Is our food source in jeopardy?

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I’m not sure what’s gonna happen or is happening but you go into Walmart in Mandan and the shelves are a lot emptier then I have ever seen them. There were always certain brands I would pick up, like butter or cheese and they are no longer always on the shelf like they used to be. Other more expensive brands will be there but this was never an issue before. And of course prices are higher. It’s definitely noticeable. With Covid no longer really an issue why is there shortages or supply chain issues? Look at the car lots. Crazy.

I always thought it was lovely how much we depend on our enemies necessities. It’s glorious. Thanks Joe!

Its because you were at a Walmart. (or really any big "discount" chain in ND for that matter)
I was in 4 different grocery stores in MT and ID over the weekend and I was shocked at how well stocked they all were. They varied from Mom and pop style to large chains) I was absolutely blown away by the Winco in Bozeman. I havent seen a store that well stocked in years. We in ND are just getting used to having shitty grocery stores, and blaming it all on "supply issues"

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I still see an occasional empty spot on the shelf for some odd commodity, by and large the stores around Bismarck have been well stocked ever since they figured out the TP shortage. Prices though are a different topic. It's getting kind of spendy to refill the cupboards at home.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No mustard at the walmart i went to this weekend not even one bottle, saltine crackers either. I asked the gentlemen if there was any in the back he said no, and being that the welfare benefits are coming on the first it tells you something.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other countries have said they will not export any grain. Going to keep it for themselves.
I'm sure the dumb fucks running this country will not do that as the think we need to feed the world. ;:;banghead

They will starve their own people so other countries don't go hungry

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
last i heard, grain in this country trades on the free market just like oil. no? tell farmer dan or oil woman jan they can't sell their product to the highest bidder (who just might be in another country) cause we gotta take care of our own first and see how they respond.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting construction materials(not menards garbage) is still a bitch parts and tires for semis are a pain in the ass. Oil pump is 60 days out at the earliest. Plenty of food here just costs a shit ton more. Think what feeding 30 kids at daycare runs a week and it will make you throw up in your mouth a little bit

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got back from the grocery store and noticed crystal sugar is almost a buck a pound. Yikes!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought coffee last friday. The Kcups about 1.5 months ago were 22.00 for 32 cups. Now there 33.00 for 32 cups. If everything went up 1/3 we would be in trouble.

I haven't had a raise since March and will not get one till next March. a 5 % raise does get close to keeping up with inflation. I filled both my pickup and boat on friday 228.00 and nothing was on empty

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No mustard at the walmart i went to this weekend not even one bottle, saltine crackers either. I asked the gentlemen if there was any in the back he said no, and being that the welfare benefits are coming on the first it tells you something.
\

Agreed lunk,been weeks since our grocery store in my small town had saltine crackers,(salt free don't count)

- - - Updated - - -

Getting construction materials(not menards garbage) is still a bitch parts and tires for semis are a pain in the ass. Oil pump is 60 days out at the earliest. Plenty of food here just costs a shit ton more. Think what feeding 30 kids at daycare runs a week and it will make you throw up in your mouth a little bit

Kurtr,"a little bit?" I'm thinking projectile vomit.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
last i heard, grain in this country trades on the free market just like oil. no? tell farmer dan or oil woman jan they can't sell their product to the highest bidder (who just might be in another country) cause we gotta take care of our own first and see how they respond.

It wasn't that long ago an export ban on crude oil

[h=2]U.S. Repeals Longstanding Ban on Export of Crude Oil[/h]

On December 18, 2015, the President signed into law the massive Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016, H. R. 2029, which previously passed both Houses of Congress with large bi-partisan majorities. An important part of this act is a provision that repeals the 1975 law that generally prohibited the export of crude oil produced in the United States

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wasn't that long ago an export ban on crude oil

[h=2]U.S. Repeals Longstanding Ban on Export of Crude Oil[/h]

On December 18, 2015, the President signed into law the massive Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016, H. R. 2029, which previously passed both Houses of Congress with large bi-partisan majorities. An important part of this act is a provision that repeals the 1975 law that generally prohibited the export of crude oil produced in the United States

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2022-06-19/oops-u-s-oil-and-gas-exports-fuel-domestic-price-rise/

Quite a few here thought that was a good idea when it happened. How do you like it now ?

https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/4582-Ban-lifted-on-US-oil-exports/page5?highlight=exports

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I still support the idea of capitalism in all but when the nation's security is at risk. You can't gore another's ox and think yours won't also be offered up as tribute to the masses when the time comes.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I still support the idea of capitalism in all but when the nation's security is at risk. You can't gore another's ox and think yours won't also be offered up as tribute to the masses when the time comes.

