EHD in Western ND

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aside from the maps offered by the Game and Fish, I haven't been able to find much information on the impacts of EHD by unit. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the impacts that it had on whitetail populations in the badlands areas north of the interstate? I am well aware of the impact it had around the Bisman area, but have heard very little about the areas out west on the north side of interstate.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think it hit everything west of the missouri pretty good from what i heard and saw. we chase roosters quite a ways up north and saw more than a few dead deer.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the Knife River N to the Missouri the whitetails took a whoopn’.

Eastern edge of 4A got beaten up too, maybe all of it but I saw it on the E edge.

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
South central ND along Missouri River corridor got decimated.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My sister has a cabin in 4A. I was talking to my BIL last week about draws and he said it's smoked. My old stomping grounds are in southcentral. It's pretty typical to see well over 100 whitetail an evening while hunting; last year none of my family members even took the time to sit and hunt. From the sounds of it, you could count the number of deer they saw in November 2021 on your dick and still have one leftover.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
4A got midge-stomped

6iz9a0.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its terrible in allot of units west of the Missouri. I drew a muzzleloader tag on my 14th try last year, I gave it back. Last year not a single deer was shot by any of my family members even nieces and nephews. And this year we all just put in for preference points. Its going to take a long long time to recover from this mess.

Bubba

Luckily for the areas affected whitetail populations can bounce back in just a few years in favorable conditions. So far it seems like their will be a good number of fawns which is a good start. Its extremely unfortunate for those that hunt in the areas with the tag cuts. I can’t help but wonder how many high schoolers and fellow 20 somethings quit applying because of lack of opportunity though.......

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If someone quits applying simply because the tags have gotten more scarce, then they just weren't cut out to be a hunter. When I first started applying for a deer tag back in the early 80s, there weren't enough tags to go around and you had a legitimate chance of not getting a tag. And here I am some 40 yrs later, still applying.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If someone quits applying simply because the tags have gotten more scarce, then they just weren't cut out to be a hunter. When I first started applying for a deer tag back in the early 80s, there weren't enough tags to go around and you had a legitimate chance of not getting a tag. And here I am some 40 yrs later, still applying.[/QU

Back in 1972 when I started Deer hunting you could apply for a Doe tag and shoot either a Buck or a Doe. Or you could buy a Buck lic over the counter, yes in N.D. The Soilbank days were over and had a few bad winters and deer numbers were down.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75