Walleye Burgers

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a walleye burger offered at a restaurant recently. I didn’t order it, because paying for walleye is against my religion. I’ve been searching recipes on the web. I’m just curious if any of you have a recipe you like more than another.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with you that it is a wrong for either my wife or I to order walleye in a restaurant! Maybe they call them burgers, but in actuality they are walleye cakes (like crab cakes). Here is a recipe for them:

Ingredients:
- 1lb (six to eight smaller fillets) fresh walleye cubed into small pieces
- 1 sleeve of buttery crackers crumbled
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. horseradish
- 1 Tbs. stone ground mustard
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 2 diced green onion
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil
Recipe:
- Mix walleye, cracker crumbs, mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, egg, 1 Tbs.Old Bay Seasoning, red pepper, green onion and parsley in a large bowl. Mix should be wet and barely holding together when formed. Add breadcrumbs as needed to soak up moisture_
- In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs and 2 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning
- Form walleye mix into patties about the size of a racquetball. Flatten out a bit and dredge the outside in Old Bay Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Fry in 350 degree vegetable oil until golden brown on each side. About 3-5 minutes per side
- Serve with tartar sauce

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve thought about trying to find a good crab-cake recipe and subbing walleye for the crab.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can't go with this route with perfectly good walleye fillets,nope....however poor table fare salmon like "chum" fish cakes or canned is the only way in my book,panfried a no go,mushy and strong fishy taste,but like stated above but I'm lazy,mix raw salmon fillet processed with a raw egg,bread crumbs,chopped onion paddy up then in a screaming hot skillet easy fix for piss poor table fare.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is a fish sandwich a burger? IDK? I like to take a good bakery bun and toast it. Put a tail piece of a nice walleye, those so big most throw back nowadays. 5 pounders work just fine. Take just the tail piece of the walleye and fry it up. I like to put a little lettuce and a little mayo or Miracle whip. MMMMM ...MMMMM.

A good bun is key here!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't go with this route with perfectly good walleye fillets,nope....however poor table fare salmon like "chum" fish cakes or canned is the only way in my book,panfried a no go,mushy and strong fishy taste,but like stated above but I'm lazy,mix raw salmon fillet processed with a raw egg,bread crumbs,chopped onion paddy up then in a screaming hot skillet easy fix for piss poor table fare.

If you are denigrating salmon it's because you have never tasted wild, caught Chinook (King) salmon. It is not available in restaurants or stores around ND. What is sold there is farm raised Atlantic Coho (Silver) salmon that does not compare to wild caught King salmon. I know because I fished for salmon for 20+ years and it was ALWAYS GOOD! I must confess that I have never had any land-locked Kings (like from Sakakawea) so don't know what that tastes like. But ALL the store and restaurant salmon in ND is farm raised, Atlantic silver salmon and I would NEVER order/buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is a fish sandwich a burger? IDK?

I don't think a fish sandwich is any more a "burger" than a steak sandwich is a hamburger! I think of a "burger" as ground meat.

Last edited:

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl1000794
Suspect Snow was talking about pinks and other non desireables that frequently get caught in Alaska, or what is typically available at the store. Pacific Silver's (Coho's) are very good, not quite like a King but much better than anything you can buy in a store.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is a fish sandwich a burger? IDK? I like to take a good bakery bun and toast it. Put a tail piece of a nice walleye, those so big most throw back nowadays. 5 pounders work just fine. Take just the tail piece of the walleye and fry it up. I like to put a little lettuce and a little mayo or Miracle whip. MMMMM ...MMMMM.

A good bun is key here!
You know what your talking about. Like Mister Food would say "OH SO GOOD". LB

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are denigrating salmon it's because you have never tasted wild, caught Chinook (King) salmon. It is not available in restaurants or stores around ND. What is sold there is farm raised Atlantic Coho (Silver) salmon that does not compare to wild caught King salmon. I know because I fished for salmon for 20+ years and it was ALWAYS GOOD! I must confess that I have never had any land-locked Kings (like from Sakakawea) so don't know what that tastes like. But ALL the store and restaurant salmon in ND is farm raised, Atlantic silver salmon and I would NEVER order/buy it.

Agreed,no comparison to native kings or coho's fresh from the stream,chums/pinks dolly varden not so good panfried but make great patties.

pinks.jpg

this is a nasty pink

- - - Updated - - -

Wild coho from stream to pan,excellent....dinner.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh fish is ALWAYS so much better. I never freeze fish. Wife is too picky. I made spoiled walleye snob. She doesn't even want a different species stored in the same container or fried in the same batch.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fresh fish is ALWAYS so much better. I never freeze fish. Wife is too picky. I made spoiled walleye snob. She doesn't even want a different species stored in the same container or fried in the same batch.

Lol Rowdie you created a monster,better not put a plate of boneless ,filleted sunfish in front of her,nothin better out of a cold spring lake.fish n chips.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Filleted on Lake Winnipeg right after a catch, and cooked in a oil hot fry pan is absolutely the best tasting fish sandwich ever. Bun and a dab of Tartar sauce... ummm

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep telling her that perch and fish caught out of cold clean water will be fine, but yes I created a monster.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
you can certainly get wild caught salmon in the store in north dakota. frozen. but, wild.

Haha springer....reminds me of two blonds talking,one said I just past the pregency test,the other blonde asked "was the test hard"

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye crab cakes are really good. You can bake them or fry them.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
esp just the joke came to mind at the time,meaningless....I don't think of frozen fish as "fresh"

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can certainly get wild caught salmon in the store in north dakota. frozen. but, wild.

What grocery store chain stocks wild, caught King salmon in ND? I shop in Minot and have never seen it. I have never seen it in San Jose, CA. in a grocery store. There used to be a fish market that had it during commercial salmon season but it closed and is gone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75