April Blizzard Predicted next week

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know we got 4'± in Botno/Metigoshe area. We need it ... Metigoshe was down 3 feet last fall. Had to push the pontoon off the lift.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[Ron Popeil voice]
But wait... There's more!

neato.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Miserable - but certainly appears to be answered prayers for a lot of you out west!

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hope it's more rain than snow right now....though the snow banks have shrunk decent the past couple days around here. Just keep hoping for more action in southern MT and northern WY tributaries to the Yellowstone. Keep praying boys!!! Every inch of precipitation helps the cause.

Anybody else see the video of Brandon talking to a group and when the Easter Bunny came to pull him away, he had a look of being momentarily scared that I thought he was ready to smack that damn rabbit. :eek:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That numb nut JB needs to go to a home, he will be picking up rabbit turds next Easter

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Alan two thumbs up on your write up on the hydrologic Outlook today! Definitely long-winded but obviously extraordinarily in-depth just the way I like it!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, possibility of 3 inches or more of water equivalent moisture. Possibility of 1/4 inch of ice buildup. We are in a blizzard warning from 4am Saturday to 7pm Sunday. 8-14 inches of snow and 55 mph winds. With the wind and ice, I can already see the power lines dancing up and down. ;:;banghead

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep, possibility of 3 inches or more of water equivalent moisture. Possibility of 1/4 inch of ice buildup. We are in a blizzard warning from 4am Saturday to 7pm Sunday. 8-14 inches of snow and 55 mph winds. With the wind and ice, I can already see the power lines dancing up and down. ;:;banghead
You guys need to find out what you did to piss-off Mother Nature and offer up some kind of sacrifice. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the biggest wildcard this weekend is that there will be thunderstorms, maybe even thunder snow. Last I looked the best chance for t-storms is in the area between Bismarck and Jamestown. The rest of the west will likely see strataform rains with rates of 0.1-0.2 inches per hour, and with thawed out soils that isn't an unreasonable rate for seeing much of it disappear into the ground. Where things could go bad is if we see a strong thunderstorm track over an area with a significant amount of snow (let's say Minot, for example) in that kind of scenario we could see pretty strong runoff and overland flooding since the ditches and natural drainages are still mostly blocked by snow drifts.

Oh well, we'll know in just a few short days.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know down here the frost is still not out when we started excavation yesterday.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I decided to open the sidewalk in front of the house today. About a foot and a half thick. At bottom it was pure slush and wet with water while on top it was snow.
When to lawn and same. I assume that the water there at bottom will not run off but go into the soil. no/yes db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know down here the frost is still not out when we started excavation yesterday.

Frost may not be all the way out yet, but it's getting pretty deep all across ND.

https://www.ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu/deep-soil-temperatures.html

I love having this data available to us nowadays, 10 years ago there were like 2 or 3 soil temp profiles in the entire state. Now we are starting to get some pretty good density of data.

FWIW, 20 inches of thawed out soil can easily hold 4 inches of water with an average porosity of 20-25%, and that's using a fairly low expectation for soil porosity in ND. Locally, it can easily be roughly twice that. And that's what leads a person to the conclusion of there is plenty of storage capacity in the soil, so it becomes a non-simple math problem of rain rates + melt rates - infiltration rates (via hydraulic conductivities for said soils) equals expected runoff.

And to db-2, yes. That is a common observation this year and we rarely see much runoff from soil induced melting of the snow and ice. It's just too slow overall. Maybe on a really nice sunny day in the spring will you see an inch or so of snow-water equivalent converted from snow to liquid water. Rainfall though, especially in a thunderstorm can easily exceed a rate of 2-3 inches per hour. That's when you see a lot of runoff because the rainfall rate has greatly exceeded the infiltration rate (not overall capacity) of the soil. So long as the drainages are clear, that water gets in motion and generally stays in motion.

- - - Updated - - -

At least we will have company with the unpleasant weather theme.

https://twitter.com/NWSReno/status/1516767775968174094/photo/2

Good for them, they need it as well.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My sump pump has been running for two weeks now. I think the frost is out in my yard anyways. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here comes the first serve thunderstotm

- - - Updated - - -

See ya at da high water ramp

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well not sure where this next storm will take us as a state on the US drought monitor list but one thing is undeniably clear at this point, the farmers putting seeds in the ground this spring will not be planting them into drought conditions!!!! Now the only question is will they actually get the opportunity to plant their damn fields between these never-ending storms?

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If this weather pattern keeps up this thread will be as long as the COVID thread!

I’m loving the moisture, but at the same time hating that it is preventing me from doing pretty much everything I want to be doing.
…but I’m thankful for every drop we get.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75