Pole Building

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got a quote a couple weeks ago for this building from a local builder. with dirt floor they want 60K total cost.

That's close to what I was dreaming about once apon a time before the prices jumped sky high. I was thinking of a matching roof line/sheltered overhang on one side. I like your building but I only see one walk in door ,I'd add one more on the far end.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got a quote a couple weeks ago for this building from a local builder. with dirt floor they want 60K total cost.

That's close to what I was dreaming about once apon a time before the prices jumped sky high. I was thinking of a matching roof line/sheltered overhang on one side. I like your building but I only see one walk in door ,I'd add one more on the far end.

I actually want to add another overhead door on the left back corner and pour concrete under the 12x45 part and divide it into 3 rooms, one to keep my bees during the winter, in the back corner, with a door so I can move them in on pallets using a tractor, middle room to keep bee supplies and extraction equipment and then the front room could be an office/storage area... Id like to put floor drains in the 2 back rooms so that I can spray them down etc. The 24x45 garage area I would probably just put crushed cement or gravel in, or maybe leave dirt...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually want to add another overhead door on the left back corner and pour concrete under the 12x45 part and divide it into 3 rooms, one to keep my bees during the winter, in the back corner, with a door so I can move them in on pallets using a tractor, middle room to keep bee supplies and extraction equipment and then the front room could be an office/storage area... Id like to put floor drains in the 2 back rooms so that I can spray them down etc. The 24x45 garage area I would probably just put crushed cement or gravel in, or maybe leave dirt...
So this bee thing actually became reality? Awesomeness

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this bee thing actually became reality? Awesomeness

Kind of, I had 15 hives going into winter and right now only have 3 with bees flying, so thats disappointing, going to be a rebuilding year for my colonies... Hopefully we have decent rain this summer as last year was tough with the drought. Our winters arent great for bees so keeping them inside, just to protect them from the elements would help significantly I think.

If you are into honey I still have some from last year, I could drop a jar off.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of, I had 15 hives going into winter and right now only have 3 with bees flying, so thats disappointing, going to be a rebuilding year for my colonies... Hopefully we have decent rain this summer as last year was tough with the drought. Our winters arent great for bees so keeping them inside, just to protect them from the elements would help significantly I think.

If you are into honey I still have some from last year, I could drop a jar off.

I have a buddy who salvages/relocates nuisance Honey Bees. If nobody does that in your area you should be able to get all sorts of freebies.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a buddy who salvages/relocates nuisance Honey Bees. If nobody does that in your area you should be able to get all sorts of freebies.

Where does he do that at? Because there arent many feral honey bee hives in ND, and managed hives dont swarm often,I have yet to see a swarm around here. I even put out some swarm traps 2 years ago hoping to attract some but they sat empty all year.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where does he do that at? Because there arent many feral honey bee hives in ND, and managed hives dont swarm often,I have yet to see a swarm around here. I even put out some swarm traps 2 years ago hoping to attract some but they sat empty all year.

Up in the turtle mountains, I haven't asked him about it in a couple years but when he was first starting up he latched on to some . I had a small colony here that built inside of a silver colored water tank. I found them too late in the fall and waited for a cold morning and lifted the tank out with a backhoe but they had already eaten most of the honey. Might make a difference up here vs there as there are a lot of hives set out in this area.

- - - Updated - - -

He got the word out and if anyone had a problem with honey bees they called him.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up in the turtle mountains, I haven't asked him about it in a couple years but when he was first starting up he latched on to some . I had a small colony here that built inside of a silver colored water tank. I found them too late in the fall and waited for a cold morning and lifted the tank out with a backhoe but they had already eaten most of the honey. Might make a difference up here vs there as there are a lot of hives set out in this area.

- - - Updated - - -

He got the word out and if anyone had a problem with honey bees they called him.

Having more trees might help aslo, thats where they like to build nests... I know a local commercial beekeeper that hopefully will let me snag some of his bees to get going again...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having more trees might help aslo, thats where they like to build nests... I know a local commercial beekeeper that hopefully will let me snag some of his bees to get going again...

I'll keep my eyes and ears open here too, Like you, he has a green thumb and sells garden seed and plants out of his green house so I'll be visiting with him soon. He is a genuine good guy so if he runs into more than enough I'm pretty sure he will help you out.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prices have gone absolutely insane. We built that 60x130x14 horse riding arena in late 2019 for around $85,000.

The property with the arena right now has a sale pending as we bought a new place close to "home" last week. We contacted the builder who put our barn up to get a rough quote so it would help us price our property... same barn in 2022 is $200,000-$215,000. Roughly 2.5X cost increase over 2.5-3 years. I don't know if the smaller width buildings have gone up that much, but these 60+ foot wide buildings sure have seen a drastic increase.

For those considering putting up a 60+ foot wide building, consider going with red iron/ steel frame/truss. I've been in contact with multiple builders the last couple weeks as we are considering putting up another arena in the future, and since wood has gone insane, the iron buildings have become a lot more competitive in pricing, at least for these 'wider' builds.

Cheers!

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a quote back on the building I was looking for. The loft added about $25K, wood siding over steel was another $20k or so. Total bid on my original building was just under 100 grand for 36 x 48 with no cement. Reworking my plans

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn I know it has been awhile built mine 8 years ago 2,800 sq feet, concrete floor, big pad out front. 2x6 walls, 14' ceiling, loft on 1/4 with 3 big insulated doors, 2 big steel walk out doors insulated, all smooth white aluminum inside, and two walls inside for clean work shop, good wood lap siding, all insulated good friend insulating contractor helped too. Two propane hanging furnaces. Got great deal on wood brother-in law owns lumber yard out of town too. I did help do alot too and hired 3 retired concrete boys for all of $50,000 shit I have gold mine now.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76