Smoked prime rib

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone done one? Easter rehash this weekend, and thinking about throwing a $100 chunk of meat in the smoker.

Thinking cherry wood, nice mild smoke. If it was just for me, I'd probably go hickory, but trying to find a happy middle.

Tips welcome. I don't feel like I can really go wrong if I keep an eye on temps, because even bad prime rib is pretty good.

Probably grill a few shrimp skewers, too. Nobody other tha me in my house eats them, but the in-laws and outlaws like them.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
P.D. so how did it go? curious I did a 3" one bone rib roast /steak on easter,charcoal grill over cherry wood,turned out fantastic.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm trying it this upcoming weekend. Postponed Easter last weekend because I didn't want anyone trapped at my house.;)

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm trying it this upcoming weekend. Postponed Easter last weekend because I didn't want anyone trapped at my house.;)

I can relate... LOL,few years back I had a electric smoker until I purchased a pellet grill,sadly I gave my smoker away thinking this pellet grill would fill the void,not so,MPO is these pellet grills are over rated,anyway I smoked a 5lb rib roast in my old smoker with pecan wood,put a try of water under neath the roast to catch drippings and add moisture to the beef,also injected the roast with cajun butter infused with garlic,my first attempt smoking a roast so didn't invite ppl over,glad I didn't as the roast turned out fantastic and would've had to share.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done few roasts in an electric smoker.

Go low and slow, and when it's close to where you want it for temp, take it out and wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler for an hour.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reverse-Sear using the smoker @ <225 degrees to get the roast up to 100-110 internal temp, then rest for 20-30 min once rested place the roast in/on a heat source @ 450-500 degrees to finish @ your desired doneness and put on a nice crust.

Silver

Smoked ribeye sounds great! I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Can you help with the temperature and amount of time/lb. of boneless ribeye roast?

Thanks!

★ Legendary Member
prime.jpg
I believe less is more from a seasoning stand point. I use Traeger prime rib rub and salt/pepper(I apply generously). I pulled at 130 in the center of the roast....ends might be higher temp...tented with tinfoil for at least 10-15min. before slicing...see pictures for results. My biggest recommendation get prime---prime rib not choice. Its more expensive, but well worth the extra money. Got mine at costco for $13.79/pound(If I remember right). They didn't have any out and I had to ask if they had an prime in the back. If you pay close attention to the thermometer you won't mess it up.
cooked at 250 on the Traeger

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
49,looks absolutly delicious....never tried traeger rub,will look into it now,thanx.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll probably run 250° in the pellet smoker. The Pit Boss seems to bounce around quite a bit at 225, with some spikes up in the 300 range, but holds pretty steady at 250.

If it was for the evening meal, I'd probably do it in the propane smoker, but will probably go the pellet route so I don't have to babysit it as much at dawn.

Times seem to point at 35-40 minutes per pound, but you never know from one piece of meat to the next.

I'll probably skip the smoke tube on this one and keep the smoke pretty light.

Thanks for the tips!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont know what the fascination is to take one of the best cuts of meat and smoke it up. For me and family its salt and pepper. Oven broiler set at high, Put the prime rib in with fat side down for 10 mins. Pull it out and turn over and put back in oven for 10 mins. Then shut the oven off and DO NOT open the oven door for 2 hrs. Its perfect every time if its a 12 to 15 lb, if its a little to rare for some people drop it in a hot cast iron skillet for 30 sec and flip for another 30 sec to a min.

All the dripping are saved and do not taste like smoke. And you have a good base for Au Jus sauce.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Common sense dog,some like adventure,me included,but thanx for your go-to,never did the broiler deal,my favorite for years was rotisserie prime rib,bought one of the first "ron popeil" rotisseries 20 years ago,seldom used today but was the ticket years ago,next rib roast I'm taking your nod,give it a whirl I like simple.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the oven is your thing... and it is for me anytime its not grilling season... like someone else said, reverse sear is the ticket. more than a few studies have been done and it saves just a bit more moisture than the sear first method surprisingly. so, 225-250 til it hits just shy of the internal temp you are looking for. then crank it up to give it that bark. pull and rest. and ALWAYS do your best to get it to room temp before you start cooking. which can take hours on the counter. a cold center leads to uneven results and other problematic situations like the marbling not spending any decent amount of time at the desired temp and not breaking down at all.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont know what the fascination is to take one of the best cuts of meat and smoke it up. For me and family its salt and pepper. Oven broiler set at high, Put the prime rib in with fat side down for 10 mins. Pull it out and turn over and put back in oven for 10 mins. Then shut the oven off and DO NOT open the oven door for 2 hrs. Its perfect every time if its a 12 to 15 lb, if its a little to rare for some people drop it in a hot cast iron skillet for 30 sec and flip for another 30 sec to a min.

All the dripping are saved and do not taste like smoke. And you have a good base for Au Jus sauce.

For me, the answer is twofold. I like the kiss of smoke on my meats, and using the smoker will free up the oven for proofing and baking fresh buns.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
esp,

"let it sit on the counter?" great advice until you forget the child gate going into the kitchen and you snaky golden retriever is always looking for your lapst in memory,roasts,take out etc...my boy is 9yrs old and always looks for an opening.lol

PD quote;For me, the answer is twofold. I like the kiss of smoke on my meats, and using the smoker will free up the oven for proofing and baking fresh buns. I use wood smoke bbqing everything on the charcoal grill,poultry,beef,pork.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like a whisp of smoke and exterior bark I get from doing Prime Rib over lump charcoal. Key for me is to get the roast seasoned several days prior to cooking. Some garlic olive oil, little bit of rosemary and thyme, the lots of large sea salt crystals and wrap it in Saran Wrap.

I'm also a fan of bringing the roast up to room temp prior to adding it to whatever heat source you like to use.

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Season it and put in the fridge for a couple days. Bring to room temp and throw on smoker at 250. Get it to desired temp. Pull off and rest covered for 20-30 minutes. Can’t really screw it up. I usually get internal temp to around 140 cause my family doesn’t like medium rare. Gets it more around medium and the ends are a little more well done for those that like it that way.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I do mine a bit differently. I season 24 hours before and put in the fridge. On smoke day I get the smokehouse warmed up to 175 -180 BEFORE putting meat in. Then put the meat in for about 20 minutes to get the outside warmed up and juicy. Then I add the smoke and hold for about 3 hours at 175-180 and watch the internal meat temp on a cable thermometer. When the internal temp hits around 150 I roll the heat up to about 400 and finish it off. When the meat hits 160 I pull it out. By that time the outside has a nice crust and the edges are done enough for those who like tortured meat. (Grin) Then let rest and serve. Most of the meat is MR. This is making me hungry as I type this.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As far as well, medium, and rare. My wife likes a very sharp fork so she can spear any chunk that try's to escape the plate. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76