Hunting knives

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm in the market for a new knife for field dressing/butcher. I am looking for a fixed blade (not replaceable). What does every one have and why do you love it? Also wonder what steel everyone perfers. Maybe this was a thread before but didn't find one.

NodakBob

Honored Member
If I was only going to have one knife as you describe I would use my Buck Special (about $60?) which they now make it a more expensive better steel ($200?) that I haven’t tried, but it is good allrounder fixed blade for field dressing and butchering up to elk size. I like to use fillet knives for butchering and I have a custom handmade knife for skinning... so if money is no object there are a lot of nice custom-made knives out there.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have an old 3 1/2" western with the leather handle that will keep a good edge and I could shave with it and that's my dressing knife. I have a custom holder that also has a bone saw in it. People used to laugh at me when I would bring it out to field dress but after watching what I can do with it they shut up. My inter-circle of hunting friends called me the surgeon for a reason. LB

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a benchmade saddle mountain skinner that I love. I've had it for a couple seasons and have done probably 10 deer with it and only touched up the blade. I was going to send it to Benchmade to have it sharpened this year to see how it comes back. I've read good and bad on their sharpening services so we'll see how it goes.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a benchmade saddle mountain skinner that I love. I've had it for a couple seasons and have done probably 10 deer with it and only touched up the blade. I was going to send it to Benchmade to have it sharpened this year to see how it comes back. I've read good and bad on their sharpening services so we'll see how it goes.

Would love to hear about their sharpening services. I was looking at this particular knife. I like the fact of doing touch up and have them put a brand new edge on it after a few seasons

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was planning on sending it in shortly. I'll post a review when it gets back. My knife also has the diamond wood scales. It's been a great knife so far.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have maybe 10 or 12 different knives.

The one I grab most is a Buck 119. They hold a good edge and with the finest grit belt on my Worksharp sharpener I can shave the hair off my arms.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Puma Skinner with about a 6'blade that I have been using for close to 60 years so not about to change now. Also like to use filet knives for a lot of the butchering. If I were buying new I would have to look at the replaceable blade knives. Grandkids like them because they're new and they don't like to take the time to sharpen their knives I guess.

Knife sharpening is kind of a craft or skill on its own.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
pumas were expensive in the 70s very good knife, I have a 6 inch western skinner that is my main big
game knife.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Brusletto Bamsen made in Norway. It's a damn good fixed blade knife and it's what I carry when I hunt. I've used it to gut, break down, and butcher cattle, hogs, elk, deer, and untold numbers of birds. It's exceptionally sharp and holds an edge. I've yet to sharpen my current knife and it's seen over 4 years of use. I love'em. Here's a link to a cheesy youtube video, but you can get a good idea of what to expect. The music sucks so be prepared.

https://youtu.be/oHyZvUhHifk

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Charles May, pick your blade shape in S30V.

Dale Howe, pick your blade shape in Elmax.

If you can find someone willing to part with a Gene Ingram in S30V, or if he gets caught up on orders and starts producing knives for sale on his site they're actually my 1st pick.

I've gone through 1/2 Dz pocket knives from Benchmade in CMP154, S30V and M390, in all cases they don't hold an edge like an S30V or 154 from any of the custom guys. Blade material is only half the story, heat treat is the other half and IME, Benchmade doesn't get any of them hard enough to hold an edge like the custom guys do.

I've also had really good luck with a couple of knives in 52100, but, you've got to keep them clean or they'll stain quickly.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Buck Knife 105 that is 25 years old and has been great from deer to geese to pheasants to bear.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to get off topic a bit, hahaha..who all out there think the Leatherman Kick is better than the best thing since sliced bread?? :;:cheers
If you dont have it on your belt loop, get with the program!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Buck 110 for xmas in 70s. Just about every mammal I’ve skinned or gutted went under that knife.

Lots of good memories.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want a good butcher knife that you can also use for field dressing, then a victorinox 6” boning knife will do it all. I grew up in a butcher shop and that’s basically all we used from live animal to the very last cut. Victorinox straight steel is as good as anything else. You want the smooth uniform steel, not the diamond steel.

I use that knife at home. In the field an Outdoor Edge razor pro just can’t be beat IMO (unless going ultralight). I carry a fixed blade for an emergency/survival knife, but usually just use it to occasionally cut rope or something.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Benchmade steep country have not used it on any game but did skin 4 complete beef with it this last winter and it is still razor sharp. My only complaint about it is the handle is a little small for my hands

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62