Timber wolf found~

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
You see fricken coyotes walking the streets all the time down in the Phoenix area. They will jump a 5 foot fence to grab a cat or little dog and hop the fence again with the prize in its mouth. They have them on the news every once in a while jumping fences to grab the animal, get the footage from security cameras.
We have them here in Payson too but they aren't quite as tame as down in the Valley.
Coyotes will often send in a female in heat to chase her while the Pack waits for the meal to arrive.
They are some very smart animals and often won't make the same mistake twice.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed BBJ,

take a shot at a yote coming to a call and miss,yote won't make that mistake again.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yotes are 5mph faster.

Quit wolf huggin ----its a sport its just a different kind of sport. To bad it isnt allowed in more states.

a pack of wolves would kill a pack of short hairs before they new what hit them. It’s not like the open prairie where coyotes live. But go get at it in Idaho ain’t no one going to say a thing. I can get you right where a pack was spotted last week.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a pack of wolves would kill a pack of short hairs before they new what hit them. It’s not like the open prairie where coyotes live. But go get at it in Idaho ain’t no one going to say a thing. I can get you right where a pack was spotted last week.

Lab-- little water dog breeded with newfoundlunds

GSP--- mixed hound, greyhound, english pntr.......... list goes on = shorthairs do it all -- iditarods, deer, birds, yotes and slow wolf.

Them sconnys didnt hunt labs. sorry.

Sconnyville is over --- they ended it in 2022. so no more states allow it.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lab-- little water dog breeded with newfoundlunds

GSP--- mixed hound, greyhound, english pntr.......... list goes on = shorthairs do it all -- iditarods, deer, birds, yotes and slow wolf.

Them sconnys didnt hunt labs. sorry.

Sconnyville is over --- they ended it in 2022. so no more states allow it.

yep you keep talking with no action. Dogs are legal to use in Idaho but I have yet to see a guy with a pack of gsp doing it wonder why. Just be a member of Foundation for wildlife management and they will pay you 2 grand for every wolf you kill. Also I never said labs hunt wolves I’m not a fucking retard. So when you leaving or just a bunch of talk again like all the other times.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When dad would take me hunting all over, we did run into them a time or too. Hate them bastard. Best place we had for Elk was just outside West Yellowstone and saw many of them we had horse's , so they knew something was not right. I will say they are big as hell up close. All I got to say. They have destroyed many deer and elk herds, kill all of them I could care less. Was able to get a tag a few years have a classmate has a ranch by Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana, few less now. I thought it would be cool to do life size mount but did not figure I would have to look at the piece of shit, only want mounts I cared about. Not that hard to hunt actually.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When i was young, many years ago the neighbor kid told me about his uncle from a time in the twenties.

Back in the fifties some guys had a couple of snow planes. They also had dogs they said were call wolf hounds. Looked like a gray hound and they used them to chase rabbits and fox.

Back to this guy's uncle.
Neighbor said they were out hunting with the hounds when they came on a pack of wolves. Not sure if there were wolves in ND back then but my dad who was born in 1911 said there were but not common and did tell me some stories about them in his younger days while running a trap line. Anyways, these wolf hounds went after the wolves. Did not fare well for the wolf hounds as he did lose some and some were beaten up bad.

So that's my story of wolves in ND.

They are common where we shed hunt in northern Canada. Not seen a live one but a few dead ones and a lot of footprints. Hear them at night and they seem close by. I do feel one day they were stalking the four of us in the woods and based on the noise they did get close to us, but we came up on the quads and they left. I told this before but right before we got to the quads one let out a scream that made one shiver. It just echo through the woods with that scream. Very loud. It was unbelievable. db-2

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here in northern minnsewta some packs have become comforable interacting with humanoids...This pic,a snow machine trail across a northern minn lake,as this pic was taken a lone wolf flanked the sled,came in down wind side to get a better sniff,these critters were fiesting on daily lunch scrapes from riders,they would appear at the sound of these machines as they entered the lake,kodiak bears on kodiak island are said to do the same although I never been on kodiak island when I lived up there friends that hunted black tail deer on the island claimed they would have 15-20 minutes to pack out the deer after the shot before the bear would come to feed,unnerving deal.

wolf-fb.jpg

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Agreed,very inteligent critters,I've sat up in a tree stand deer hunting over looking a northern mn tamerack swamp watching a wolf drive,pushing deer from the swamp,couple biggins (wolves) came thundering right under my tree stand as I was setup over looking a game trail.needless to say not many deer in this local today,these wolves take a toll,locals practice the SSS routine but doing so bring's usfw personel to the area pronto as most of these packs are callard or chipped,this area brought in trappers from the US Agriculture agency to thin the pack feeding on local cattle

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read there are eastern timber wolves that are smaller than Grey wolves. The old timers claimed a MN timber wolf was a coyote , Not sure what MN has but I saw a pair of Grey wolves and one pup about 20 years ago. I watched them for a good 20 minutes and one thing I learned is that If you ever see a mature male Gray wolf you won't be asking yourself is that's a coyote or a wolf. They are huge , I first saw the male trotting across the hayfield and thought it was a deer but it was so dark colored. Then I saw the female and the pup about a 1/4 mile behind him and she was a lot smaller and lighter color so I suppose she probably could have passed for a big coyote if she had been alone . The male though was HUGE , He stopped and sat down at the edge of the hay field and turned his head looking back and waited for the female and pup. I was looking at him with binos at 150-200 yards and I'm not kidding , He looked just like a bear . The head and neck was huge. This was in late June I suppose because it was haying season and they had been traveling all night because the pup was tuckered out and moving real slow and could barely make it over the swaths then he would stop and sit down and the female would snap at him to make him get up and go some more.

