Boat Trailer Wheels/Rims

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found some bad sidewall damage on one of my boat trailer tires over the winter, and I'm going to replace both of the tires for good measure. The tire that's still good will become my spare, as the spares that I've got are in tough shape too, and they're old anyway - wheel size B78-13. I'm finding that after mounting a new tire, and disposing of the old tire, it'll cost almost the same as buying a tire or two already mounted on new rims.

This brings me to my question: are powder-coated rims as rust-resistant as galvanized? Galvanized rims are a tiny bit more expensive, but if they'll provide much better rust prevention than powder-coated rims, then I'm all for it! What are your experiences with either of these kinds of rust proofing?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I used for 20 years putting my boat in the Pacific Ocean were galvanized - not the prettiest but NO corrosion at all.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 2004 Lund riding on a galvanized trailer back in 2006. I have absolutely zero issues with the corrosion protection provided by galvanized boat trailers. It's been awesome!

I am still running on the same trailer and rims some 16 yrs later.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't recall ever seeing corrosion on anything galvanized. I have a 1961 ford Econoline pup with a galvanized body thats ever had any body work done to it and it looks like it just came from the factory minus a little paint missing from someone who must have been having fun with a pressure washer. look at old galvanized steel grain bins and galvanized nails and compare them to raw steel of the same age. It should be used more in my opinion, The only down side is if it needs to be welded.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 2004 Lund riding on a galvanized trailer back in 2006. I have absolutely zero issues with the corrosion protection provided by galvanized boat trailers. It's been awesome!

I am still running on the same trailer and rims some 16 yrs later.
Same

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Coatings like epoxy and powder paint are great if they remain fully intact, but they can actually concentrate corrosion on spots that become damaged.

Simply being conductively connected to a piece of zinc protects the ferrous metal. That is why outboard motors have one or two anodes (zinc block) attached. It's also how burying zinc anodes along pipelines provides cathodic protection. Also note we're talking about hot dip galvanization, not electroplating.

http://www.surtech-ind.com/powder-coating-vs-galvanizing.html

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75