birds by end of next week.

- - - Updated - - -

We have been covered up in honkers the whole year some never left right now about 10000 sitting on the lake they fly over my house every morning and evening. I got some to work in my yard just blowing the call messing around about the last pass at 15 yards the dog really gave me what are we waiting for look haha.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I drove by geese feeding along Sibley Drive yesterday. They are moving up.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have been covered up in honkers the whole year some never left right now about 10000 sitting on the lake they fly over my house every morning and evening. I got some to work in my yard just blowing the call messing around about the last pass at 15 yards the dog really gave me what are we waiting for look haha.

Hahaha,I drive my neighbors crazy working my calls all fall sittin in my pole barn , when birds are migrating in my area,been working/using grounds "triple crown" honker call,man does that sucker have volume and great sound,lately been playing with my snow goose ecaller,added two more speakers,probably a waste of time as these gasoline prices will hamper my traveling.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahaha,I drive my neighbors crazy working my calls all fall sittin in my pole barn , when birds are migrating in my area,been working/using grounds "triple crown" honker call,man does that sucker have volume and great sound,lately been playing with my snow goose ecaller,added two more speakers,probably a waste of time as these gasoline prices will hamper my traveling.

I got a drc life sentence last year Corey Loeffler is from over in your country i really like it. Just got a bill saunders spec call and my wife is about ready to strangle me and the boy he bought him self a pacific game calls 509 honker boy that one is loud.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
is the 509 acrylic or wood? I wanted a crylic for volume,grounds talked me in to his wood triple crown,the sound from others calls are not duplicated,new birds seem to respond better to this call,I use a few different calls depending on cacklers ,lessors or giants in my area,the further west we hunt the smaller the canada's it seems,adding a spec call is an intriuguing good add to my honker setup.

I hunted with a few inuits natives in AK years ago whilst working on the slope,we had mostly specs to hunt,they only used they're voice box to squeak out or minic the specs sound,waved they're arms as a flag,worked great but not all the time,but that's hunting.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
is the 509 acrylic or wood? I wanted a crylic for volume,grounds talked me in to his wood triple crown,the sound from others calls are not duplicated,new birds seem to respond better to this call,I use a few different calls depending on cacklers ,lessors or giants in my area,the further west we hunt the smaller the canada's it seems,adding a spec call is an intriuguing good add to my honker setup.

I hunted with a few inuits natives in AK years ago whilst working on the slope,we had mostly specs to hunt,they only used they're voice box to squeak out or minic the specs sound,waved they're arms as a flag,worked great but not all the time,but that's hunting.

it’s an acrylic. It’s higher pitched than mine so when we call together get a nice mix of sounds. I have a buddy that blows grounds and they are sweet sounding.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
it’s an acrylic. It’s higher pitched than mine so when we call together get a nice mix of sounds. I have a buddy that blows grounds and they are sweet sounding.

After your post,I checked out the 509,sounds like a nice intermediate easy to use call....lord knows I have eough honker calls...infact early season hunting our local giant residence canada's I still pull out my trusty old "big rive flute" they seems to really like that deep gutteral sound,I think I bought that call in the mid 80's when flute calls hit the market,prior year calls sound more like a wounded cat screetch

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After your post,I checked out the 509,sounds like a nice intermediate easy to use call....lord knows I have eough honker calls...infact early season hunting our local giant residence canada's I still pull out my trusty old "big rive flute" they seems to really like that deep gutteral sound,I think I bought that call in the mid 80's when flute calls hit the market,prior year calls sound more like a wounded cat screetch

Oh ya i got a big river to last year was the first year i ever had a short reed and the different sounds you can make are amazing. I think my drc is a little easier than the 509 as it takes a little more pressure to get to break but once you get it down its nice sounding. Ya just what i need getting hooked on the high end goose calls but i think i have to have a grounds just because he was the man to really start it all.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a drc life sentence last year Corey Loeffler is from over in your country i really like it. Just got a bill saunders spec call and my wife is about ready to strangle me and the boy he bought him self a pacific game calls 509 honker boy that one is loud.

I have tried voice calling the HRonk of a canada goose.
Surprised how well it works. Try it.
I have spun birds around that are flying low over our house looking for the goose on the ground.
Perhaps the non-plasticy (sp?) sound. ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73