on board charger

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry if this has been discussed. I bought a new to me boat last fall. It currently has a two bank on board charger. I want a 3 bank. What do think is better? Take out 2 bank and try to sell and put in a 3 bank or just add a single bank and add a plug to charge all 3 at same time? Easier vs $$??

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Switch to 3 bank if all 3 batteries will be of the same type. Minn-kota has $50 rebate available for purchases made through end of May.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you mean "same type?" Currently I have two deep cycles up front under rod locker. Charger is up front too in a compartment. I'd like to be able to charge my cranking battery also.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s fine to charge all three with a three bank. Each bank has a separate monitor for each battery. It doesn’t care what battery it is as long as it’s a 12V

Grumps

bigv: Any thought on adding a "house" battery for your current (or future) electronics?

I have two, 2 bank chargers for four batteries and love it. The house battery really cleaned up a few irksome interference issues on my graphs and I never worry about running down my starting battery.

(Fairly common problem with interference when trolling motor/graph/engine share a battery or charger.)

Last edited:

Grumps

I run one battery just for my electronics. Some people call this battery a "house" battery.

I run humminbirds and they can be a bit picky about shutting down with low battery voltages. Guys with mercs often have problems with their units shutting down when they start their main motors (if electronics share the starting battery).

I just use a cheap Costco deep cycle with good wire to my graphs and always have great readings with no shutdowns.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run one battery just for my electronics. Some people call this battery a "house" battery.

I run humminbirds and they can be a bit picky about shutting down with low battery voltages. Guys with mercs often have problems with their units shutting down when they start their main motors (if electronics share the starting battery).

I just use a cheap Costco deep cycle with good wire to my graphs and always have great readings with no shutdowns.

Interesting. I'll think on that. I think I want to go 3 bank route but will toss that around. I need to put in a "kill switch" on my graph line too. It does trickle drain my battery when sitting.

- - - Updated - - -

how many amps is good? At least 5 for each so 15 or more?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75