Who's Ever Doing The Rain Dance.....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure love the green plush grass that all this rain produces!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hold on to your hats gents, there's a distinctly non-zero chance of severe thunderstorms today. And that chance increases as you go east across the state.

And those severe thunderstorms may include a tornado or three.

kdm is spot on with the planting prognosis. I've been saying it for a few weeks already but I expect there to be fair number of acres that don't get planted this year. Well, at least not to what the farmer originally wanted to put in. And that sucks because there's an abundance of soil moisture and crops that get in should do well.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think all this rain now is just all our prayers from last year finally being answered all at once. Must be a supply chain issue and the rain finally got here, I blame Biden.

As to crops not getting planted and prevent plant, It does suck for guys that strictly grain farm. Every day they have to wait to plant is a potential loss of yield. If the prices stay high and they prevent plant, sure they'll get an insurance check but they'll be potentially losing money if the markets stay high till fall and they'd have gotten an average yield they'll actually lose money by PP. But they'll also save inputs, time, and wear and tear on themselves and machinery so it might be a wash. I doubt any of them will be hurt or go bankrupt because of it.

Now they've changed the rules permanently on planting cover crops on PP ground and now can hay or graze those cover crops at anytime. So a guy with cattle can get a nice check, plant a cover crop and hay it or graze it later. Grain farmer with no cattle could do the same by either haying it and selling the bales, or let someone else graze it or hay it for payment. Nice way to double dip. I'll have some low spots to go around but doubt my blow sand will have any PP on it. I didn't even know what Prevent Plant was till 2011. That was a year where water was sitting on fields where no one had seen water sit before.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
With all the rain we have been getting, why do you suppose the Missouri River levels are still very low? Has it just been soaking into the ground? Catching up from last year? Letting out a lot a Pierre?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the rain we have been getting, why do you suppose the Missouri River levels are still very low? Has it just been soaking into the ground? Catching up from last year? Letting out a lot a Pierre?

By and large, yes it is soaking into the ground. This time of year only the heaviest thunderstorms produce much runoff. While we've seen thunderstorms capable of producing good runoff, they have mostly hit the part of the state from roughly Emmons county and all points east. Once you get east of Jamestown, all the runoff from their heavy rains is in Hudson's Bay drainage. Out here in the west and central part of the state, we haven't seen nearly as strong of runoff, especially upstream of Garrison dam.

Check out this map of soil moisture values as percentiles:
https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-b...itialize=first&regex=vsm0-100percent_20220512

As a state, we haven't been this wet in a pretty long time!

This is the homepage for maps like the above with quite a few different ways to look at it.

Real-time 3km Land Information System over CONUS (nasa.gov)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes, a lot of moisture to soak in to a dry earth is one reason. Another is there are a lot of dry dams to fill up. And the main reason you will see very little effect with all the rain is that they keep letting it out- at Pierre. Until they slow down releases, it won't matter much. I always say it not how much rain we get, but how much rain the downstream states get. When they start flooding they'll stem the flows.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Yes, a lot of moisture to soak in to a dry earth is one reason. Another is there are a lot of dry dams to fill up. And the main reason you will see very little effect with all the rain is that they keep letting it out- at Pierre. Until they slow down releases, it won't matter much. I always say it not how much rain we get, but how much rain the downstream states get. When they start flooding they'll stem the flows.

Is this more so related to SD and NE, or will the large amount of flow from the Mississippi affect the dam releases in SD? Being that it meets up with the Missouri river in St Louis?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually its Missouri and south. If those states are flooding, then they hold back the water. But if they want or think they need more to float those barges, they get it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The next big one is about 5 miles south and closing fast. LB

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20220512-205622_Twitter.jpg

Sioux Falls today

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bismarck is finally getting measurable rain. I was all smiles driving to work this morning. The bubble is true as most systems pass by and adjust to the east. The western half are still on the dry side for subsoil moisure.

Not sure what part of Bismarck you live in, but at my house we’ve gotten more rain this year than it seems we’ve gotten in the past two years combined (I know that’s not true…just seems like it). My yard is already lush and green and so are all the yards around me. 18 inches of snow melting into the ground helped also of course but I like the pattern we are in.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fort KDM has had 6.5 inches of rain so far and that's on top of snow melt. NOT FUN!!! I have 6 pumps going right now. If the power goes out, I'm blued, screwed, and tattooed. Boy could I use about a month of dry. All you guys out there that need water, just bring some buckets to my place and I'll fill'em up toot sweet and you can be on your way. I'm in a water giving mood today. That's how I roll. Take care fellas, gotta do the pump shuffle, skip, bob, and weave. WooHoo!!!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my waters going down a little but still boating. not easy keeping a boat tied up on road in 45 mph winds, bailed the water out this morning and wind just about flipped it.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, someone needs to shut the water off for about 6 weeks.

Lets get some crop in the ground, only got about 5 weeks left to get it done.

If crops don't get planted groceries are just going to get higher.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vc got hit hard with rain again. Claussen spring dam in troublr. LRC is spot on

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Authorities originally thought the dam was breached based off high water flow in the area, however water levels have gone down and officials now say there is no imminent threat to people in the area.[/FONT]

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75