- - - Updated - - -

Fast forward 10 years, We heard one howl a few times. It gets real quiet in the boondocks so late night/ early morning you can hear dogs barking and coyotes howling cows ballering for miles in all directions. Fun to sit outside and listen to them and try guess what neighbor they are coming from. The first time I heard the wolf the dogs and yotes were really barking/howling and out of the darkness came the wolf howl , so loud and long , just one time and then complete silence. you could hear a pin drop for the rest of the time I stayed to listen. Pretty much the same scenario a couple more times that year but haven't heard him for a 10 years or more now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coyotes were rare when I was a kid , first one I saw was in early 70s when they organized the big deer drives. A guy on post shot it and it was the first one he ever seen too (college age) , the old timers liked to tease so one told him he shot someone's dog and the poor guy went from full of prideful to rock bottom. That little fib was good for a few laughs at the hunting party poker games

The old neighbors around here used to talk about wolves a lot, it was fresh in thier memory. Those were sheep days, The first generation cleaned them out with M44s and raised thier kids to shoot any predator that moves. I found this article from Williston and thought it was interesting.

https://www.willistonherald.com/community/remembering-when-buffalo-wolves-roamed-north-dakota/article_e080672a-b1a0-11eb-a45a-6bf01730b500.html/?utm_medium=internal&utm_source=readerShare&utm_campaign=bButton

Bad link

Rueben Humes was a young Dickinson sheepherder. One day in 1900, Rueben went hunting for prairie chickens near the Heart River. His shotgun kept misfiring, but he finally shot a chicken, which dropped onto the opposite riverbank. As he forded the river to get it, he saw something.

“It looked like a big black sheep,” he said. “It was gray and had a huge mane of hair. I was so surprised I just stopped and looked ... it was the largest wolf I had ever seen.” Rueben fired, but his gun misfired, and the wolf took off. Back at camp, the men told Rueben he had seen a buffalo wolf, which is a sub-species of the gray wolf.

Lewis and Clark discovered the buffalo wolf, canis lupus nubilus, in 1804. Lewis wrote, “We scarely see a gang of buffaloe without observing a psrsel of those faithfull shepherds on their skirts in readiness to take care of the maimed wounded. The large wolf never barks, but howls as those of the atlantic states do.”

At first, the Corps of Discovery had lumped the wild canines into two groups: coyotes were referred to as “prairie wolves,” and gray wolves were called “large wolves.” When they discovered the buffalo wolf subspecies, Lewis made detailed observations of how a pack would isolate an antelope from the herd so they could chase it down. He wrote they “... are very numerous, they are of a light colr. & has long hair with Coarse fur.”

During the journey, brothers Rueben and Joseph Field caught a wolf pup, which they wanted to turn into a pet. They tied it up, but it quickly gnawed its way free and ran back into the wild.

In fall 1843, artist John James Audubon painted both coyotes and wolves while near Fort Union. Referring to the coyote, he wrote, “The Prairie Wolf hunts in packs, but is also often seen prowling singly over the plains in search of food. During one of our morning rambles near Fort Union, we happened to start one of these wolves suddenly. It made off at a very swift pace and we fired at it without any effect, our guns being loaded with small shot at the time; after running about one hundred yards it suddenly stopped and shook itself violently, by which we perceived that it had been touched; in a few moments it again started and soon disappeared beyond a high range of hills, galloping along like a hare or an antelope.”

He also wrote about the White American Wolf, or canis lupus. “The White Wolf is far the most common variety of the Wolf tribe to be met with around Fort Union, on the prairies, and on the plains bordering the Yellow Stone river. When we first reached Fort Union we found Wolves in great abundance, of several different colours, white, grey, and brindled.”

Audubon also wrote, “The common wolf is not unfrequently met with in company with the Prairie wolf. On the afternoon of the 13th of July, as Mr. Bell and ourselves were returning to Fort Union, we counted eighteen wolves in one gang, which and been satiating themselves on the carcass of a Buffalo on the river's bank, and were returning to the hills to spend the night. Some of them had their stomachs distended with food and appeared rather lazy.”

By 1926, buffalo wolves were extinct, as were all wolf species within the state. Recent studies, however, indicate there may still be buffalo wolves in northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Wolves may also be re-colonizing some of their former habitat here in North Dakota.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good read Davy,thanx for posting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105