Bucktail jigs

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to tie up some hair jigs and I’m in Fargo this weekend visiting kids. Is there anywhere in Fargo that sells any fly-tying goodies or is online my only option. I’m not that familiar with what’s available here in Fargo except Scheels.
Thanks!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't help you on Fargo, but I tied up a bunch and could not find a good selection of various color bucktail. I didn't need full tails as that wasn't economical. I used Fish Skull Faux Bucktail and Fishair 70 denier materials instead. The 4" length is best, 2.5" is too short. The Fish Skull is closest to the real thing, but neither are perfect. They don't fluff and bulge as real bucktail does, you end up with a more straight tail even undertying to get it to fluff up. But, they work well still. I am having a bucktail resurgence and am catching a lot of fish on them. The VMC factory bucktails are really good if you just want to buy them. Good luck!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't help you on Fargo, but I tied up a bunch and could not find a good selection of various color bucktail. I didn't need full tails as that wasn't economical. I used Fish Skull Faux Bucktail and Fishair 70 denier materials instead. The 4" length is best, 2.5" is too short. The Fish Skull is closest to the real thing, but neither are perfect. They don't fluff and bulge as real bucktail does, you end up with a more straight tail even undertying to get it to fluff up. But, they work well still. I am having a bucktail resurgence and am catching a lot of fish on them. The VMC factory bucktails are really good if you just want to buy them. Good luck!

thanks!! Agree on the VMC bucktails, they are quite good. I did really good with hair jigs last couple of years.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could check Cabela’s in Grand Forks. I’d call them before making the drive they don’t carry as much as they used to.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazon delivers in a couple days as do many online tackle building sites. The ice hasn't fully come off so you have some time right now to order exactly what you want and tie to your hearts content. I've done it in Idaho when I was there for a week. I ordered stuff for next day delivery and spent my hotel room time futzing with lures. Something to think about.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kits jigs has the best bucktail jigs I have used.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha they are so spendy I use a titanium leader with them when pike are biting. Those kits jigs are the highest quality paint and hook I’ve seen on a jig. Each one is hand made so it’s a laborious process .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77