Tough Day~

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been all to often occurence to lay friend or family member to rest lately in this case a friend so close we were like brother's,Fort Snelling this morning,full military honors,thought I had my shit together until they played "taps" nope,I'm sure some of you guyz can relate... R.I.P. you big galoot we had a good run.

this bag contains the empties of his 21gun salute,he had no family members just me and 3 bikers that strolled in when they seen me alone with the honor guard,caring souls...

21gun.jpg

sdday.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wifes grandpa died a little while ago WW2 bomber vet and when they played taps pretty sure not a dry eye around.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wifes grandpa died a little while ago WW2 bomber vet and when they played taps pretty sure not a dry eye around.

Yeah Kurtr,I'm not as tough as I think I am,I can relate.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've lost 4 work acquaintances and a work friend in the last year and a half, so I know where you are coming from. Some of us are just at that age where friends our age around us are cashing in their chips. Just hope I can keep playing for a long while yet.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed sl,today was the hardest,lost 14 close friends in the past year....just embrace each day,life is short.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandpa had the full military honors and ever since then TAPS always gets me. Even if it's not someone I know.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very sorry to hear of your loss Snow.... Thank you and to all of our vets out there for their service to this Great Nation!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss of a friend snow. I notice as we grow older and testosterone levels crash we get a lot more tender hearted. Lost two classmates this year. and some local friends. Cancer, Covid, heart attacks, we arn't getting out of this alive.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Been in those shoes too often last couple years at the ND Veterans Cemetery...Sorry for your loss and thanks to all who have served

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry for your loss Snow. I know my circle of friends from high school is about gone. LB

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss Snow. Taps takes it's toll on many of us.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a friend who was in the navy during WW2 and whose son was later in the Navy in Korea and was killed in a motorcycle accident. Denny says he cannot listen to Taps without bawling like a baby.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanx guyz for all the condolences even tho many of us have never met we share the same lane.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cry when Taps is played no matter WHO is being laid to rest. I'd be a bumbling slob if it were someone I'm a brother to, relative or not blood relative. I feel that pain, bro.

I received and presented the US Flag to my aunt when my retired uncle passed away. Couldn't even start the sentence, "Aunt Heidi, from a grateful......" without sobbing out loud. I'm unsure if my words were even understood as I placed the folded flag in her arms.

We're tough on the exterior but we're saps on the inside. <3

★ Legendary Member
After losing my dad 5 years ago this month, I crumble every time I hear Taps being played as well. He passed in the Fargo VA at 3am and they call in 2 vets to transport him from his room with the Navy flag draped over him while playing Taps. All health care providers stand at attention. I was not expecting that kind of ceremony. The VA did a great job of honoring him. Brings a whole new level of appreciation to our vets from my entire family.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
After losing my dad 5 years ago this month, I crumble every time I hear Taps being played as well. He passed in the Fargo VA at 3am and they call in 2 vets to transport him from his room with the Navy flag draped over him while playing Taps. All health care providers stand at attention. I was not expecting that kind of ceremony. The VA did a great job of honoring him. Brings a whole new level of appreciation to our vets from my entire family.

My wife works at the VA here in Fargo - they call it the "Honor Walk" - the first time she witnessed it she came home in tears it moved her so much.

Taps - boy my father passed away back in 2006 - I took my mother to Bismarck to the Veterans Cemetery for the Memorial Day Ceremony. I can't go back it made me cry for a day and really shook my mom.

Snow1 - very sorry for your loss. Praying you have better days ahead.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80