I'm with you for the most part but it might take a little persuasion to convince me that extraction is the same as production and manufacturing.

There has to be some control over extraction. Would you be ok if a world wide drilling firm wanted to drill multiple wells in the USA including the fox hills formation in ND and transport that water to Ethiopia and other countries that would buy potable water ?

Ok , We both know that it wouldn't happen with water because there is a method of control via extraction permits, which I surely hope you are ok with, but for comparison sake... The oil industry has never established any sort of control via drilling/extraction permits because for many years we had a ban on exporting oil except with two neighboring countries. We need some sort of control over extraction or we need to be happy with others to come and legally steal us blind.

We have foolishly set ourselves up for $ 7.00 for a gallon of gas for the rest of my life and I'm not liking that one bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Heidi and Obama.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be the first to state that I would NOT be OK with Sinopec or Rosneft or Gazprom being allowed to explore for natural resources in the U.S. I think that's quite different than either U.S. owned independents, or large publicly held firms exploring for oil and gas in this country.

Note, Sinopec, Rosneft and Gazprom are all owned by the Chinese and Russian governments, respectively. The same is not true of BP, Shell, or many of the other international companies that explore for oil and gas worldwide.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. What I have always said, and continue to believe, is that we could have done a much better job of permitting during the booms to moderate the boom and bust cycles. There was no reason we needed to drill 2,000 oil wells a year in ND back in the beginning of the last boom. That was insane and came at great cost to the people of ND.

Last edited:

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen, I believe this to be spot on. I was in the electrical delivery work when this shit storm hit us. It totally blew our small coop out of the water. Worst thing to ever hit us. We didn't have the work force or means to manage any of it. Completely unmanageable. We could have managed it better if it was slowed down a bit. Oil companies at that time were very, very hard to deal with. They have people who work 24/7 and didn't give 2 shits about people who had what they needed and wanted.

p.s. What I have always said, and continue to believe, is that we could have done a much better job of permitting during the booms to moderate the boom and bust cycles. There was no reason we needed to drill 2,000 oil wells a year in ND back in the beginning of the last boom. That was insane and came at great cost to the people of ND.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Inventory is growing faster then sales ask target they know ----- It will happen with vehicles boats , new homes, were just a few chips away from a beautiful day its already pointing that way. Some hickups exist yes - but it will happen and the result: reccession will last longer.

I cant point towards one thing like gas --- because the the price increases is on every damn thing. The one that effects us all housing, gas and food. the basics. The decease in fuel tax = printing more money.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BOT.... since this topic was brought up once again,certain groups are down playing the conspiriracy aspect.

Quote:

WCNC linked to further reports on several of the 2022 incidents, noting most were accidental or did not have any indication of foul play (here).
Likewise, Reuters did not find any evidence that the 2022 incidents were intentional or planned for the sake of creating food shortages, and fires at food processing plants are not uncommon. Past examples can be seen

Hmmmm,I call BS,the two plane crashes alone is a red flag,how is that possible?

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be the first to state that I would NOT be OK with Sinopec or Rosneft or Gazprom being allowed to explore for natural resources in the U.S. I think that's quite different than either U.S. owned independents, or large publicly held firms exploring for oil and gas in this country.

Note, Sinopec, Rosneft and Gazprom are all owned by the Chinese and Russian governments, respectively. The same is not true of BP, Shell, or many of the other international companies that explore for oil and gas worldwide.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree

Our mayor at that time was going bonkers with the "this one is going to be a 20+ year boom, nothing will stop it". They let all sorts of hoopla go on at the expense of our little town. Lots of empty buildings, hotels, now 10 years later here we sit holding the bag.
School system purchased an abandon oil field building to put a hi-tech auto/wood/skills dept. in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75