Something special for my Daughters Graduation

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to do something special for my daughter on her graduation and I wanted it to be something more personal than money can buy. With that in mind I decided to smoke a whole hog for her celebration with the idea that very few graduates will have a whole smoked hog as the main course for their grad party. We just finished rubbing it down and it's currently in the cooler soaking up the yumminess. Hope it looks as good to you folks as it does to me. Best guess is about 85 lbs of mouth watering goodness. I'm planning about 15 hours of smoke time to get it to where I want it. I hope it turns out like I plan.

DSC04920.jpg

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would be injecting a Creole sauce into the meaty parts

Happycamper

Honored Member
Here you go again, showing up the rest of us. Congrats for the effort, I trust the kids will love it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
did you skin it or singe it and leave skin on?

Scrubbed the hog clean with water and elbow grease from nose to tail tip, then skinned it. I skin the hogs I smoke as it's hard to get the seasoning through the skin unless you inject the seasoning and I prefer a dry rub type of seasoning.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man that brings back some memories of cooking a hog on the cooker.
Congrats to your daughter on her graduation. :;:rockit

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM,

Have you done this before or is it your first go round? I’ve never done it but I do plan on giving it a shot in the not too distant future.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

Have you done this before or is it your first go round? I’ve never done it but I do plan on giving it a shot in the not too distant future.

This will be my 4th one. If this one turns out like the previous 3, I will be very satisfied with the effort.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I get close to doing this I may have to start a thread for tips.

I’ve actually only eaten off of a whole smoked pig once but oh my goodness was it amazing. It was in cooked in a pit dug in the ground.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was served half the head split right down the middle. I was a little drunk and was a hungry youth. I wasn't sure what I had at first. I could see the snout and ear, and when I flipped it over sure enough the jaw with teeth. After laughing my ass off I went to work with the knife and fork and ate his cheek. I ate what I could off skull, not much meat on it. Tasted like pork roast. Don't remember much, I was a little drunk.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats kdm daughter graduating ( to all those of the class of 2022) may she (all) reach for the stars and achieve excellence through academia to better the world.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the daughter graduated, the party was a success, everyone got fed, and I get to enjoy the leftovers. The hog was without description good. It essentially fell apart with perfectly delectable blends of fat and meat. I really can't describe the relief I felt when it was finished and finally served, but upon my first sampling for flavor, I was more than happy with the results. Here's what it looked like before being torn apart and relished by many a well wisher who came to bid my daughter success in her future endeavors. It tasted just as good as the picture suggests.......

DSC05082.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on successful cook and also to your daughter.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are worth all the work, been to a few parties even ones we did in ground, mouthwatering and congratulations to all. Damn now we all are hungry.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75