been 3 years

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been three years since we left for northern Canada to shed hunt due to virus. Last time up there the boys left about a dozen trail cameras on trees. Large fire up there two years ago so will be interesting to see if those cameras survive. Also been told the deer all left so will find out.
Five of us going this year so will take two vehicles. Son and I loaded our 4x4 and in morning with balance of stuff. Off we go. Hope to get through the border with no problems and then to spot.
Weather up there is better than here with temps in the high 50 and 60. Snow if mostly gone up there. Have a canvas tent this year with wood stove.

Last weekend boys went to mule deer country across the border and with the help of the locals found a few sheds. Over 300 with about 12 elk, one moose paddle, a few whitetails and 90% mule deer. One nice match set of five-point whitetail about 150. One mule deer shed that would score in 190+ on the hoof. But mule deer are not as nice as whitetail and hope to find a bunch of whitetails. Canadian were eager to help out. No chews on these but will find big chew on up north.
Will send pictures when done. thanks. db

Attachments

DSC00171.jpg DSC00173.jpg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, they are now bringing bigger dollars but hard to sell what one finds walking. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got home late last night. A lot of snow, side by side went right thru but quads had problems.

A lot of damage from fire, miles and miles of just burn sticks. Pockets of green where we found horns.
Found not the biggest but the nicest match set five point for me. About mid 140 class. In the past have found a few 80 and some more 70 class horns but this year biggest was in high 60.

Tent and wood stove work great but it was warm heating up to 70 in the day. Rain last day there.
Son and i came home but other three are staying until Monday and are looking on farm land next to forest. Went to vet to clear horns but she was no longer so will clear with vet at port when they come home.
Will get a picture of horns then.

Going up agent looked at passbook, ask where we were going and why. Five minutes and on our way. Back home 45 minutes at US port for the two of us to cross.
A few years ago, US agent ask me what we did. I said shed hunt. He asked what that was. Said it was stupid and dumb. I responded.
Now my son will not let me go into the office with him and i have to sit outside.
Only one camera survive. Put up in 2019 and only picture on that one was in August of 2020. We assume someone found. Wolves and some nice bucks on it.

Sheds sell for 13 dollars per pound and elk at 17 per pound. PU had 400 lbs so you do the numbers. We do not sell.
A few years back put up a pagan god horn shrine. Add to it each year. Say a blessing with each additional horn.

Enjoy and next year should be better. db

Attachments

DSC00174.jpg DSC00175.jpg DSC00176.jpg DSC00180.jpg DSC00182.jpg DSC00183.jpg DSC00185.jpg DSC00187.jpg DSC00192.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Happy to read you made it up and back safely DB.
Hope you had a good trip and thanks for the write-up and pics.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice, glad you had a good time !

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like a good time. I am wondering why there isn't at least one picture with an empty Ol Mill laying somewhere. Don't see that happening except maybe it's because you keep a nice clean camp. :;:cheers

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Clean camp, picture one first day, maybe.

When i got home asked wife what bidden is doing, been a week with no news. She said turn on Fox news. Lasted 15 minutes and found a cowboy show to watch. We got some really screw up people living here that the news loves to post. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77