Spring snows 22

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have to head to my griends farm, stand in his shelter belt, and kill a hf dozen just to get the dust out of my barrels. We went to Bismarck from Jsmestown yesterday and seen six or seven white fields in the first 30 miles. The biggest flock was just north of I94 and only five or six miles west of Jamestown.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So everyone on fb is freaking out about dead geese and the bird flu anyone else seeing it. I haven’t seen it yet.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son is coming to SD on a guided goose hunt late next week. Someone sent him a video the other day, of a blue goose sitting on the ground twitching and every once in a while would shake its head back and forth. Said that the mucus is plugging up the air ways. Also said some areas are experiencing quite a few dead birds.

- - - Updated - - -
Just found this on the SD Game and Fish web site.

Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Detected in South Dakota

March 18, 2022PIERRE, S.D. – The highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) has been detected in both domestic poultry flocks and wild birds in South Dakota.

Avian flu, commonly referred to as bird flu, occurs in all bird populations, especially waterfowl, shorebirds, and domestic fowl.

“The current strain appeared in both Canada geese and snow geese and other waterfowl in January in the eastern U.S and Canada,” said
South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) senior waterfowl biologist, Rocco Murano. “Detections have now been found throughout the Atlantic, Central and Mississippi flyways.”

Avian flu is very similar to the seasonal flu that occurs within human populations Murano explained.

“This particular strain appears to be more severe in that it impacts wild birds, and more transmissible among these wild bird populations. With the spring migration, large numbers of birds are mixing together and moving across the landscape. The good news is that like the human flu, as the weather gets warmer, the virus is less present,” Murano said.

South Dakota has seen avian bird flu in 2008 and 2015, but wild bird mortality did not occur in those outbreaks. Although this strain seems to be more present in wild birds, mortality rates should be low and not have any population affects.

Avian flu is rarely transmitted from birds to humans, but precautions should be taken around dead or obviously sick birds.

“At this point, we are asking folks to report sick or dead birds, especially waterfowl,” Murano said.

GFP is asking citizens to report sick or unknown cause of death waterfowl, raptors, water birds or avian scavengers. Look for symptoms of unusual behavior, loss of coordination, or the inability to fly or walk properly. We recommend you avoid handling these sick or dead birds and report them to GFP at WildInfo@state.sd.us or your local conservation officer.

Murano went on to say that snow goose hunters should not worry about the outbreak. Cooking harvested birds to 165 degrees, and making sure to dry all their gear before their next hunting outing are two important takeaways for hunters. Harvested birds must be retrieved from the fields and carcasses properly disposed.

Visit https://gfp.sd.gov/avian-flu/ to learn more about avian influenza.

Last edited:

Maverick

I did see about 20 dead or sick snows last weekend while out scouting S.W. of Jamestown. I have heard from others that they saw more than that.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snows love that Jamestown to 10 miles west asked to hunt last year no luck seems Devils lake south to Aberdeen into Nebraska is flight pattern from my eyes.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading out thursday not sure where, seem most snows are flying over ND

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No snows here. Canadians yes but not a lot so far. Need to hunt west from here. LB

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
West of where? I looked in the carrington area yesterday not much there. Guys i talked to in SD said they gone.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy send me picks from Mo yesterday and they lit the juvies up

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy call me tonight. He lives out by Carrington. Said he drove a ten mile stretch of gravel by his place, in a straight line and counted 21 dead or dying snowgeese. Said one that are alive look like they have Parkinsons. Pretty odd stuff

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are gonna be a lot of birds that end up in the ditch with the avian influenza. Or should I say more than usual. There will be a bunch of guys shooting but not willing to clean them I'm sure.

I haven't hunted them for 6 years plus since I sold all my gear. But on the average of those years before, I wouldn't even get excited in SD till about now. You can hunt the leading edge birds and the masses all you want. Great birdwatching. The best hunting is coming up still...

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Talked to a guy this morning that's been hunting from Bowbells to Tolley, said they have seen lots of dead Snows and even Honkers

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went out today. Saw about 100 dead geese , 15 in one field alone , mostly snows and blues. 1 canadian goose. and about 25 that appeared sick. You could walk up to most of them. We wouldn't shoot any of them. Not about to eat sick birds

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say ,western Cass county.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74