trolling motor speeds

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 112 Ulterra on a 1850 ranger reatta and it doesn't have as much power as I think it should. very light winds, no waves and max was 1.5-1.8 mph. If 1 of the 3 batteries was bad would that be the cause? What should I expect for speed out of this combo with no wind/waves?

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Morning!
You should be able to see speeds north of 2.5mph easily enough, especially in the conditions you described. That motor is meant to yank around even the biggest of walleye rigs.

I would disconnect and load test each battery individually. While it may show full voltage, the reserve may not be there to handle the high current draw. If this is a new problem this season, I would point pretty confidently to this.

Another possibility if this has been an ongoing problem is that you have a large enough TM plug at the bow. If the boat was originally wired for a 24v system, that plug may not be handling the current load either. I have seen where conversions to 36v, someone hits the rabbit button on their remote and all of a sudden the TM plug starts burning up from the sudden current load. You should have a 3 prong, twist lock type plug at the bow or a screw in battery tender brand plug, not a round 2 pin type connector.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I'd have to think it is most certainly underperforming. I run a 24V, 80 LB Ulterra on a 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman. I get up to 4 mph with it on there under the calm conditions. I also use that same 80 lb motor on my 22 ft tritoon and it pushes that well over 2.5 mph. The toon in particular should be heavier and less efficient than your Ranger.

As noted above, if there's anything in between your batteries and the trolling motor that is limiting the current the motor is requesting, it should be glowing from the heat of serving as an unintended restriction.

Maybe to confirm if it's the batteries and not the motor, do you know anyone who also has a 36V setup that would allow you to swap out the motors? It wouldn't take long to put the blame on the motor or the electrical supply.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 112 Ulterra on a 1850 ranger reatta and it doesn't have as much power as I think it should. very light winds, no waves and max was 1.5-1.8 mph. If 1 of the 3 batteries was bad would that be the cause? What should I expect for speed out of this combo with no wind/waves?

I have a Yar-Craft 186 which is very similar in weight/drag to your hull. I have a 24V 80# Terrova and I get 2.2-2.5 wide open.

If you find a bad battery in the bank, check your charger @ the same time and make sure all 3 banks are charging as well.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Yar-Craft 186 which is very similar in weight/drag to your hull. I have a 24V 80# Terrova and I get 2.2-2.5 wide open.

I have the same trolling motor with a 1850 Tyee and 2.5 with mine.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I replaced the 3 bank charger and I could get 2.4 into a pretty stiff wind/chop so I think my issue is fixed. I didn't have a chance to really test it out with how windy it was but it's much much better.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDA at it's finest! Good Work Gents! Helping out a fellow outdoorsy guy WITHOUT political or emotional toiletries. Well Done!!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found it better to not charge batteries after each use. I put in a few hours on a Saturday trolling a fairly calm day, and I will let them sit until at least one more use.
Charging a battery that is 90% seems like a bad idea, dad would claim charge memory in em.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could see similar if you have a seal out and your brushes are starting to fail. If line ever got wrapped around the prop and the rubber seal is shot it the first symptom is reduced power. Check batteries as suggested first tho.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Does anyone ever wish the speeds were by the 1/4's instead of the 1/2's?

Sometimes 2 is too slow, and 2.5 is too fast .... or am I on an island with this one?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone ever with the speeds were by the 1/4's instead of the 1/2's?

Sometimes 2 is too slow, and 2.5 is too fast .... or am I on an island with this one?

No doubt! Raising your big motor up or down will help some.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75