NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 581
      Given: 284
      Classifieds

Help with plastics for walleyes....

I've tried to make a concerted effort to use plastics this spring for walleyes. I've used them sporadically in the past with decent results, but without too much effort. Yet this spring I've really struggled. Live bait is still winning 5-1 on plastics for me. I've tried fishing them the same way, fishing the plastics more aggressively, etc. and still just haven't had the success I have with bait. Heck I've had days where tipping plastics with bait was the only way to yield a bite. I've really liked the Moxi's and similar style ringworm type baits, along with the typical minnow style plastics. I've also tried swimbaits, Largo Shads, Storm swimbaits, Ripple tails, with what seems like not much success ever.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have full faith in artificials, love to pull crankbaits. But I have just really struggled. Any pointers here?

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 5,358
      Given: 2,140
      I don't think I can be any help, for while I also like using plastics every now and then, live bait still puts more fish in my boat than plastics.

3 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Allen; 05-25-2022 at 10:59 PM.
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

3. Back To Top    #3
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      WTF!?

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 815
      Given: 2,346
      How deep are you fishing? Best thing to do is when you start catching them on live bait switch right away to plastics so you know the fish are there biting. Took me a whole year to learn how to use jigging raps

1 Not allowed!
      Every year has two seasons hunting season and fishing season

4. Back To Top    #4
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 662
      Given: 511
      If the idea of fishing is to catch fish, i think you figured it out,, stick with live bait
      But i get it, i like catching fish in different ways to, but always seems for me to that live bait outperforms plastics almost every time.

1 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      WTF!?

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 815
      Given: 2,346
      How big of jigs are you using? Line type and weight

0 Not allowed!
      Every year has two seasons hunting season and fishing season

6. Back To Top    #6
      Gold Member
      Wishin' I were fishin'

Mood:
      Hungry

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 202
      Given: 160
      If we are strictly talking jig fishing when discussing plastics, I think jig size and cadence makes a lot bigger difference than what is being used as "bait". All comes down to the mood of the fish. I had a couple instances this spring where plastics outfished minnows massively. It seemed the fish wanted a bigger meal. I like the Kalin's tickle tail plastics.

1 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 901
      Given: 1,747
      Seems water clarity makes a difference and right jig weight/color,for many years walleye fishing mn and stained canadian waters,gumball colored jig heads in the right weight with 3" white twister tails tipped with a chunk of crawler was the ticket on most lakes,then other water's a lime green tail was needed.

ND walleyes seem to like verticle baits these days year round...

Name:  rigs.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  98.3 KB

1 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #8
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 32
      Given: 8
      One area I really prefer plastic is when pitching jigs...don't lose the plastic minnow so often as a real one.

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,280
      Given: 3,620
      only real luck ive had with plastics is in combination with live bait. I think with just plastics you would have to fish more aggressively and try to trigger strikes, instead of giving them time to think about it. Ripping jigs for aggressive pre-post spawn males would likely work for example.

0 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #10
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Hold my beer

Mood:
      Friendly

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,755
      Given: 8,363
      25ft and less--Texas rigged Culprit. I like Motor Oil or Tomato. Just saying. Berkely Power Worms are probably better.

0 Not allowed!
      Uncle Steve defines minnows as any small fish racing around to relax.

You can't build a wall high enough to stop a vaccine.

--the significance of the passage of time? RIGHT? So when you think about it; there is great significance in the passage of time and there's SUCH great significance in the passage of time

Imagine, if you will, a world where every tweet and meme must be fact checked, but not a ballot.

I’m responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

11. Back To Top    #11
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In Progress

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 14,186
      Given: 3,869
      Lake or river? With current or without? Water depth? I use artificial baits 95% of the time unless I'm after catfish, suckers, or other bottom type feeding fish.

1 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #12
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 72
      Given: 12
      Aggressive is word and I like to use like Berkley half head jig style made more for plastic etc... there is other brands that. Once kinda figure it out it is so nice

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #13
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,925
      Given: 4,630
      Are you using gulp alive? Those plastics are like a spung soaked in smelly fish gunk.

