Pole Building

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you put up a pole building recently? Looking for avg cost and possible advice on some options. I am in western ND and am struggling even getting someone to quote a new building much less get me on their schedule. I am looking at building a 36 x 48' barn with 12'(?) sidewalls. Any idea how much more 12' would cost than 10'? Strictly a horse barn, not a riding room but really don't know what I need. The only thing a little off is I would like a steeper roof pitch so I can have a loft in one end of the building. I will build a tack room in one corner of the barn but that and the electrical I will do myself. Anyone have any experience or references? I did get a material quote from Hansen buildings but they have some stuff wrong and I haven't had a chance to get back with them yet. Also considering board and batten instead of steel siding so it looks more like a barn. Would really like to hear your experiences- thanks

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might try sending a PM to [MENTION=1290]Taylorman55[/MENTION] he put one up a year or two ago.
Also steel siding means no upkeep. Different siding might have to be repainted every so many years.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why so high for horses?
Material is really high from ground to peak. Sticker shock!
The loft is gonna add ALLOT! trusses have to beefed up.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would like to build this summer some time. As far as height, I really don't know what I need just don't want to under build. My garage has 9' ceilings and a foot taller than that would seem to be plenty. The loft is not necessary but I would like to know how much it actually would add to the project.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how much more.
Take your plans to a building center and it'll be a guick way to find a material estimate.
The higher/ more " of overhang, those add up quick.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest, costs from other than the last week mean little right now. I'd have to dig through a couple builds (bardominum styles) to figure it out. But it is insane right now. Steel is incredibly high right now, price increases every month. Lumber is too. It changes so fast and the lumber yards won't keep a quote for more than 10 days here. We sell something, then buy all the material to lock in that price at least. And then have to hold onto it until the build.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Menards website has a nice user friendly design software program that has prices included so you can compare costs. Everything you want to know is on that program. Save your work and it's there when you want to tweak it some more. If I remember right there is even a discussion group where others post thier designs for show and tell so there are a lot of ideas.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will have to sell at least 2 kids and maybe rent your wife out to afford any kind of building now. I’m extremely thankful I don’t have to build anything in the future.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Second Davy's pitch. use the Menards design it center on their website. Take the cost of materials and multiply by 3-4, should get you in the ballpark of someone coming out and building it for you.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will have to sell at least 2 kids and maybe rent your wife out to afford any kind of building now. I’m extremely thankful I don’t have to build anything in the future.

We've been trying to build a new house for almost 2 years now. We finally gave up on that dream for the foreseeable future. Prices and limited supply of certain materials is unbelievable. I still see new houses being built left and right and I don't understand how people are ok with overpaying and dealing with the supply shortage issues. To each their own though.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Follow up with Hansen Buildings. Not sure what they got wrong, but they'll make it right.
They're a local (SD) company that has the expertise and is still small enough to care about each building they sell.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every quote we get from subcontractors today have this or similar clauses : Due to the fluctuating prices and availability of materials pricings is subject to change.

Providing firm quotes today is impossible and the end user needs to understand that the prices most likely will change from what is originally proposed and need to prepare for that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Soon those people building a half million dollar house will see it go down to the 250 thousand dollar mark and be looking for a bridge to jump off of. Then the banks will make the rest of us pay for it. LB

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor built one last summer and went all out. 40x40 with 18 foot side walls and a side overhang. Metal siding, spray foam, concrete with epoxy coating, etc. Cost a little north of $200,000.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We've been trying to build a new house for almost 2 years now. We finally gave up on that dream for the foreseeable future. Prices and limited supply of certain materials is unbelievable. I still see new houses being built left and right and I don't understand how people are ok with overpaying and dealing with the supply shortage issues. To each their own though.

It's unreal. They're still building in our neighborhood and selling new 1800 sqft 3 bed, 2 bath homes for $649K. Bought our house fall 2019 and our realtor sent an email a couple weeks ago saying how she has multiple cash buyers ready to buy $30-40K above appraisal on the spot in our part of town.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got a quote a couple weeks ago for this building from a local builder. with dirt floor they want 60K total cost.
cache.php

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...9-c-9893.htm?tid=-8211532786588187613&ipos=30

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loft will add a lot due to plywood prices. You also need to consider what you want to bring through the overhead door when figuring wall height. You will loose a foot for the overhead door. So 10’ wall gives you max 9’ overhead door. 10’ is way plenty of height for horses.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75