TR Doc on History Channel

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else catching it? Excellent job from Hollywood Di Caprio(?!)...

Was attending a Christmas program at the kid's school and heard my daughter and her friend quietly giggling behind me. I was a cool dad and instead of turning around to chastise I quietly asked the girls for the source of great amusement. I was told through stifled giggles "Marissa" or some such said I looked like Theodore Roosevelt--hee hee hee. I gave them the "shush" signal and whispered "BULLY" with a Gene Wilder look in my eyes. The giggling stopped and "Bully" was explained on the ride home. It's one of my fondest memories.

My only criticism of the doc is no mention is made of Africa and the .405 Win. Well two: The Krag is shown during the Cuba excursion with no real explanation and no mention of the Potato Digger 7X57.

TR will always be a dent in American egos as he still spotlights how a lot of lives are wasted. My Lord, what a treasure.

That is all.

cache.php

Lyrics:

https://youtu.be/hqxOs5yaOZ4

Bonus (TR lost a son to a dogfight in the Great War):

https://youtu.be/Xg9aQvjMS60

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Caught part of it last night and yes its good. Also the item about the Buffalo Soldiers was interesting. LB

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I watched about 90% of it. Definitely was a great documentary on the life of Teddy. I sure hope they replay it some time in the not so distant future. I think it would be a good thing to show in schools during a history class. He was definitely an amazing man who even has an assassination attempt on him, yet continued to the venue to give an 80 minute speech with a bullet in him. One tough guy!

Have they broke ground yet on T R Presidential Library?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clay Jenkinson of Bismarck is one of the Historians on the show.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have they broke ground yet on T R Presidential Library?
I don't think so, there was a pile of donations that I think were taken back when they pulled it from Dickinson to move it out to Medora.
They have the spot picked out, but believe that is as far as its gone so far.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it is scheduled to open in 2026 and include the statue the libs removed in NY from the American Museum of Natural History

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twas a great biography of TR and his travels, accomplishments, and adventures. Clay and I don't always agree on many points, but he is a good story-teller and has the knowledge to back it up. Anyway, the PBS special is one all should see!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else catching it? Excellent job from Hollywood Di Caprio(?!)...

Was attending a Christmas program at the kid's school and heard my daughter and her friend quietly giggling behind me. I was a cool dad and instead of turning around to chastise I quietly asked the girls for the source of great amusement. I was told through stifled giggles "Marissa" or some such said I looked like Theodore Roosevelt--hee hee hee. I gave them the "shush" signal and whispered "BULLY" with a Gene Wilder look in my eyes. The giggling stopped and "Bully" was explained on the ride home. It's one of my fondest memories.

My only criticism of the doc is no mention is made of Africa and the .405 Win. Well two: The Krag is shown during the Cuba excursion with no real explanation and no mention of the Potato Digger 7X57.

TR will always be a dent in American egos as he still spotlights how a lot of lives are wasted. My Lord, what a treasure.

That is all.
Wait, What?
Not at all what I would have pictured you looking like

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was when I was in the Farce. Never occurred to me before then and strangely not that far off base. Now it's more a half-assed Duck Dynasty.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's cool is I could still pull major poosy cruising in a road grader even without a glitter/flame paint job.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention how it was hard to not crack up at the way she said THEE-O-dore Rosievelt. I'm from the Hills, her mother from Georgia and she in the mix of Nodak kids. The obvious confusion in inflection was hilarious. Her mother lost all of her pretty drawl a bit after this. Her older brother seemed born with an innate "TV" non-accent. I hate to hear myself speak on recording. I sound like that guy ready to shove some lard back in the pig.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67