Interference on Side Imaging

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screenshot_20220502-210220_Gallery.jpg

Looking for ideas to track down this interference issue. Side imaging gets a washout effect when trolling motor prop is on. The photo shows a darker band which is the short interval I turned off the prop on the trolling motor to take the photo.

It is definitely electrical interference as evidenced by the immediate change when turning thrust on or off. There is no difference whether trolling motor speed is 1 or 10. It has nothing to do with the prop turning in the water as it does the same thing with the prop out of the water.

Minn-kota terrova 36v with 3 dedicated trolling batteries. Cranking/house battery powers everything else. The only physical connection between the trolling batteries and the house battery is the 4 bank pro mariner onboard charger. As those circuits are isolated, I wouldn't expect that to be the issue but I haven't tried disconnecting the charger leads.

The minnkota has US2, which I unplugged from the graph to confirm that connection was not the culprit.

The trolling motor power wires do not run anywhere near the transducer cable.

I am struggling to think of what else I can check. Any ideas or similar experience? Thanks.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does your terrova have a heading sensor puck? If so do they connect via bluetooth and a nema cord for power? I am just totally flock shooting here, as it seems you have most of the other stuff covered.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's a good thought, but I do not have a heading sensor puck. The nmea network seemed like a possible source but the minnkota is not connected to it. Thanks for the response.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Google interference fuse in your minnkota head, worth a shot if you haven't found something else and if you charge with your trolling motor plugged in

- - - Updated - - -

Troubleshooting Interference – Minn Kota (johnsonoutdoors.com)

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=&quot]All 2013 and newer Minn Kota 24 & 36 volt freshwater trolling motors will include a factory installed fused ground wire. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note: If this fuse is blown, a circuit loop is being completed through the ground wire. This indicates that an improper power connection is being made to either the motor or depth finder. This improper connection must be located and corrected to prevent a circuit loop and further interference issues.

Step 4. Check wiring - Make sure the deep cycle/trolling motor batteries are not linked to the Cranking Battery. Disconnect chargers, Perko switches, and anything else that may link the two sets of batteries. Try to keep the depth finder power cable away from the trolling motor power cable when rigging. It is also recommended that the excess length of power and transducer cables not be coiled. If you find that interference is still present then you might try using a separate small 12 volt battery to power the depth finder and retest.[/FONT]

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, Welcome to the club! I've been battling interference since I installed a new ulterra in 2020. I've tried ferrite rings, static shielding on the power cables, replaced the fuse inside the head multiple times, but didn't get rid of it until I unplugged my us2 cable from the bow graph. That seems to be the trick at this point. If you're in a ranger, you will have to remove the jump start cable that connects your cranking battery to one of your trolling batteries. As soon as mine was hooked up, it popped that head fuse. Now I carry a jump pack. I've about had it with the interference issues.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If in Bismarck go see or call Minnkota rep he is good A.G. Repair and Sales

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks all for the ideas.

I just had the minnkota tore apart to replace the steering motor end of last season and the ground fuse was good but will check again.

I do not have a jump cable between cranking and troll battery. I carry a set of 20' jumper cables (long enough to reach into another boat) and invested in a jump pack this winter.

A.G. Repair is awesome and I also highly recommend. If I can't track this down I'll go talk to him but he won't look at anything attached to a boat and I don't have a quick detach so that's a last resort.

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79