Founding Member
Founding Member
Paid 5.15 today for diesel

- - - Updated - - -

The 300 merc won’t be full throttle all the time either

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Farming:
In my past work life, it was working with business mainly farmers in their money needs.
Did call up NDSU site for their crop production cost in 2022. Found the following:
Direct cost per acre of (seed, chem, fert, ins, fuel, repairs, interest and misc) projected at

Wheat $230/acre
Bly $200
Corn $300
Soybeans, $174
Flowers $193
Canola $260
Peas $181
Average of $220/acre direct cost with about 50% of that fertilizer. (I feel for me this number is low and i would of guess at least $100-150 higher based on my past records with farmers)

Using local yields and prices
Wheat of 70 bushel per acre at $10/bushel =$700 gross per acre
Bly of 80 at $7 = $560
Corn of 125 at $7 = $875
Soybeans of 40 at $16 =$640
Flowers 2000# @ 32 cents = $640
Canola 2000# @ 32 cents = $640
Peas ??
Average of $675
$675 gross less direct cost of $220 = $455 net
Now most of my farmers farm 2500 to 3000 acres with some double that.
2500 acres at $455 equals 1.14 million. Those funds are used for living, land cost either rent or payments and equipment payments or depreciation on equipment.
Two years ago my last time of some farmers keeping tract of their living it was $72,000.
Numbers come from NDSU or my own knowledge and some will say it is all full of crab but whatever. No big thing and my family does farm. Maybe have some math errors here as most in my head so check it out. Using cost of $370 means gross of $305 time 2500 =$762,500.

Looks to be a banner year for farming but just too many if in this. Each farmer is different in yields/cost and who knows what the price will be next fall. Just does never work out like it does on paper. Last year one of my farmers could just as well tore his pea crop up.
Hard to get those yields overall on all those acres and it most cases it will not happen. Maybe fields here and there.
I remember on the farm in the earlier 60s my dad said park the truck in the corner as he will not be able to fill the hopper (60 bushels) on the Massy combine by night due to rust. The million will not happen for most but it still could be a banner year.

A lot of my farmers have their 10,000 gallon tanks which were fill up last fall and a lot of fertilizer was put on last fall at last year's prices.
Some have the bulk of their fertilizer on.
I grew up on a farm but not big enough for more than one child to take over. I do know it can be a great life if it is in your blood. Why i love planting my various food plot and taking care of. $7 corn for deer, well maybe need better production from
my crop and maybe more hay bales for the deer this year. But it was around 5-6 dollars this past year. Next to insurance cost this was my second biggest expense in 2021-22. Well maybe gas in my dodge.

For now have bigger worries with Putin. db

- - - Updated - - -

I do know Biden is a pile of crab and may get us all kill along with his followers.
All i can do is hope me and my family and you and your family survive. db

- - - Updated - - -

Bowman:
I do thank the cow/calf man for the steaks he makes for me to eat. Again, thank you. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 gallons of diesel cost 25 buck and change today, when it costs a grand to fill a semi i expect everything else is going up too. Good reason to ride bike this summer i guess.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The fuel I burn in my pickup for driving I won't hardly notice the increase in price. Where I will notice it is the 6 to 8000 gallons of diesel I burn in tractors seeding, haying, harvesting, and feeding cattle.

Increase in fertilizer will really suck too. I messed up and didn't prebuy my fertilizer or contract any fuel yet. I waited thinking it would go down, fertilizer did but Putin attacked Ukraine and it jumped up again before I bought any. All my crops are for forage so i don't sell any of that high priced grain, I just sell cheap feeder calves and then listen to people bitch about the the cost of meat in the store them thinking I'm getting rich, me knowing its the packers and the middle men sticking it to them and me.

Have you thought about finishing them feeders out and selling them to people that are looking or a half or quarter beef. I think you could sell them all and skip the packers and middle man.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove by Cenex station this AM on way to work--- Unleaded 4.19 diesel 4.99 Wonder how high its gonna go? Anybody got a guess?

On a second note, my heading for the post got premature....I should say....what you gonna do when gas hits 5 a gai in couple of weeks!!!!! We already there.....uffda 6 a gal by summer?

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fuel I burn in my pickup for driving I won't hardly notice the increase in price. Where I will notice it is the 6 to 8000 gallons of diesel I burn in tractors seeding, haying, harvesting, and feeding cattle.

Increase in fertilizer will really suck too. I messed up and didn't prebuy my fertilizer or contract any fuel yet. I waited thinking it would go down, fertilizer did but Putin attacked Ukraine and it jumped up again before I bought any. All my crops are for forage so i don't sell any of that high priced grain, I just sell cheap feeder calves and then listen to people bitch about the the cost of meat in the store them thinking I'm getting rich, me knowing its the packers and the middle men sticking it to them and me.

I don't know anything about the parameters, but I heard on KFGO that North Dakota is offering up to $1,500 credit for using bio fuels if you're a farmer.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it might help??

