Hummingbird for linking to minnkota terrova

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently have lowrance units , when trolling I will push the n button . My boat will still veer off because
of wind , or by moving around in the boat . By holding the n button for 2 seconds will it hold course better ?
Should I buy a bird to work with the terrova to keep a course . Mostly used for pulling cranks . If I buy a
bird , I would more than likely buy a helix 7 gen 3 because of the size of it . Not much room for a bigger unit .

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always turn off advanced autopilot. Like you said, with wind it seems to zig-zag too much. I think on mine I can set it up to have it turned off all the time.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old guy with Ulterra and I sometimes have the same problem. I follow what the book says about programing. (not trying to be a smart ass) But you drive around in circles to program something. This works good for me for trolling on course or a heading and also makes the anchor mode work perfect. Their are many on here that can explain it better than me. GOOD Luck!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only way hooking up a newer unit to it would help is if your motor has Ipilot link, you could use the follow the contour feature to maybe keep you on the track you want.

You can also record tracks on your terrova with or without a graph attached, it's really easy.

I see the same thing with autopilot, sometimes it works really well other times I'm adjusting the steering often to compensate for wind, etc. I also think it works a little better with the advanced autopilot turned off.

- - - Updated - - -

Old guy with Ulterra and I sometimes have the same problem. I follow what the book says about programing. (not trying to be a smart ass) But you drive around in circles to program something. This works good for me for trolling on course or a heading and also makes the anchor mode work perfect. Their are many on here that can explain it better than me. GOOD Luck!

You're referring to the newer minnkotas that come with the white heading sensor puck. It does have you do a calibration procedure that involves driving the boat in a circle. I think that's mostly for the spotlock feature accuracy, not sure if that would help autopilot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66