Nightforce shv vs vortex razor lht

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I've narrowed down my next scope purchase to one of these, either the nightforce 4-14 or the vortex razor 3-15x42. I can't make up my mind. Will be on a lightweight Tikka and will be a mix of range and hunting. Which one and why? Thanks

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
38228473-85A8-44B8-A1CA-2FF3EFC2EAD9.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Serious question: For that kind of jack why consider anything other than Leupold? Not trying to start shit.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Fair question, I have a Leupold on there now and it seems to randomly shift zero once in a while. Also, reading on other forums a lot of people claim Leupold don't track consistently when dialing. I mostly just want to try something different.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure of your time constraints and without being too political: Leupold will fix your scopes for free. I realize they're no longer integral "Boston Tea Party" or "Davy Crocket"; like Buck knives.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fair question, I have a Leupold on there now and it seems to randomly shift zero once in a while. Also, reading on other forums a lot of people claim Leupold don't track consistently when dialing. I mostly just want to try something different.

I'd prefer a Pre-'03 Vari-X series to anything in the VX -1, 2, 3, II, III, or 3i if I were needing to dial, IMO the pre-03's were a better made scope, they were still stamped "Made In America" rather than "Assembled In America".

Regarding the OP, Nightforce is an easy decision for me over Vortex. Vortex changes their line often which significantly devalues each earlier generation of scope.

Someone better versed in Vortex warrantee will have to comment regarding the line-up changes and what happens when Vortex no longer makes the scope you bought with OTC replacement warrantee? Do they replace with the newest model or are you on the hook for some $$ for the new one?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are looking for light weight Night Force is not your friend I have 4 and they are heavier, more so the higher end ones. Leupold has been good but mine are older models also, not sure of new stuff.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have had the same problems with the newer Mark IV. I shot a group with it, and a 1977 $27 Bushnell and sent it in with the scope. After the third time they sent me a new scope. I sold it for $800 without ever opening it. Around the same time I got a set of Leupokd mounts with the rear mounting having an offset screw hole. I inscribe on the bottom with a Dremel so I know which gun it matches if I remove it and go back to it. Anyway I sent it to Leupold and quickly received new mounts. Unfortunately on the bottom it said R700-308. Oops wrong one it read WF70-223. Winchester Featherweight 223.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the same problems with the newer Mark IV. I shot a group with it, and a 1977 $27 Bushnell and sent it in with the scope. After the third time they sent me a new scope. I sold it for $800 without ever opening it. Around the same time I got a set of Leupokd mounts with the rear mounting having an offset screw hole. I inscribe on the bottom with a Dremel so I know which gun it matches if I remove it and go back to it. Anyway I sent it to Leupold and quickly received new mounts. Unfortunately on the bottom it said R700-308. Oops wrong one it read WF70-223. Winchester Featherweight 223.

I used to use Leupold Dual Dovetail bases frequently. I think sometime relatively recently they went from machined to MIM (metal injection molded) and the strength is very poor. I've broken 3 brand new sets trying to turn in a brand-new ring.

I was a Leupold ZEALOT for an awful long time, but I don't even consider them anymore when buying new. I used to scrounge gun-shops for used Leupold scopes as well but I haven't bought one of them in several years either. Any rifle I use for filling tags now has either a 2.5-10x42 NXS or 3-10x42 SHV mounted to it, mostly due my complete faith in their mechanical robustidity.

I'm 14 shots into trying a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x42 as well. It tracked well getting it sighted in and seemed to hold zero shooting a couple groups @ 200yds but that's far from a robust or thorough test.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone better versed in Vortex warrantee will have to comment regarding the line-up changes and what happens when Vortex no longer makes the scope you bought with OTC replacement warrantee? Do they replace with the newest model or are you on the hook for some $$ for the new one?[/QUOTE]

If they are not able to repair or replace with the same model they will replace with the new model free of charge.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69