That time of year

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is that time of year again. As many have to re-learn how to drive on snow after the first snowfall of the year, so should some refresh themselves on open water rules of the road. A quick rundown here:
Right-of-Way Rules for Boaters (msn.com)
Coast Guard updates are here:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRuleChanges
Remember to be aware of your wake. If your wake swamps or capsizes another vessel you are responsible.
With the increase of non powered fishing craft, wakes can be life threatening.
Have fun out there, be safe, and wait for this last blizzard to pass.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Dont forget NDG&F rule that boats stay 100’ from shore fisherman and other floating craft...

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks, good reminders for everyone.

Also note that faster does not necessarily mean larger wake. Too many people think they're being polite slowing to come off plane when passing nearby, but that just sends out a bigger wake. If you want to minimize your wake, you should be near idle or on plane, not in between.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, good reminders for everyone.

Also note that faster does not necessarily mean larger wake. Too many people think they're being polite slowing to come off plane when passing nearby, but that just sends out a bigger wake. If you want to minimize your wake, you should be near idle or on plane, not in between.
Had a person almost swamp me in my 14 ft a few years back, by going as slow as he possibly could while on plane when he went past me. We where on a small lake and was loaded down pretty good with people, I just pointed the nose into it and everyone got got water on them but we didn’t get turned over. If he would have just went by like normal it wouldn’t have been a problem

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love tugboating past people in canoes, kayaks, and the such.. Puts a real smile on my face...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember to be aware of your wake.

Also remember to:

Pack Everything you're taking for the day into your boat before you take a space ON the ramp

Check your batteries/connections/switches/pumps @ home before you get to the ramp

Start your motor on muffs before you head to the ramp and address any failure to start BEFORE going to any ramp

Put your plug in before you back down the ramp (guilty at least 1x/summer)

Remove your motor support before you back down the ramp (guilty at least 1x/summer)

Unhook the straps from the back of the boat before you back down the ramp (guilty about every-other year)

Remember that a busy day at a busy ramp IS NOT the time or place to try to teach someone to back up a boat trailer

If any problem is serious enough to need to remove the motor cover, then it's also serious enough to get the boat out of the water and out of the way.

Find your trolling-motor remote, make sure it's IN the boat.

Charge or check the battery in your trolling-motor remote.

Charge battery powered fillet knife body

Plug in and test 110V/12V fillet knife body

Sharpen any non-electric fillet knife you intend on actually using

Get all functions of your trailer lights operational

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love tugboating past people in canoes, kayaks, and the such.. Puts a real smile on my face...

I don't think it's a boat that your tugging on to get that smile. :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69