Fishing Sheyenne river new vegetation

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iv'e never been a river fisherman so I have a question. Has anyone had luck fishing flooded areas when the Sheyenne is out side of the banks ?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely!! Find any culvert that's within 100 yards of the main river that has some current. Not rushing water, but good current. Use white paddletails, twisters, or a jig and minnow. The walleyes and pike will stack up in that slower moving water on either side of the culvert currents away from the main, usually center, flow. The deeper the ditch the better. The walleyes seem to treat these as streams to spawn in as the water coming into the river is a bit warmer than the main river. Much like Channel A on Devils Lake. Sometimes you can't even fish as there will be so many rough fish in those spots too that snagging them is almost an every cast thing. Either way it's always fun to get out and get dirty. Good Luck!!

I should add that if the fish are there, you will know within 15 minutes. This is a numbers game. Roll from culvert to culvert until you find fish or run out of patience, gas, or both. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM , I've watched your muddin moment videos a couple of times and you did an awesome job of explaining the dynamics of current and walleyes . Thank you for that awesome video, I learned a lot from it. I was thinking about the calm water up and away from the current since there will be half a dozen rambunctious grand kids that will want to tag along. I had planned on heading down today but changed plans till after the rainy weekend , I'll have my boy help them get set up and try the calm water . They have a nice spot along the Cheyenne but dangerous steep banks for kids when the water is normal. They would be tickled to catch anything , even one or two sticklebacks in a minnow trap would excite them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That being the case, I'd gob some worms on a hook with a float to keep it just off the bottom and find a 2-3 ft flat. Preferably a mowed lawn type situation. Lob the worms out there and wait. The larger the flat the better as the edges will tend to be warmer. Don't cast out to the middle. Just 10-15 ft off the bank will do. The catfish and other fish will work that warmer water next to the edge looking for worms that have just recently come out due to being flooded. Shallow water means safer for the youngsters too. It can be dynamite on ole whisker fish. Good Luck!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM that gets me excited. They have a perfect area for that, I'll have my boy help get them set up tonight.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one of the reasons this site is great! Awesome stuff

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anyone who hasn't watched KDM - Muddin' Minute videos here's a sample, one of many. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from watching these. Thanks again for sharing KDM

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75