Timber wolf found~

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
a snack,trail cam pic from wisc shows this wolf high stepping away with a black bear cub. timber 1.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Don’t think that’s a baby bear. That’s one of KDM’s sinking chickens.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ohhhh the trigger finger itches.

A couple years ago a friend and I went to Montana in the slight chance we may find and tag a wolf. We didn't time things well and as we watched one mountain after another disappear in the advancing storm we broke camp at 6:00pm and drove all night back to Jamestown.
We did have some fun. A week before there was a grizzly attack in Tom Miner basin and the bear wasn't destroyed because the person was not killed and the bear was surprised on its kill. As we drove by about six cars were watching the bear still feeding on its grade A Angus. We stopped and watched. One fellow, perhaps a California transplant in Paradise Valley less than ten miles away, rolled down his window to talk. He asked "you guys elk hunting" no were looking for wolves. "OH you guys photographing wolves"? Nope I'm going to kill them. ;) The guy said " I'm not even going to talk to you" and got so flustered he couldn't figure out how to roll up his window for a bit. As we watched the bear he woukd stare at us and his head woukd jerk around as if he was going epilectic or something. I was waiting for him to roll down his window again in the hopes I could ask if he was a rancher just to upset him more.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PG,

Good story,it's always fun jerking tree hugger's chains...lol

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Push them there buttons is so much fun, Get them running around in tight circles kicking at rocks is right up there at the top of my enjoyment list. LB

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
no loss on that bear cub. Give me a couple 5 fresh shorthairs and i will show you how you get that wolve and his pack ready for a shot.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You laugh, but there are people who actually do use GSPs as bait for wolves and coyotes. The dogs are simply trained(?) to seek you out at full throttle once the wild canine gives chase. So you just have to sit and wait for them. Never done it, because my dog would just get his ass kicked (he's much more gentle than most GSPs). Nonetheless, I've seen enough videos of people doing it over the years to know it's possible.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There was a yote hunter by Mcleod that used GSP's to do just that. They would piss off the yote's and then run back to papa who was waiting with the fire power. LB

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my ass chewed my first year working in alaska by a ak trooper (also a c/o) for hiking fishing a river during a salmon run with my dog...never gave it thought until I stumbled across this trooper back in the bush country,he said while your focusing on fishing your dog is up river being a dog,snooping around,next thing ya know he bumps a grizz also fishing,guess what happens next,bear chasses your dog,your dog run's back to you,now you have a problem.

friends retired in AZ winter months tell me they watch yotes near these newer neighhoods bait un fenced pups to chase after one decoy yote while the pack waits in ambush outof sight

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
friends retired in AZ winter months tell me they watch yotes near these newer neighhoods bait un fenced pups to chase after one decoy yote while the pack waits in ambush outof sight

Lots of farm dogs have been lost in this exact manner.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They are not stupid and they will adapt, the last two creatures alive will be a yote and a cockroach. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve seen coyotes in the morning while taking a walk from both the Phoenician and JW Marriot resorts in Phoenix. No way I’d let a dog, even a big dog run loose in the back-yard near there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75