Getting Started Trolling Cranks

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys use for replacement trebles on cranks? I have a number of cranks in need of new trebles, wondering if I should go with berkley fusion 19s or something else.

Depends on the crank. A lot of the Rapala stuff uses short shank VMC's. The others I have used various hooks, just make sure to size them right. And get a good split ring pliers!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you. When I was shopping for trolling rods before, I saw planer board, dipsy diver, lead core, and downrigger all as options for a type of rod. For longlining is there a certain type that would be better than others or a kind I should stay away from?

Sorry for the late response, haven't been on here much. But to start I would keep it basic. Get some trolling rods. Start with a couple shorts, 5'6" and a couple 8'6". Add lead core if you want, the thing that drives me nuts with lead core, is you are tied to a specific speed of 2.0mph or slower. Much faster and the line rises due to its thickness. more on this in a minute. No need for down riggers fishing for walleye in this state. Yes, they can catch fish, but not often you will be pulling cranks over 40 fow, and you can get that deep with lead core or snap weights. I personally don't like dipsy divers but to keep things simple to start, I would stay away from them and add them later if you want.

Ok lead core: I will probably catch some flack for this, but I think it's completely over rated. I use it, I catch fish with it, but there isn't anything lead core can do that my snap weights can't. and when I want to get down deep, say 30 feed deep, with lead core I need to let out 150' feet of line. I can get that deep running 70-80 feet of total line out with a 3oz snap weight, plus I late in summer when the fish are super active with warm water, I can run at 2.5mph and 3.0mph and stay down deep, which lead core can't do. Don't get me wrong, I like lead core, it works, but I find myself using snap weights much more.

Also, late summer and fall, don't be afraid to put on big cranks and troll deep. Nothing like having a 25"+ pound a crank zipping by at 2.5mph with a big lip on the front.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Do you use mono or braid with snap weights? I try to use braid whenever possible, but I've heard that the snap weight clips often slip on braid. Is wrapping around the clip a possibility, or would that be a massive PIA when trying to unclip to reel a fish in? Thanks for any info.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you use mono or braid with snap weights? I try to use braid whenever possible, but I've heard that the snap weight clips often slip on braid. Is wrapping around the clip a possibility, or would that be a massive PIA when trying to unclip to reel a fish in? Thanks for any info.

I have used braid for the past 5 years with snap weights and have never had a problem. I did switch out the clips though. I use the clip that has the small peg in the middle. If you check offshore tackle, you will see what I'm talking about.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, ignorant here. Have never used snapweights. Have always just used deeper diving usually less than 25' where I fish. What is this 50 - 50 deal we talk about? Is that if you are fishing (ex.) 20', you let out 10' clip weight on, and then down another 10' ?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, ignorant here. Have never used snapweights. Have always just used deeper diving usually less than 25' where I fish. What is this 50 - 50 deal we talk about? Is that if you are fishing (ex.) 20', you let out 10' clip weight on, and then down another 10' ?

50/50 is a guide really. but the concept is let out 50' of line, clip on your snap weight and let out another 50'. It's really just a guide though. It's mostly trial and error. For example, if I use a 1oz weight, let out 50' the clip on the weight, and lets say using a #5 shad rap, but trying to fish 30fow, I won't be anywhere near bottom, but same scenario using a 3oz weight trolling at 2mph, then 50/50 may be close. Could also be totally different if you are using a deep diving crank. I've used 1oz snap weights to get #7 flicker minnows, which already dive to 12', to the same depth, but instead of letting out 150' of line flatlining, the snap weight allows me to do it using a 10/40 method.

snap weights just really give you some options and can help spread out your lines if you want. Sorry, I know that's more than what you asked, but I got to rambling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74