SD Nonresident Fishing License ...WOW$$

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how you would enforce/collect fees. If you had to pay someone to collect ramp fees I wouldn't think the fees would pay for all the ramp "police."

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
A stamp on your windshield to use publicly funded ramps doesn't seem overly complicated

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get out to the coasts, pay for use ramps exist, everywhere. And the parking sucks!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
A stamp on your windshield to use publicly funded ramps doesn't seem overly complicated

Who enforces/makes sure you have a stamp - again ramp police. They're lots of public ramps on many lakes under different jurisdictions - who sells the windsheild stamps and who issues the tickets, collects the fines and distributes the money? I think you are just considering the ramps on Sak and DL. Much more than that.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably is the stupidest idea I could come up with. The only thing free in this world is air, so breath as much as you want. My stupid opinion is that if you can afford a boat, you should be able to afford to pay a minimal fee to ensure we have functional ramps with functional cleaning stations. Just my stupid opinion cause I’m so stupid.

Isnt that what our license and fees and spending on outdoors is already suppose to cover? I think the money should be better spent on MAKING more boat ramps etc. In my area several of the smaller lakes have poor access. So a farmer often makes his own ramp out of part of their pasture then charges $10 to use it. I don't have an issue with that but with our fees I would think gfp could purchase a piece or find an area and make a public ramp.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't know if I like the window stamp idea, much like the State Park pass. They only give you one pass, but I have two vehicles capable of towing the boat. I have to imagine quite a few others also have multiple vehicles capable of towing.

Years ago, there was a deposit box at the New Town Marina for ramp use. Yeah, it was pretty much voluntary as far as I could tell because it wasn't like there was any way to know if the vehicles at the ramp had paid or not. Basically, I suspect that unless it's gated with an attendant, there are far too many schmucks that think "why would I have to pay for using this ramp since that's what my fishing license fees should go to". And then they complain there aren't enough ramps for their own favorite little lake.

We should also remember that many of the ramps across the state, while mostly paid for by NDGF monies, also need some form of maintenance. In that sense the NDGF often partners up with some local entity (county park board, local wildlife chapter, etc, etc). So you can probably up the chances of getting a ramp on your favorite body of water by talking to the local park boards, etc.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard SD is now going to start charging you for just looking at the water.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thinks it’s pretty amazing we are offering to pay state and government entities more money above what we are already being over taxed for. Seriously how much dumber can we be.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the G&F should charge us to use the lakes. I mean who are we to using a natural resource. Wake up idiots we are the ones that paying for the boat ramps and their maintenance now.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thinks it’s pretty amazing we are offering to pay state and government entities more money above what we are already being over taxed for. Seriously how much dumber can we be.

^^^^THIS^^^^ X 100 SD has a $25 Habitat Fee for all annual licenses now. I wonder whose grubby little dick beaters gets that money.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Isnt that what our license and fees and spending on outdoors is already suppose to cover? I think the money should be better spent on MAKING more boat ramps etc. In my area several of the smaller lakes have poor access. So a farmer often makes his own ramp out of part of their pasture then charges $10 to use it. I don't have an issue with that but with our fees I would think gfp could purchase a piece or find an area and make a public ramp.

I worked as a seasonal employee in the fisheries development section 15 years ago. There are two guys in the division and they get one seasonal employee that can't work more than 40 hours/week. Back then, we built a few smaller ramps, but we spent most of the summer on DL building high water ramps. We were extremely limited because of the 40 hours limit on the seasonal employee - we worked long days and would need to be back in Bismarck by Wednesday afternoon so I wouldn't exceed my 40 hours. I've worked with the two guys that are full time in that section (Wes and Kyle) and they simply get shit done. I know they added a 3rd full time position this spring, but I would imagine that section will likely be spending the majority of their time on low water ramps within the Missouri system this year. Everyone in the fisheries section at the Game and Fish would love more access on those lakes but it's out of their control; talk to your legislature!

I don't love more taxes/fess, but I can recognize things need to get paid for. I also think ALL users should pay and not just sportsmen (I'm pro backpack tax instead of just hunters paying for everything). If funds were needed for fishing/boating access, I would rather see an additional $20 ramp development/maintenance fee or something during registration or an annual sticker for all water craft that goes next to boat lic #.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is how it works at state parks in WY. Pay an annual pass or pay for a daily pass in a drop box. Don’t get caught without a pass!

