Electric boats? coming soon or probably not?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
What say the peanut gallery about these?
They are already here but the question is when or if they become popular with people other than the fossil fuel hate groups?

3.-CANDELA-PIERRE-MANGEZ-14042021-075315-2-2.jpg

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electricity and water, what could possibly happen? Stay out in a lightning storm to recharge batteries? ;:;rofl

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electricity and water, what could possibly happen? Stay out in a lightning storm to recharge batteries? ;:;rofl
Your current boat runs without electronics or batteries?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is YOUR boat's propulsion POWERED completely by electricity? ;:;banghead
Pull the batteries out of that sparkly boat and let me know how far you get. How are just bigger batteries powering an electric motor any different. Been using completely electric trolling motors for decades, a bigger one wouldn’t be any different. Basically “electricity” as you put it isn’t the issue, companies are already doing it. Plenty of other issues before they are mainstream though for sure, but that’s more so on the amount of drag water creates and the size of batteries needed for any range of a deep v boat. It’s why a lot of the current versions are high end models on foils. Minimal drag like a World Cup yacht, but a bit cost prohibitive for the average Joe.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grand kids have had one that's all electric for 5 years or so and they like it so far. I'ts more of a speed boat so they haven't ever went fishing in it. That little bugger really goes .

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull the batteries out of that sparkly boat and let me know how far you get. How are just bigger batteries powering an electric motor any different. Been using completely electric trolling motors for decades, a bigger one wouldn’t be any different. Basically “electricity” as you put it isn’t the issue, companies are already doing it. Plenty of other issues before they are mainstream though for sure, but that’s more so on the amount of drag water creates and the size of batteries needed for any range of a deep v boat. It’s why a lot of the current versions are high end models on foils. Minimal drag like a World Cup yacht, but a bit cost prohibitive for the average Joe.[

^^^^ this.. hey..any of you older folks remember the Jetson's cartoon? Some of that stuff is already happening! just my .02

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ this.. hey..any of you older folks remember the Jetson's cartoon? Some of that stuff is already happening! just my .02

Yes like it was yesterday but also remember the flintstones .. We are stuck somewhere in the middle for the next 20-30 years

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the world goes all electric, how many innocent children’s lives will be ruined by not being exposed to the sounds combustible engines make and the attempt to replicate those sounds. Sad

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
electric trolling motors are great but limited in range, a 150 hp would be cool but replacing battery's every few years isn't very cost effective. People have to start realizing battery's are just storage units for power generated by fossil fuels and nukes more often than not.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think there’s merit to a very small turbine engine powering a charging system for E-vehicles.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think there’s merit to a very small turbine engine powering a charging system for E-vehicles.

And what powers the turbine engine ... gas, propane or diesel??? The turbine engine CANNOT provide more electric energy than it uses in gas, diesel or propane. Laws of physics/energy say it's so.

I can just see an electric car on a long range trip pulling a trailer with a diesel generator plugged into the car to keep it charged. Talk about hypocricy.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That boat also appears to be running on hydrofoils which is another thing entirely.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think to many people get caught up in the fossil fuel vs electric debate when it comes to electric vehicles. We haven't all switched to electric augers because they are "green" we've done it because they are lighter, faster, more convenient easier to maintain etc. Eventually the same will go for a lot of other electric things including vehicles and boats. It wont matter that the electricity comes from Coal or NG, people will buy them because they are just the better choice for their situation.

One could make the argument pretty easily now that a family with two vehicles in a major city with good infrastructure would be better off with one electric and one gas rather than two gas vehicles. Myself with one pickup as a vehicle probably wont be going electric for a long long time yet, but I certainly understand the benefit for some, and that benefit will keep increasing over time as the technology progresses and becomes cheaper.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well said. I'm a long ways from switching to an electric truck but never say never. If you told me 10 years ago that both my ice augers, leaf blower, trimmer, power tools, etc would all be electric I'd have said you're smoking drugs.

I think to many people get caught up in the fossil fuel vs electric debate when it comes to electric vehicles. We haven't all switched to electric augers because they are "green" we've done it because they are lighter, faster, more convenient easier to maintain etc. Eventually the same will go for a lot of other electric things including vehicles and boats. It wont matter that the electricity comes from Coal or NG, people will buy them because they are just the better choice for their situation.

One could make the argument pretty easily now that a family with two vehicles in a major city with good infrastructure would be better off with one electric and one gas rather than two gas vehicles. Myself with one pickup as a vehicle probably wont be going electric for a long long time yet, but I certainly understand the benefit for some, and that benefit will keep increasing over time as the technology progresses and becomes cheaper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
And what powers the turbine engine ... gas, propane or diesel??? The turbine engine CANNOT provide more electric energy than it uses in gas, diesel or propane. Laws of physics/energy say it's so.

I can just see an electric car on a long range trip pulling a trailer with a diesel generator plugged into the car to keep it charged. Talk about hypocricy.

Jet-A most likely. I’m thinking that a small turbine powering a charging system might provide greater efficiency than a regular gas/Diesel engine. Just a different manner of “Hybrid”.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Like it or not electric and hydrogen is the future. It may not fully replace gas and diesel but many manufacturers are pouring money into it and evetually it will take over mass production.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Electric boats have been around for a long time. They were called submarines. Run silent Run deep. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75