Flying with a fishing rod and camping equipment

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be traveling on American airlines for a camping trip this Summer and I want to bring a couple of fishing rods. I've been on their website but don't quite understand the checked luggage requirements. For people that have done this, will a fishing rod and a separate duffle bag be considered 2 checked things or 1? How have you guys brought fishing rods on airlines?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Carry on. The Anchorage airport is full of guys carry tubes around and/or on their pack. I once even brought a 2 pc 9ft 8wt and the flight attendants offered to put it in their closet.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually take two travel rods with when I vacation in Florida and i always carry them on along with my regular carry on. They fit in the overhead compartment and no one has ever said anything to me. I check the reels and all the tackle though.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
if your fishing rod didn't come with a hard case,pcp tubing is your plan B...,As suggested strap tube to your pack or use as a walking stick and stow over head or staff coat rack.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought rods specific for traveling that weren't as expensive as my custom ones. My custom rods were one piece so I couldn't travel with them and the extra baggage costs to put them in the hold just sucked. So I opted to try to ship rods to the location prior to leaving such as the hotel. It worked quite well and I didn't have any problems. Might be an option as camping trips can be equipment heavy and airlines aren't known for their low extra bag charges.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started buying 3 piece travel rods that fit diagonaly in my checked bag. I used to fly with an actual rod case/tube designed for travel, and got away with it for dozens of flights, then one check in for a flight home they tried to charge me 250$ oversize fee. I ended up sticking my case with the rods in a trash can next to the counter.

Ive also packed my reels and just bought cheap Walmart rods at my destination, and give them away when I leave. I've bought some pretty nice rods for 30-40 bucks.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started buying 3 piece travel rods that fit diagonaly in my checked bag. I used to fly with an actual rod case/tube designed for travel, and got away with it for dozens of flights, then one check in for a flight home they tried to charge me 250$ oversize fee. I ended up sticking my case with the rods in a trash can next to the counter.

Ive also packed my reels and just bought cheap Walmart rods at my destination, and give them away when I leave. I've bought some pretty nice rods for 30-40 bucks.

Good thinking MSA.... makes perfect sense.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pack my reels, medications, camera gear, and anything else expensive or important in my carry on, and check the cheap replaceable stuff.

The airlines lose piles of luggage every day

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pack my reels, medications, camera gear, and anything else expensive or important in my carry on, and check the cheap replaceable stuff.

The airlines lose piles of luggage every day
This! DO NOT CHECK ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT LOST OR BROKEN! ;)

1579726857_15797686755e28b809670cc1.28094075_baggage-a1e8.gif

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I imaging being a baggage handler is not a great deal of fun, but you don't have to do it for work either. Pisses me right off seeing that.

We have been lucky in our travels as I do not remember any damages of stuff, I did however bring back a bottle of Tequila from Mexico one time the the lid somehow opened and soaked the bag and clothes, still has a scent years later in that bag... ishta

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ship your gear to your hotel, a ups store, etc. Way easier and likely cheaper than checking baggage on an airline....and you can insure it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69