- - - Updated - - -

Who enforces/makes sure you have a stamp - again ramp police. They're lots of public ramps on many lakes under different jurisdictions - who sells the windsheild stamps and who issues the tickets, collects the fines and distributes the money? I think you are just considering the ramps on Sak and DL. Much more than that.
Local gas stations and bait shops could sell the passes. Enforcement would be tough if there isn’t a park Ranger or management to do it.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worked as a seasonal employee in the fisheries development section 15 years ago. There are two guys in the division and they get one seasonal employee that can't work more than 40 hours/week. Back then, we built a few smaller ramps, but we spent most of the summer on DL building high water ramps. We were extremely limited because of the 40 hours limit on the seasonal employee - we worked long days and would need to be back in Bismarck by Wednesday afternoon so I wouldn't exceed my 40 hours. I've worked with the two guys that are full time in that section (Wes and Kyle) and they simply get shit done. I know they added a 3rd full time position this spring, but I would imagine that section will likely be spending the majority of their time on low water ramps within the Missouri system this year. Everyone in the fisheries section at the Game and Fish would love more access on those lakes but it's out of their control; talk to your legislature!

I don't love more taxes/fess, but I can recognize things need to get paid for. I also think ALL users should pay and not just sportsmen (I'm pro backpack tax instead of just hunters paying for everything). If funds were needed for fishing/boating access, I would rather see an additional $20 ramp development/maintenance fee or something during registration or an annual sticker for all water craft that goes next to boat lic #.

I assume you're speaking ND? I'm in SD. However I suspect not much different. The issue is more how monies are allocated. It's that simple. The fund balance of gfp is doing just fine. I think I read that SD takes in around 1.5 billion annually. Where/how are they allocating it after bills? To buy a 1 acre piece of scrub land and push a little dirt around and put in a public dock?? Don't think that is too costly. Maybe i'm wrong? I guess I'm just speaking my opinion however. I don't like having to pay to use a dock when I spent a ton of money each year on fees already.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish someone would delete this entire post so that no existing or aspiring politician reads it and gets any ideas about how to raise more tax revenue.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I assume you're speaking ND? I'm in SD. However I suspect not much different. The issue is more how monies are allocated. It's that simple. The fund balance of gfp is doing just fine. I think I read that SD takes in around 1.5 billion annually. Where/how are they allocating it after bills? To buy a 1 acre piece of scrub land and push a little dirt around and put in a public dock?? Don't think that is too costly. Maybe i'm wrong? I guess I'm just speaking my opinion however. I don't like having to pay to use a dock when I spent a ton of money each year on fees already.

We just fixed the low water ramp at the state park and to do things right it costs alot more than people think. Try building something that is solid enough for lots of heavy boats and truck traffic on shitty ground is fun.

- - - Updated - - -

didn't everyone blow a fuse when the bay was charging ramp fees in mobridge?

No thats when they shut it down for ice fishing. All you have to do is buy something at the bay and they let you use it or 5 bucks i think

- - - Updated - - -

on top of it all if any one is really concerned with what it costs to hunt and fish its cheaper just to go buy it at the store

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read on the boat ramp part. In SD, basically all the ramps I use are part of state parks or lakeside use areas, both of which require a state park entrance fee or yearly pass. I get one for both my truck and the wife's vehicle. I've never even thought of the fact that when I fish Sak, I don't need that. Heck I can't even remember the fee for camping in a state park or entrance up there? Regardless, it's an afterthought for me. People may complain in other areas of SD, but I will say on the west side and Missouri River corridor we have phenomenal ramps and some of the nicest campgrounds you will find. If that is what my $25 park entrance fee pays, for, I'll pay it all day long.

Now the Habitat Stamp is another story, with the ending TBD. That is A LOT of money to be pulling in and there damn better well be results from it. The state has sold it's soul to commercialized pheasant hunting and this is supposed to be the habitat save to keep the average joe hunting.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, and another jab at out of states....SD state park campgrounds are now charging an extra Fee for camping. I made a 2 night reservation for this weekend and there was a $7.50 out of state fee attached to it. Not sure if its per day or flat fee. I'll have to check my other receipts I have.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, and another jab at out of states....SD state park campgrounds are now charging an extra Fee for camping. I made a 2 night reservation for this weekend and there was a $7.50 out of state fee attached to it. Not sure if its per day or flat fee. I'll have to check my other receipts I have.

There were a few things floating around the legislature on this during the last session. Demand, particularly since COVID, has far outpaced supply of campsites with lots of folks angry that sites aren't more easily reserved. I think they shot down a two week advantage for residents during the session. It's a tricky deal all based on location. Custer State Park gets a ton of NR visitors. Those close to the border, like Indian Creek, also get a fair amount of NR campers. But, in your case, you are closer to Mobridge than where I come from, so should a state line matter? Shadehill is nearly a ND state campground most weekends! Regardless its an appeasement to residents, which in the end I understand.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, that whole charging of out of staters more on camping has been around for many years in other states. Back in 2002 the dump known as Wisconsin had an out-of-state surcharge for North Dakotan's camping in their state parks. When I saw that I was literally dumbstruck that any state would do that. Then I remembered where I was...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74