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know anything about the parameters, but I heard on KFGO that North Dakota is offering up to $1,500 credit for using bio fuels if you're a farmer.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it might help??

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody on this site - is quiet and chinging all the way to the bank!!!!!! And is not me

BaAAAbooom -- those royalties are make a 120k ranger look like pocket change.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you thought about finishing them feeders out and selling them to people that are looking or a half or quarter beef. I think you could sell them all and skip the packers and middle man.
Yeah that would be the way to do it if you processed it yourself but around here the butcher shops are at a minimum of seven months out

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be willing to bet that camp grounds, parks and boat ramps around here will still be full all summer long as they have been in the past. The way it looks around here in the summer with people coming in, there must be an abundance of jobs in the midwest paying north of $250k/yr, can't imagine on the coast where cost of living is high, everyone must be millionaires;:;banghead

Hopefully maybe some of the "now hiring" and "help wanted" signs will start disappearing around the country as people may actually have to bite the bullet and get a job. Doubt that too though, everyone always talks about how they can barely make ends meet, they talk about it on social media with their $1000 phone and unlimited data plan. Somethings gotta give someday soon, will be interesting to see.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll still be going to the lake, just may have to put a hitch on the wife's Pilot to pull the boat in out with so I can let the diesel sit. Water on Oahe will probably so low that only fishing I will be doing is from shore anyhow.

I will be right there with you. I've been stressing for a few weeks about not being able to get the boat in.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most lakes I fish on are within 60 miles and I can shoot across in 10 min with my BIG 50 Yammer. Most times all I use motor for is to load and cruse a little to charge the starter battery or cool off on a hot day. Full tank will last all summer. Might not be as picky on what kind or size of fish I keep this year. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh KDM now your talking like a crop grower...$7 corn for me is quite a little to just be dumping out. The crop growers are making great money with these prices. You know it and I know it to. I'm talking from a crop grower frame of mind to!

They may be making money on $7 Corn, but I was speaking of simple supply and demand. If producers can't get fertilizer or have to pay 3 times the price for fertilizer, they won't plant Corn, or Wheat for that matter as both those crops require fairly substantial fertilizer inputs. I spoke to a really large producer and he said without cheaper fertilizer he will be increasing soybean acres and cutting corn and wheat acres. All I'm saying is that I don't think $7 corn or the $10 wheat prices we have now will hold for any length of time and IMO, will only go up.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with you there KDM! The commodity prices will continue to rise for the foreseeable future along with the fertilizer costs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry fellas, D.C. is looking out for you:

Gasoline vouchers worth $300 a month? Some economists back new government aid as prices at the pump soar

Last Updated: March 10, 2022 at 9:25 a.m. ETFirst Published: March 9, 2022 at 2:56 p.m. ETBy Victor Reklaitis

As the Democratic party administration in Washington struggles to find effective ways to fight high inflation, some economists are calling for lawmakers to deliver new assistance for Americans dealing with high gasoline prices.
“If I were Dem leadership in the House, I’d bring forward a bill to give $50B gas price relief to low-income households and defy Republicans to vote against it,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, in a tweet on Tuesday.
Wouldn’t such spending add to inflation? Shepherdson pushed back after a critic suggested exactly that, with the economist saying it would not because a $50 billion outlay amounts to just 0.2% of U.S. GDP.
The average retail price for gasoline in the U.S. has soared to a record well above $4 a gallon, as Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine helps push energy prices RB00, -1.96% CL00, 0.57% higher and comes on top of a global inflationary surge.
Opinion: The price of gasoline isn’t really at a record high. In fact, the inflation-adjusted cost of driving a mile was higher for most of the past century
Also read: Oil prices pull back from nearly 14-year highs

Stuart Hoffman, a senior economic adviser at PNC, said Shepherdson’s proposal is a “great idea,” adding that Congress should look at gasoline vouchers for the Americans who qualified for stimulus checks through March 2020’s relief package.
Providing $2 or $3 per gallon of gas for those families could work out to $200 or $300 a month per family, assuming they typically pump 100 gallons each month into their cars, Hoffman said in a post on Twitter.
“Total cost of $100B for up to 6 months. Worth every penny to protect our freedom and our economy,” the PNC expert said, referring to gas vouchers. A PNC spokesman declined to make Hoffman available for an interview on Wednesday.
There’s a real chance for legislation that provides such vouchers given how gas prices have surged, said Greg Valliere, chief U.S. policy strategist at AGF Investments, in a note on Wednesday.
Tools for Investing Success

Understand how today’s business practices, market dynamics, tax policies and more impact you with real-time news and analysis from MarketWatch.