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #14
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4
      Given: 1
      low and slow on the bottom

0 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #15
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,346
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
      I've tried to make a concerted effort to use plastics this spring for walleyes. I've used them sporadically in the past with decent results, but without too much effort. Yet this spring I've really struggled. Live bait is still winning 5-1 on plastics for me. I've tried fishing them the same way, fishing the plastics more aggressively, etc. and still just haven't had the success I have with bait. Heck I've had days where tipping plastics with bait was the only way to yield a bite. I've really liked the Moxi's and similar style ringworm type baits, along with the typical minnow style plastics. I've also tried swimbaits, Largo Shads, Storm swimbaits, Ripple tails, with what seems like not much success ever.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have full faith in artificials, love to pull crankbaits. But I have just really struggled. Any pointers here?
      How are you fishing them? I pop it off the bottom and let it fall and hit the bottom. I mainly use plastics in the spring when the bite is hot but I have learned that live bait can sometimes be the ticket. Last weekend could not get a bite on plastics, switched to minnow and limited out in under an hour. Sometimes the live bait cannot be matched. I do use plastics in the summer when exploring from shore when I don’t want to carry minnows. I also use plastics when drifting as my rod holder rod so I don’t have to worry about losing bait.

The main plastics I use are moxie and walleye assassins and sometimes Salmo plastics.

0 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #16
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 581
      Given: 284
      Classifieds
      I'm fishing mainly the Missouri River reservoirs, or similar. I've tried to work plastics into any jig/bait technique I can. I've pitched 1/8oz jigs shallow during spawn time, vertical jigged deep early with heavier jigs, casted and worked mid depths that we were catching fish on with bait. Even on the days where the fish wanted the bait dragged with little action, plastics fished similar did not produce. I've fished them agressively, popping them each time it hits bottom. Just hasn't equated to much. I can catch fish and jigging raps fine...there was a learning curve there but I feel quite confident with them. Heck I think as a kid I caught more fish with a jig and twister tail than anything. Now today I've got a boat full of plastics and struggle LOL.

I'm trying to fish as light as I can if possible. Last weekend on Francis Case, the fish would bite on small minnows all day long. Nothing plastic wise, large or small, was competing. And those were shallow fish. Just strange some days.

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #17
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 154
      Given: 68
      I find that the cadence is important and can change as the day goes on. Water temp plays a role in what they want in general. Sometimes an aggressive pop and fall but sometimes just a lift and fall in more of a swimming action. Sometimes a straight retrieve with a few rod pumps. I’ve been doing well on Sak but not on plastics. Been doing better with Bucktail jigs. No minnow. I think due to the cool water the subtle action triggers them.
      I’d say keep at it and don’t give up. Once you get confidence in them you’ll be glad you stuck it out.

0 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #18
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In Progress

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 14,186
      Given: 3,869
      My most successful plastic techniques comes at both ends of the spectrum. A small natural colored 1/8th oz twister tail fished on a hop-5 second pause while it sits motionless on the bottom, then hop again. Hits usually come when it sits still. For some reason I think the neutral to negative fish will approach then sit and look at the jig. The twister tail must make some minute movement which makes them just pick it up. The other method that has worked is a 5 inch paddle tail or similar plastic rip jigged off the bottom. 2-3 foot rips with a straight fall. I never feel the bite as the fish inhale the bait on the fall. I set the hook on the next rip. I don't seem to have much luck dragging a jig or with a straight swim retrieve unless I'm in good current. Good Luck! Go catch a bunch!

0 Not allowed!

19. Back To Top    #19
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 901
      Given: 1,747
      Last week we were popping our fish working the old river channel structure verticle jigging raps from shallow to deep in a target rich environment

Name:  targets.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  100.8 KB

0 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Hold my beer

Mood:
      Friendly

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,755
      Given: 8,363
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
      My most successful plastic techniques comes at both ends of the spectrum. A small natural colored 1/8th oz twister tail fished on a hop-5 second pause while it sits motionless on the bottom, then hop again. Hits usually come when it sits still. For some reason I think the neutral to negative fish will approach then sit and look at the jig. The twister tail must make some minute movement which makes them just pick it up. The other method that has worked is a 5 inch paddle tail or similar plastic rip jigged off the bottom. 2-3 foot rips with a straight fall. I never feel the bite as the fish inhale the bait on the fall. I set the hook on the next rip. I don't seem to have much luck dragging a jig or with a straight swim retrieve unless I'm in good current. Good Luck! Go catch a bunch!
      I'm not dicking around about the TR worms. Pop as above or drag with short twitches on a low rod tip.

0 Not allowed!
      Uncle Steve defines minnows as any small fish racing around to relax.

You can't build a wall high enough to stop a vaccine.

--the significance of the passage of time? RIGHT? So when you think about it; there is great significance in the passage of time and there's SUCH great significance in the passage of time

Imagine, if you will, a world where every tweet and meme must be fact checked, but not a ballot.

I’m responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast