Casting rod

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the market for a new spinning rod to cast cranks and pitch swimbaits. What's your favorite? Leaning towards Scheels rods, because of the warranty.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenwick hmx for me, titanium eyelets last forever, I’ve had one for ten years now and no problems

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Scheel's ONE, a 7 foot spinner, for general purpose, casting jigs, and smaller cranks...great rod with very good feel.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenwick still has lifetime warranty on some of their products, Im not a rod snob and would rather spend more on a good reel and just get an adequate rod. If you are casting, Id look at something about 7ft with a medium action, I like medium/light for jigging typically.

- - - Updated - - -

I was visiting with wade at dakota tackle on friday and he was thinking about extending his spring sale another week due to the storm. Im going to get a new fenwick HMX probably because the guides are sturdier than some the more expensive rods that come with the lifetime warranty.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
St croix here too. For casting get yourself a medium/medium. That softer tip will get you more distance cause it will bend and get you some whip action. Stiffer action is good for jigging but not so much for casting. They will work but the softer action works much better.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
7'6" medium power/mod fast action is perfect for pitching cranks, but not good for swimbaits. JT makes a 7'9" that works very well for pitching cranks and swimbaits. It's a medium power/fast action but is a little slower due to the length. I used mine for double duty last fall to see how it performed. You can cast a country mile with it, has the power to drive hooks home but just the right action to not rip hooks out.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I'll second the Scheels One 7' rod and spinning combo, great quality for the $$$...I like the ML for pitching light floating cranks. Also have a new similar Fenwick from Dakota Tackle I can't wait to try out.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ASSume you're talking bait casting. For the above lures I'd go with a 7ft (or +) fast med heavy with a shitton of guides along the blank. I love Scheel's rods and all the aforementioned brands. I have a Lew's and an AllStar which have provided good service for 20+yrs. May also check into Bass Pro Shop/Johnny Morris. Not quite the cache of the above brands yet same quality. My Lew's and AllStar are stamped made in the USA...Still using one cannibalized USA Zebco Quantam spinner. Sad days.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a rod that has a lifetime warranty which rules all Scheels rods out. Gloomis, Fenwick and St Croix are all good rods

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with warranty protection: On the manufacture's side: "Why the hell should the rod be replaced due to retardation?!! We produce a quality product and expect a certain amount of respect and care."

UglyStick (Shakespeare) in the '80's produced unrealistic commercials, warrantees and noodle rods which wrap line around the tip like a bouncing dildo. They're good cat rods from a boat or bank. They're also good from a pier for mostly illegal shark fishing.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both St. Croix and Scheels. I will stick with Scheels, as they have been nothing less than great with customer service. Have used the warranty 3 times in 22 years. If you have an issue, you walk in and get one off the rack. With the others you pay to ship them back, then wait and hope when it gets back to you it is not broke during shipping.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm planning on picking up either a Scheels ONE or the split grip walleye series over fish fest. I'm stuck to 6'6 though because that's the longest that'll fit in my rod locker.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both St. Croix and Scheels. I will stick with Scheels, as they have been nothing less than great with customer service. Have used the warranty 3 times in 22 years. If you have an issue, you walk in and get one off the rack. With the others you pay to ship them back, then wait and hope when it gets back to you it is not broke during shipping.
With those Chinese rods and the price they get, you are paying for the warranty.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76