“There will be fierce resistance from the anti-fossil fuel activists, and the enormity of deficits is starting to sink in. But this is an election year, and consumers have been stunned by gasoline prices — a perfect storm, in our opinion, for rebates or vouchers,” Valliere wrote.
The AGF strategist noted that it’s possible for the voucher program to get set up so that unused vouchers “could be redeemed for cash at face value by the U.S. Treasury,” which would “incentivize eligible families to reduce their usage of gasoline.”
Republicans have made it clear that high prices will continue to be a key line of attack against the president and his fellow Democrats as November’s midterm elections approach.
“I know oil is an international market, but the main reason Americans are paying so much is bad domestic policies,” said House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the California Republican, as he spoke Wednesday at a press conference. “These aren’t Putin prices. They’re President Biden’s prices.”
Now read: What can Biden and Congress do to fight inflation? ‘Simply not much of anything’
And: Republicans may win not just House but also Senate in midterm elections — here are 2022’s Senate races to watch
This report was first published on March 9, 2022.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over the years i have found when the price of grain is going up the sky is the limit and the farmer bins his crop.
Finally it starts going down and then he kicks his ass as he needs the bin room or the banker says sell. It has gone down sometimes as fast as it went up.

Back in 1973 when dad grew durum and it was up to 7/8 dollars a bushel did he sell? Only enough to pay the spring elevator bill. Then built another bin or two. Security for him was grain in the bin, not cash in the bank. He grew up un the 30s and always said as long as we got the seed back for next year we will be fine. Hard to get a loan back then even for seed. But he also said they survive while the bank did not.

But yes, someone is reaping the benefits of these oil prices and Short it is not me either. db

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry fellas, D.C. is looking out for you:

Gasoline vouchers worth $300 a month? Some economists back new government aid as prices at the pump soar

Last Updated: March 10, 2022 at 9:25 a.m. ETFirst Published: March 9, 2022 at 2:56 p.m. ETBy Victor Reklaitis

As the Democratic party administration in Washington struggles to find effective ways to fight high inflation, some economists are calling for lawmakers to deliver new assistance for Americans dealing with high gasoline prices.
“If I were Dem leadership in the House, I’d bring forward a bill to give $50B gas price relief to low-income households and defy Republicans to vote against it,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, in a tweet on Tuesday.
Wouldn’t such spending add to inflation? Shepherdson pushed back after a critic suggested exactly that, with the economist saying it would not because a $50 billion outlay amounts to just 0.2% of U.S. GDP.
The average retail price for gasoline in the U.S. has soared to a record well above $4 a gallon, as Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine helps push energy prices RB00, -1.96% CL00, 0.57% higher and comes on top of a global inflationary surge.
Opinion: The price of gasoline isn’t really at a record high. In fact, the inflation-adjusted cost of driving a mile was higher for most of the past century
Also read: Oil prices pull back from nearly 14-year highs

Stuart Hoffman, a senior economic adviser at PNC, said Shepherdson’s proposal is a “great idea,” adding that Congress should look at gasoline vouchers for the Americans who qualified for stimulus checks through March 2020’s relief package.
Providing $2 or $3 per gallon of gas for those families could work out to $200 or $300 a month per family, assuming they typically pump 100 gallons each month into their cars, Hoffman said in a post on Twitter.
“Total cost of $100B for up to 6 months. Worth every penny to protect our freedom and our economy,” the PNC expert said, referring to gas vouchers. A PNC spokesman declined to make Hoffman available for an interview on Wednesday.
There’s a real chance for legislation that provides such vouchers given how gas prices have surged, said Greg Valliere, chief U.S. policy strategist at AGF Investments, in a note on Wednesday.
Tools for Investing Success

Understand how today’s business practices, market dynamics, tax policies and more impact you with real-time news and analysis from MarketWatch.

“There will be fierce resistance from the anti-fossil fuel activists, and the enormity of deficits is starting to sink in. But this is an election year, and consumers have been stunned by gasoline prices — a perfect storm, in our opinion, for rebates or vouchers,” Valliere wrote.
The AGF strategist noted that it’s possible for the voucher program to get set up so that unused vouchers “could be redeemed for cash at face value by the U.S. Treasury,” which would “incentivize eligible families to reduce their usage of gasoline.”
Republicans have made it clear that high prices will continue to be a key line of attack against the president and his fellow Democrats as November’s midterm elections approach.
“I know oil is an international market, but the main reason Americans are paying so much is bad domestic policies,” said House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the California Republican, as he spoke Wednesday at a press conference. “These aren’t Putin prices. They’re President Biden’s prices.”
Now read: What can Biden and Congress do to fight inflation? ‘Simply not much of anything’
And: Republicans may win not just House but also Senate in midterm elections — here are 2022’s Senate races to watch
This report was first published on March 9, 2022.

You gotta be shittin me

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_3464.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im expecting to see some deals on used boats soon... Ive been contemplating replacing the old 90 pro V for a while but havent pulled the trigger. It still doesnt leak and starts every time.

$6 premium and $7.50 diesel will guarantee a red wave this fall, might be worth it just to neuter these clowns currently in the executive till we can get some replacements elected.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66