Help with plastics for walleyes....

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried to make a concerted effort to use plastics this spring for walleyes. I've used them sporadically in the past with decent results, but without too much effort. Yet this spring I've really struggled. Live bait is still winning 5-1 on plastics for me. I've tried fishing them the same way, fishing the plastics more aggressively, etc. and still just haven't had the success I have with bait. Heck I've had days where tipping plastics with bait was the only way to yield a bite. I've really liked the Moxi's and similar style ringworm type baits, along with the typical minnow style plastics. I've also tried swimbaits, Largo Shads, Storm swimbaits, Ripple tails, with what seems like not much success ever.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have full faith in artificials, love to pull crankbaits. But I have just really struggled. Any pointers here?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I can be any help, for while I also like using plastics every now and then, live bait still puts more fish in my boat than plastics.

Last edited:

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
How deep are you fishing? Best thing to do is when you start catching them on live bait switch right away to plastics so you know the fish are there biting. Took me a whole year to learn how to use jigging raps

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the idea of fishing is to catch fish, i think you figured it out,, stick with live bait :)
But i get it, i like catching fish in different ways to, but always seems for me to that live bait outperforms plastics almost every time.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
If we are strictly talking jig fishing when discussing plastics, I think jig size and cadence makes a lot bigger difference than what is being used as "bait". All comes down to the mood of the fish. I had a couple instances this spring where plastics outfished minnows massively. It seemed the fish wanted a bigger meal. I like the Kalin's tickle tail plastics.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seems water clarity makes a difference and right jig weight/color,for many years walleye fishing mn and stained canadian waters,gumball colored jig heads in the right weight with 3" white twister tails tipped with a chunk of crawler was the ticket on most lakes,then other water's a lime green tail was needed.

ND walleyes seem to like verticle baits these days year round...

rigs.jpg

NodakBob

Honored Member
One area I really prefer plastic is when pitching jigs...don't lose the plastic minnow so often as a real one.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
only real luck ive had with plastics is in combination with live bait. I think with just plastics you would have to fish more aggressively and try to trigger strikes, instead of giving them time to think about it. Ripping jigs for aggressive pre-post spawn males would likely work for example.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
25ft and less--Texas rigged Culprit. I like Motor Oil or Tomato. Just saying. Berkely Power Worms are probably better.

images

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake or river? With current or without? Water depth? I use artificial baits 95% of the time unless I'm after catfish, suckers, or other bottom type feeding fish.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aggressive is word and I like to use like Berkley half head jig style made more for plastic etc... there is other brands that. Once kinda figure it out it is so nice

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you using gulp alive? Those plastics are like a spung soaked in smelly fish gunk.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've tried to make a concerted effort to use plastics this spring for walleyes. I've used them sporadically in the past with decent results, but without too much effort. Yet this spring I've really struggled. Live bait is still winning 5-1 on plastics for me. I've tried fishing them the same way, fishing the plastics more aggressively, etc. and still just haven't had the success I have with bait. Heck I've had days where tipping plastics with bait was the only way to yield a bite. I've really liked the Moxi's and similar style ringworm type baits, along with the typical minnow style plastics. I've also tried swimbaits, Largo Shads, Storm swimbaits, Ripple tails, with what seems like not much success ever.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have full faith in artificials, love to pull crankbaits. But I have just really struggled. Any pointers here?

How are you fishing them? I pop it off the bottom and let it fall and hit the bottom. I mainly use plastics in the spring when the bite is hot but I have learned that live bait can sometimes be the ticket. Last weekend could not get a bite on plastics, switched to minnow and limited out in under an hour. Sometimes the live bait cannot be matched. I do use plastics in the summer when exploring from shore when I don’t want to carry minnows. I also use plastics when drifting as my rod holder rod so I don’t have to worry about losing bait.

The main plastics I use are moxie and walleye assassins and sometimes Salmo plastics.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm fishing mainly the Missouri River reservoirs, or similar. I've tried to work plastics into any jig/bait technique I can. I've pitched 1/8oz jigs shallow during spawn time, vertical jigged deep early with heavier jigs, casted and worked mid depths that we were catching fish on with bait. Even on the days where the fish wanted the bait dragged with little action, plastics fished similar did not produce. I've fished them agressively, popping them each time it hits bottom. Just hasn't equated to much. I can catch fish and jigging raps fine...there was a learning curve there but I feel quite confident with them. Heck I think as a kid I caught more fish with a jig and twister tail than anything. Now today I've got a boat full of plastics and struggle LOL.

I'm trying to fish as light as I can if possible. Last weekend on Francis Case, the fish would bite on small minnows all day long. Nothing plastic wise, large or small, was competing. And those were shallow fish. Just strange some days.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find that the cadence is important and can change as the day goes on. Water temp plays a role in what they want in general. Sometimes an aggressive pop and fall but sometimes just a lift and fall in more of a swimming action. Sometimes a straight retrieve with a few rod pumps. I’ve been doing well on Sak but not on plastics. Been doing better with Bucktail jigs. No minnow. I think due to the cool water the subtle action triggers them.
I’d say keep at it and don’t give up. Once you get confidence in them you’ll be glad you stuck it out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My most successful plastic techniques comes at both ends of the spectrum. A small natural colored 1/8th oz twister tail fished on a hop-5 second pause while it sits motionless on the bottom, then hop again. Hits usually come when it sits still. For some reason I think the neutral to negative fish will approach then sit and look at the jig. The twister tail must make some minute movement which makes them just pick it up. The other method that has worked is a 5 inch paddle tail or similar plastic rip jigged off the bottom. 2-3 foot rips with a straight fall. I never feel the bite as the fish inhale the bait on the fall. I set the hook on the next rip. I don't seem to have much luck dragging a jig or with a straight swim retrieve unless I'm in good current. Good Luck! Go catch a bunch!

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last week we were popping our fish working the old river channel structure verticle jigging raps from shallow to deep in a target rich environment

targets.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My most successful plastic techniques comes at both ends of the spectrum. A small natural colored 1/8th oz twister tail fished on a hop-5 second pause while it sits motionless on the bottom, then hop again. Hits usually come when it sits still. For some reason I think the neutral to negative fish will approach then sit and look at the jig. The twister tail must make some minute movement which makes them just pick it up. The other method that has worked is a 5 inch paddle tail or similar plastic rip jigged off the bottom. 2-3 foot rips with a straight fall. I never feel the bite as the fish inhale the bait on the fall. I set the hook on the next rip. I don't seem to have much luck dragging a jig or with a straight swim retrieve unless I'm in good current. Good Luck! Go catch a bunch!

I'm not dicking around about the TR worms. Pop as above or drag with short twitches on a low rod tip.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75