Kayak question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get a few kayaks. Probably look for used as well if I can find lightly used ones. What do I look for? I don't really know anything about them. Not for fishing. Wife and kids want to putz around lakes on nice days in summer so just for recreational. We have done it before and enjoyed them. I think my wife wants a tandem one so she and my daughter can share. Do you kayak guys have any thoughts on brands or styles or what to look for? Thanks

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have several Wilderness System kayaks. We have both single and tandem models. They are moderately priced and have served our family well over the past several years. We also prefer sit-in rather than sit-on for river and lake kayaking. Great family sport!!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wire, sit in I assume means your legs go inside vs just resting on top? Thanks

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are some cheap ones that Menards will have on sale soon every spring for 150$ or so,, pretty decent for the price and if you just need one for cruising around

NodakBob

Honored Member
Lots of things to consider, such as how will you be hauling them? I can fit a 12 footer in the back of my super duty short box with the tailgate down so I don’t need a roof rack. I have four kayaks but I prefer the sit in for recreational use and I have a sit on top one for fishing. Pungo is a really good model at Scheels but will cost $800-900 or so. Look for ones that have comfortable seats features like drink holders in a dry compartment to put your phone in. Short ones are more maneuverable but are made maneuvering for white water, and a really long skinny one is the most efficient paddling if you’re going touring, something in between is best for recreational use.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Biggest decision is sit on top versus sit in. Pros and cons either way. Most sit on tops have scupper holes that will keep water in the kayak if the rider is heavy enough. Scupper plugs are sold, but I had to epoxy mine in to keep them sealed. You should always be prepared to get wet, but I prefer not to sit in water if I can avoid it, especially cold water.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking into a pedal drive kayak, but no one remotely close seems to sell them. Would be nice to not have to mail order one.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking into a pedal drive kayak, but no one remotely close seems to sell them. Would be nice to not have to mail order one.

Keep an eye out at runnings. I’ve seen one there and at scheels. Pretty penny though.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

any idea what type you are looking for or are looking to spend? There are 2 types: one with an actual propeller and one with fin like paddles. You are gonna spend in the $2k neighborhood or better.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
any idea what type you are looking for or are looking to spend? There are 2 types: one with an actual propeller and one with fin like paddles. You are gonna spend in the $2k neighborhood or better.
Ya, I know they are not cheap. Thought it would be slick to get into some of these smaller lakes. Been looking at a bunch of different manufacturers. Old Town, Hobie and a few others. I will take a look at Fleet Farm.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a wilderness systems brand. I really like it and it’s a blast to fish out of. In my opinion, for fishing and maintaining boat position the propeller type have a big advantage. Hobies have a great kayak and there are things to like about the drive system but the instant reverse just by pedaling backwards a bit is really nice for fishing. I’d say if you are going to be semi serious about it don’t cheap out. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy has one, a fishing model, he used it a bunch for his first season, it sits in our storage area now. Hoping to see him use it this summer, as we are seasonally camped again for the first time in a few years.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pedal ones certainly aren’t cheap. I was having a little fun on one site putting a kayak and accessories in the Cart to buy. I was up to $3000. The kayak alone is $2200. That’s not even remotely the most expensive you can buy. But can you really put a price on fun. Lol. Guys buy $100,000 Rangers. 2 or $3000 for a kayak doesn’t seem too bad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75