So, If gas hits 5 a gal this summer...

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you going to cut back on the number of outtings? Its not looking good.
May be in for a long summer boys.
Man, sure glad I don't live in that liberal fooked up state of Cali.....5.50 a gal already???? oh my.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll still be going to the lake, just may have to put a hitch on the wife's Pilot to pull the boat in out with so I can let the diesel sit. Water on Oahe will probably so low that only fishing I will be doing is from shore anyhow.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as traveling I'll just slow down and not be in such a hurry that should bump up my mileage and even it out some. I do feel sorry for the guys with kids and water toys, OUCH!!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yah, the only people who use my jet-ski are the grandkids. If you drive them nice it only uses about 6 g/h.:;:huh But I'm also one who always tells my wife "You don't see any U-hauls behind a hearse." Getting to the age where I don't buy green bananas so I'll just grin and bear it and let them have fun. Also fortunate that I'm no longer raising a family so don't have near the expenses of raising a family. Feel for the younger generation but I'll get by.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem will be baiting with corn at $7/bushel..OUCH!!

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the solution is to do what Jimmy Carter did to fix the gas prices and reduce all highway and interstate speeds to 55. He was really ahead of his time.

JK BTW.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Filling up the PU and the 55 gallon boat tank is going to sizzle and sting.
When I first owned a vehicle, I would have to ration my trips, as my income was spread to the breaking point, and even a simple trip to a buddies place from South Fargo, to North Moorhead was at times out of the budget (had just enough gas to get to work and back until payday type of thing)
I was expecting to never be in that situation again 30 years later.
FJB

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Plan on fishing as much as last year. Plan. 1) Drive diesel slower and fill at Sams Club. 2) Buddy and I will team up a lot more instead of fishing in seperate boats. 3) I saw this happening, so I set aside extra gas money. 4) Boating on the lake from spot to spot will be slower. No way am I letting Fhead Obiden affect fishing! #$%^&>

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the solution is to do what Jimmy Carter did to fix the gas prices and reduce all highway and interstate speeds to 55. He was really ahead of his time.

JK BTW.

I would LOVE to see this happen. Here's why. Myself, I don't give a shit about speed. I do not mind driving the speed limit, listening to the news, and drinking my coffee on my way into work. My in-laws however, are all lead foots and, staunch DIE HARD demotards. They flat out refuse to acknowledge "their" president is a brain dead puppet. They loved hammering on Trump but now refuse to talk politics because they know their side is an embarrassment.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem will be baiting with corn at $7/bushel..OUCH!!

7$ a bushel?? Do a bit of research on the availability and price of anhydrous ammonia right now. It WAS about 600 a ton 6 months ago give'er take. Last I heard it was almost 1700 a ton now. Corn is $7 right now without the 3X increase in fertilizer costs. Oh and by the way, anhydrous is made from natural gas, so with the pipelines, oil drilling, and the like being shut down and no new permits being allowed by the current administration, I don't think $7 a bushel will remain the price of a bushel of corn for very long. What do they make ethanol out of again?? I forget sometimes.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just can't even think about being on the water less this year. I had my hip replaced last summer, and missed out on a few weeks of Sakakawea fishing. This summer that won't happen, as I to have been putting a little aside for some summer fun and fishing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
7$ a bushel?? Do a bit of research on the availability and price of anhydrous ammonia right now. It WAS about 600 a ton 6 months ago give'er take. Last I heard it was almost 1700 a ton now. Corn is $7 right now without the 3X increase in fertilizer costs. Oh and by the way, anhydrous is made from natural gas, so with the pipelines, oil drilling, and the like being shut down and no new permits being allowed by the current administration, I don't think $7 a bushel will remain the price of a bushel of corn for very long. What do they make ethanol out of again?? I forget sometimes.
Of course farmers do not set the price on the commodities they sell, it’s a trickle effect that fucks us all. I can somewhat control my costs, and slightly control my prices, but everything in America is as the farm goes. High fuel prices alone are horrible, add in Bidens inflation and it’s going to be a shitty summer, expense wise. Of course this is all Russias fault.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh KDM now your talking like a crop grower...$7 corn for me is quite a little to just be dumping out. The crop growers are making great money with these prices. You know it and I know it to. I'm talking from a crop grower frame of mind to!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No different than before for me and the wife.

50 some years ago we got married and did enough without back then. First boat got at age of mid 60s for $23,000 and still have, new ski jet at same time (drove once), started camping with a tent and finally work up to a new fifth wheel about 10 years ago, snowmobiles were of the $250 type and in time we did purchase new but about that time we no longer enjoy due to old and cold so told the kids to come and get them. Fishing rod i use is from when i was a kid.

There was a time when, if it was not for the wife's income with all her part time work, we could not make it to the end of the month.
Five kids show up and those memories are great.

But no more. Have other enjoyments now like riding my bike (2003 Goldwing) with the women, 1997 Dodge Cummins 2500 and five speed, planning on a trip to somewhere this summer, maybe out east to Nashville, grandkids all 10, ect. Overall, our wants are not much anymore. Beer not much higher in price than when i began in 1966 full time as i now drink less.

I am not about to cut back on this at age 75 and like i said the wants/needs are not there as it was at one time.

Income from SS and some Army income and that is what we live on. In fact the balance in the checkbook was somewhat higher at year end than at the beginning. It comes to about $60,000/year. No debt. Insurance of health, home and vehicles is the biggest bite of $16,000. Rest if whatever including pure pleasure. Did not touch the savings and that grew this past year by about $10,000.

So it is looking good for now in our retirement.
But who knows with all the if in life. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fuel I burn in my pickup for driving I won't hardly notice the increase in price. Where I will notice it is the 6 to 8000 gallons of diesel I burn in tractors seeding, haying, harvesting, and feeding cattle.

Increase in fertilizer will really suck too. I messed up and didn't prebuy my fertilizer or contract any fuel yet. I waited thinking it would go down, fertilizer did but Putin attacked Ukraine and it jumped up again before I bought any. All my crops are for forage so i don't sell any of that high priced grain, I just sell cheap feeder calves and then listen to people bitch about the the cost of meat in the store them thinking I'm getting rich, me knowing its the packers and the middle men sticking it to them and me.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hope to fish just as much if not more than last summer but I will be fishing closer to our resort & not going "balls to the walls" when moving.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75