Favorite rod~

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1.jpgYouse guyz have that one lucky rod?

Years ago I had the one lucky walleye fenwick for rigging and a lucky G-loomis for pitching jigs...

Today so many choices ,me thinks the fav/lucky rod is the one you use the most just like lures.

So many choices...

gear.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly Im not a rod snob, I can catch fish with a $50 lighting rod or a $150 Fenwick. Id much rather have a good reel, especially when it comes to casting reels, than a fancy rod. Ive never spent over $200 for a rod so maybe I dont know what Im missing... I do have some friends that are super picky about their rods and when Im fishing with them, they dont often outfish me, for whatever that is worth.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
My million year old Ugly Stik is always a part of my arsenal.. Always.. wouldnt be considered fishing without it.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I started making my own rods, they have become my favorites. So fun to catch fish on rods I made!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought this rod combo back in early high school when me and my buddies started getting into ice fishing heavy. Bought it for $5 at an end of season sale. The rod reacts like a half inch dowl rod and the reel feels like it’s packed with frozen grease; but this old girl has caught more fish than most guys have lied about! Iced two +8lb eyes in its first couple years of use and still in action today. We named it “Samsonite” and I still send all my old buddies pictures each winter while I’m icing fish.

I can tell when using a truly crap rod for open water, but I haven’t been able to tell much difference from a mid class rod to a premium. Good chance there’s user error/lack of skill playing in.
C9226D60-A7D7-4D79-BE8D-6F3EBF1DA81F.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know if this thread is for brand recognition or a specific rod. What is it? You cant really say a favorite as each has a different purpose; unless if you fish the same way every day in day out. As all fish transition from spring to summer the rod type changes imo. So i am out.

my opinion - snow has lots of cash to buy those legends for pulling spinners. I bet they are awesome though!!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an old Fenwick my Dad bought in the early '80's and I started using when I was about 9 years old. I finally broke it around 2012 making the thing about 30 years old. It had great feel and an extra-fast action. I still think about that thing sometimes. Fenwick Iron Hawk was the model I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Fenwick.jpg

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was awarded an old school lightning rod from the ND Governors Cup many years back as a prize for under 18 participants. I’m 42 and still fish with it to this day. It’s not the first one I pick up in all situations but it still finds it’s way into the rotation a lot of days

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Capt,

Agreed that fenwick HMG was a darn good rod ,maybe it still is? had one,it was my first graphite,then I started working at a sport shop back in the 70's,bad idea for a broke fisherman but managed to upgrade my HMG two piece do everything rod to a fenwick one piece "goldwing" walleye riggin rod,lifetime warrenty back then came in handy a few times,I remember the transition from fiberglass to graphite,what a game changer way before we had ceramic or titanium rod guides and "no stretch fishing line.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought this rod combo back in early high school when me and my buddies started getting into ice fishing heavy. Bought it for $5 at an end of season sale. The rod reacts like a half inch dowl rod and the reel feels like it’s packed with frozen grease; but this old girl has caught more fish than most guys have lied about! Iced two +8lb eyes in its first couple years of use and still in action today. We named it “Samsonite” and I still send all my old buddies pictures each winter while I’m icing fish.

I can tell when using a truly crap rod for open water, but I haven’t been able to tell much difference from a mid class rod to a premium. Good chance there’s user error/lack of skill playing in.
1707862044480.png

I have that exact same rod. Great dead stick rod. I lost it down the hole to a fish, came back a week later and a buddy snagged it off the bottom of the lake. I still have it. I have an orange one too.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
K.W.sounds like right out of"grumpy old men" play book...lol.

My first spinning reel came from a duck hunting trip with my dad back in the early 60's,small lake loaded with pike,decoy anchor snagged fishing line,red/white dare devil on one end,rod n reel on the other,old mitchel300 reel,used it for years to come.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd dare say a red and white daredevil has probably caught more pike than any other lure in all of pikedom.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an old Fenwick my Dad bought in the early '80's and I started using when I was about 9 years old. I finally broke it around 2012 making the thing about 30 years old. It had great feel and an extra-fast action. I still think about that thing sometimes. Fenwick Iron Hawk was the model I think.

- - - Updated - - -

1707862044480.png
Lifetime warranty on the HMG's, I just broke mine last weekend, no receipt but Im hoping they will still make good on it. Its probably 20 years old...

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lifetime warranty on the HMG's, I just broke mine last weekend, no receipt but Im hoping they will still make good on it. Its probably 20 years old...

Not sure if fenwick had a lifetime warrenty on HMG's? but they sure did on they're gold wing,didn't need a rec'pt either,local sport shop took care of the replacement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75