Tough Day~

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
snow:
Some days are tough with some more so than others. We have all been there and somehow get by them.
For the dead, they now know the real deal about the final stage and i do take relief in that knowledge as i get older my faith is stronger. db

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My condolences snow1.

My father was a Korean war veteran. At his death/funeral I held it all together suprisingly well as we were very close.
But then I lost it at the cemetery .... when they played taps. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it. I know how important serving our country was to him and how he instilled respect for our country and service men/women in us.

God bless all of you veterans and current service men/women.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my bride down to Mayo again yesterday, so just getting caught up on what was posted yesterday.
Sorry to her of your friend's passing Snow.
I too, cry like a baby when Taps are played.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow, very sorry for the loss of your close friend. Thoughts and Prayers go out to you.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bag of brass just like that one, at home. From the Veterans Cemetery south of Mandan. My dad has been gone now coming up on three years.

The cemetery service, with the honor guard, taps, etc, was the most magnificent thing I've seen. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

My dad retired after 43 years in the Army, and later became one of the groundskeepers out at the Veterans Cemetery. He was a fixture at that place. When we left the chapel, one of his best friends took his urn for a ride through the grounds, on the tractor that my dad always used. They had that machine spotless. When we got to the grave, they handed his urn to me, and I placed him in the ground. With his friends. With his countrymen.

Okay.. someone's gotta be cutting onions nearby.

Anyhow, yes, I have a bag very much like that one.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a bag of brass just like that one, at home. From the Veterans Cemetery south of Mandan. My dad has been gone now coming up on three years.

The cemetery service, with the honor guard, taps, etc, was the most magnificent thing I've seen. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

My dad retired after 43 years in the Army, and later became one of the groundskeepers out at the Veterans Cemetery. He was a fixture at that place. When we left the chapel, one of his best friends took his urn for a ride through the grounds, on the tractor that my dad always used. They had that machine spotless. When we got to the grave, they handed his urn to me, and I placed him in the ground. With his friends. With his countrymen.

Okay.. someone's gotta be cutting onions nearby.

Anyhow, yes, I have a bag very much like that one.

We must be cutting onions here today too . . .

God bless you and your family. Your Dad sounds like the real McCoy. I am always saddened when I read of another veteran who has passed away. Don't even have to know him/her.

Silver

Taps still get to me.....

During my four years of High School (a long time ago), I was a first-chair trumpet player in the Band.

I got out of school for every military funeral to play taps. I would be there before the family and hearse showed up. I moved a little distance in the trees away from the family and played taps.....such a sad song.

Silver

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73