Reccomend a roofer in the FM area

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's time for new shingles, and while I know how, I'd rather not.
A big roofing outfit stopped by while they were doing my neighbors house and gave me a quote. I'd like some additional opinions.
While their crew was fast, and appeared to do good work, let's just say English was not their first language. I'd rather give my money to a hard-working local if I can.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thorsteinson & sons

They did mine too. They eff'd up something and I had them back years later to fix it and they didn't bill me.

Scrutinize the soffit/fascia/gutter subcontractor if they hire one as part of a combo project. That part of the project bummed me out. The sub used thin surprisingly gauge aluminum - which I didn't realize until after they were done. Has bothered me since. I'd have gladly paid for thicker product.

- - - Updated - - -

[felt physically ill when I stepped on the big soft spot (rot) created by their mistake - ha ha]

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I worked for thorsteinson for a year. Good folks back then anyway. Hardest I’ve ever worked in my life lol.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mexicans do good quick work, and they are probably cheaper. Had a crew do ours a couple years back, the owner was a school teacher that works this type of stuff in the summer, but his crew was I am guessing legal Mexicans, and they had the entire project done in a day and a half. Our roof has a ton of odd ball structure and notches type of deal, looks perfect. However this is in Western ND. Just adding to the topic about the guys and them not being white.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have a recommendation fora roofer in the FM area, white or Mexican. My experience with Mexican workers, there are a lot of them in the US, and most who are working are probably either born in this country or are here legally. The ones you see crossing the border illegally are not interested in working a job like that. They will find it much easier to sell their drugs and other illegal activities than it is to roof.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know if they come to Fargo but Better Roofing and Contracting in Bismarck is who we had. Did excellent work and super fast. They have a few Mexicans on one of their crews and those guys knew what they were doing and worked like crazy in those hot and humid days. Don't think a white man would do what they did and not nearly as fast.
The owner was our next door neighbor when we lived in Bismarck.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had Northstar Roofing out of Enderlin some years back. They did it in a short day & half and the cleanup on the ground was excellent. I think they probably work the Fargo area.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first cousin, out in Hawley, MN does a lot of roofing in the area. Hardworking farm-guy. Raised farming and working cattle. He and his guys do a lot of work in the FM area.

I can find out more, if you like.

Jim Kemp

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87