Question for boat trailer and lift

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am going to do a makeshift aka "jerryrig" my boat lift. I sold my toon bunks thinking i could get boat bunks fairly quickly. Wrong they are 14 weeks out.

My question i am going to use some heavy bolster brackets 4 of em and attach between them a 2x6. The thing is my lift is long --- 128 inch span. I would like to have that 2x6 flat vs up and down. The span from the front to back 10.5 feet is what i am worried about. Boat is 19 feet, alum, and motor weigh 2400lbs. The ass end and console should be sitting on portion

The one that was ordered is alum and will be that long; it will bend but i am assuming its engineered to do so.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

So I am going to do a makeshift aka "jerryrig" my boat lift. I sold my toon bunks thinking i could get boat bunks fairly quickly. Wrong they are 14 weeks out.

My question i am going to use some heavy bolster brackets 4 of em and attach between them a 2x6. The thing is my lift is long --- 128 inch span. I would like to have that 2x6 flat vs up and down. The span from the front to back 10.5 feet is what i am worried about. Boat is 19 feet, alum, and motor weigh 2400lbs. The ass end and console should be sitting on portion

The one that was ordered is alum and will be that long; it will bend but i am assuming its engineered to do so.

Thoughts?

ignore i said trailer --- i meant lift

Last edited:

NodakBob

Honored Member
I wouldn't even attempt to walk on an 8' 2x6 laying flat to bridge a gap...sounds like your loading from the boat is going to far exceed my body weight.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have pictures?

Could possibly fit an angle or hollow structural section to support the lumber. Sounds like it's temporary so steel corrosion shouldn't be a concern.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
lift.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

thats how it would look in the end -- cept the brackets are 7 guage 4 u bolts per bracket. The board would be limited in flexing somewhat due to the fact that it attached to each bracket.

the lifts i had in yester year were all small they held a 16 foot boat and they had beams in the middle. These new ones pull straight up longer and have no middle beam.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a boat lift for many years that looked pretty much like that with wood beams. You're not going to lift the whole boat from any single spot on the 2 X 6's so your weight distribution will be much less on any one spot. The cross beams are actually holding more weight. There is no doubt it would hold more if the 2 X 6's were vertical but I still don't see a problem.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Double or triple stack the 2x6s and screw together.

Screw a 2x6 or 2x4 to the underside of the bunk to make a T.

Screw a piece of angle iron under the single 2x6.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a boat lift for many years that looked pretty much like that with wood beams. You're not going to lift the whole boat from any single spot on the 2 X 6's so your weight distribution will be much less on any one spot. The cross beams are actually holding more weight. There is no doubt it would hold more if the 2 X 6's were vertical but I still don't see a problem.
This^^^^^

Just about every boat lift I've seen has the 2x6's laying flat, they flex to fit the boat hull contour better that way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74