Help with plastics for walleyes....

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I can be any help, for while I also like using plastics every now and then, live bait still puts more fish in my boat than plastics.
Same
I haven't fished the river in a few years, but that's when I last used plastic.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm fishing mainly the Missouri River reservoirs, or similar. I've tried to work plastics into any jig/bait technique I can. I've pitched 1/8oz jigs shallow during spawn time, vertical jigged deep early with heavier jigs, casted and worked mid depths that we were catching fish on with bait. Even on the days where the fish wanted the bait dragged with little action, plastics fished similar did not produce. I've fished them agressively, popping them each time it hits bottom. Just hasn't equated to much. I can catch fish and jigging raps fine...there was a learning curve there but I feel quite confident with them. Heck I think as a kid I caught more fish with a jig and twister tail than anything. Now today I've got a boat full of plastics and struggle LOL.

I'm trying to fish as light as I can if possible. Last weekend on Francis Case, the fish would bite on small minnows all day long. Nothing plastic wise, large or small, was competing. And those were shallow fish. Just strange some days.

Stick with live bait. I just think it works better, your data is proof.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use gulp and other plastics most of the time as well. I've outdid my dad enough times when he's using live bait for him to start believing. As long as it is a moving presentation it works well. It won't replace it dead sticking or a picky vertical bite. You can mimic a minnow and a worm pretty well with Gulp/etc, but I have never seen a replacement for a live leech. It all depends on situation/presentation.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just do a steady retrieve when fishing under 8 ft, go with a 3/8 jig and paddle tail and reel fast

- - - Updated - - -

Caught the fish in my profile picture reeling almost as fast as I could one day after ice out

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
capt,

leech pattern jiggin rap "#9" clear body,black back,killer on the river.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ I tried this pattern yesterday. Identical conditions (MN). Couldn’t trigger a single bite. Went to a bobber/leech and caught 5 eyes 20-23”.

Really pissed me off that I couldn’t get them to go on plastic. Aaaarg.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one acknowledging my above posts about TR worms makes me feel like a marginalized VP, press secretary, or pro athlete.

Skip to 2:00 and sinker color is bullshit:

https://youtu.be/uUfdCAMEoFk

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I struggled this weekend with hookups. Using senkos i had them all the way the boat than one splash and dey would be gone. i tried bigger hook that worked better.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would like to try a jig and plastics in weeds. How heavy of a jig should be used and how does a guy not always get caught up I'm the vegetation

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to try a jig and plastics in weeds. How heavy of a jig should be used and how does a guy not always get caught up I'm the vegetation

Post #10, 20 and 28. My go-to weight is 8th oz then modify from there as necessary.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Untitled.png
I'm going to give these a go, for live bait. https://shop.northlandtackle.com/jigs/weedless-stand-up-fire-ball-jig/
Will report back after using them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Last post and I'll let it go for a while: I'd appreciate if you'd try a 7.5 Culprit or Power Worm with that jig head. You'd need to break off the head at the collar. Whole point for years being: Bass tactics for walleye are very effective and are more available and freaking simple. Open water and contour lines provide a challenge to my "thesis" as trolling is not traditional for bass.

The key to both is location and mass. IMO walleye are more susceptible to electronics and will readily bite "bass shit".

I've caught both walleye and channel cat twitching a shallow running ShadRap on top. Both strike with a violent "lunge" :) as opposed to a "pop":).

Find them and bang them.

Putin's fuel prices inspired this post: As did this:

https://youtu.be/0XVCc5zwPlU

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've kinda passed through my phase of plastics this spring with little luck. Now that summer is full on here I'm using other tactics. This fallw when the vertical bite comes on I'll keep plodding along with plastics, and again in the spring. Thanks for the help!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for not disappearing! Don't be afraid of the TR worms. Tight lines!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75